NICE! Intel i7 Overclock

So I upgraded to an i7 (Details in sig). I was waffling on an i7 vs. an i5. I picked all the stuff up yesterday. GOt everything swapped out and put back together.

I had picked a CM Sniper case but had some issues with with the way they wired it. After some research I got everything hooked up. I rerouted the wiring and cables to get the best airflow. After getting 7 installed (party host) I started doing some playing around and getting familiar with this BIOS, I set the bclk to 180 right away, set the vcore to 1.3 for the CPU and set the memory to 2:10 so it runs @ 1800. BAM! This thing runs like champ. Let it run all night and no errors. Intel's best OC since the 440BX days.

Glad I went with the i7.

While the i7 oc potential is definitely good, I wouldn't call what you've done the 'best since the 440bx days'; C2D's and C2Q's have been pushing over 50% oc's for ages. You should be able to do the OC you have with a lot less voltage, like stock. Unless you have a really bad clocking c0, 1.3 shouldn't be necessary until you're north of 4ghz, try dropping the volts incrementally and save yourself some heat and power.

Not trying to be a crapper, just continue to tweak that thing and it will get even sweeter.

Unless you have a really bad clocking c0, 1.3 shouldn't be necessary until you're north of 4ghz, try dropping the volts incrementally and save yourself some heat and power.

my d0 i7 920 needs 1.35v for 3700mhz

Alright, maybe I've been jaded by all the 3.8 stock oc's that get posted around here. My point was he should try to dial in his voltages tight to avoid excess heat and power usage where it may not be necessary.

So I upgraded to an i7 (Details in sig). I was waffling on an i7 vs. an i5. I picked all the stuff up yesterday. GOt everything swapped out and put back together.

I had picked a CM Sniper case but had some issues with with the way they wired it. After some research I got everything hooked up. I rerouted the wiring and cables to get the best airflow. After getting 7 installed (party host) I started doing some playing around and getting familiar with this BIOS, I set the bclk to 180 right away, set the vcore to 1.3 for the CPU and set the memory to 2:10 so it runs @ 1800. BAM! This thing runs like champ. Let it run all night and no errors. Intel's best OC since the 440BX days.

Glad I went with the i7.

Oh, 440BX! I am getting old.

It depends a lot on the chip you have and the cooler. I'm doing 4.1 on my d0 and my voltage is only 1.258. But I've seen people who have needed 1.4v just to do 4.0ghz. And yes the 920d0 is an overclocking beast. I can get mine to 4.2 but it's not linpack stable. 4.1 is Linpack stable so that's my 24/7 settings. I'd probably need to do a lot of tweaking to get it to 4.2 and linpack stable. Not sure the extra 100mhz is worth it though, LOL.

Well since this my 1st i7 OC, I thought I might take a bit and see how it does and adjust any mem timings, and adjust the fan on the heatsink. I did a reinstall of 7, I am reinstalling CoD4 as I type.

Let the games begin....

Back