Nikon D80 DSLR Owners COME here

d3viant

Limp Gawd
Just wanted to start a thread on the Nikon D80 DSLR .
I just recently made the purchase and hope to share
thoughts and ideas related to the camers . and maybe
sure some pictures and suggestions .

D3v

I'm planning on taking the dive this summer on a D80, they are amazing cameras.

I have the D50 w/ the 18-135mm lens, it does a good job (especially since it is the first SLR/DSLR camera I have used)

What lens are you using?

I'm planning on taking the dive this summer on a D80, they are amazing cameras.

I'm also planning on getting the D80 during summer when i have saved enough cash. I think i'll just get the kit lens 18-135mm, I hear its good enough for a beginner.

I bought into the D80 with 50mm lens and 18-70mm lens.
I'll add the 70-300mm in a few months . The camera should
be here tomorrow sometime ! hopefully anyways. can't wait.
its my first DSLR camers . first digital cam for that matter.

I have a D80 with the 18-200mm VR lens. I recently got a speedlight, just the SB-400, but it makes a HUGE improvement for indoor pictures.

i'll be getting one probably withing the next week or two with an 18-135 lens. this will be my first DSLR... quite an upgrade from a Coolpix cam :D

I have one and, love it. But it does take some getting used to, especially if you came from using a D50 or, a P&S. Here are a couple of shots I did about 2 weeks ago, with my D80 and, 80-400 VR.
145955135-L.jpg

The link to a larger size http://Joves.smugmug.com/photos/145955135-O.jpg
145955164-L.jpg

Again the larger. http://Joves.smugmug.com/photos/145955164-O.jpg
I actually need to do a little post processing but, I have been lazy lately. That and, a crop wouldnt hurt. ;) Actually picked the wrong goose pic sorry. The original needs alot of work.

just bought one as well, I would recommend the 50mm f1.8 af-d as an absolute must for a beginner since it has many convenient limitations and a great spectrum of depth of field which you can play with to learn photography., I wouldnt buy the d40 kit 18-55 which is plasticky. 70-200 (The old ones too) are good teles. hmm, thats all. and the 35-70 af-d is a good mid-range lens that would work well with portraits and has some macro capabilities. I think depending on your needs, a combination of a sigma 10 -20 or a tamron 12-24 and a 35-70 is a really nice way to go if you have wallet concerns, you could skip the wide and buy a tele instead depending on your need, or you might get the wide and the tele and skip midrange, or buy a 50 1.8 afd for the midrange. Wow lots of options :)

Oh and you could always be ahappy with 18-135, its a good beginners lens, the only restriction being limited play on the depth of field. get a used nifty fifty (the 50mm 1.8d to go with it, and you're set)

Nice posts !!

IM still testing my D80 , I got the 50MM 1.8 and the 17-70 lens
should be a good start !! still testing the features . love to see
some more pics or links.

I have my Nikon D80 for about 7 months now and this Monday I start a photography course at a local college for I want to be able to take better pictures.

Here's just a small sample of what I have taken so far :
466599760_887b971be7.jpg

Nice posts !!

IM still testing my D80 , I got the 50MM 1.8 and the 17-70 lens
should be a good start !! still testing the features . love to see
some more pics or links.

A word of Advice to help you a bit. Go into Optimize Image in the camera menu section. Go to Custom then to you sub commands. You want to set Image Sharpening to +2, Tone Compensation to =1 and,Saturation to IIIa, I have my Saturation set to Enhanced. These setting will only work in the manual modes M,A,S and,P.Before I did those settings I was kind of disapointed. But now Im as happy as, a clam. :D

I am just a bit sad by the use of the SD instead of the CF on these. I guess that's a moot point though.

I've owned a D80 for a few months now. I've recently bought from new lenses, including 50mm f/1.8, 12-14mm, 85mm f/1.4, and the gorgeous 18-200mm VR

I just ordered my D80 yesterday, it should be here early next week. I can't wait. The D80 just felt right in my hands compared to the D40 or D200. And it was a good balance of features and performance.

This is what I ended up getting.

Nikon D80 with 18-55mm kit lense
Nikkor 18-200mm VR DX (didn't think anyone would have it in stock, but JR.com just got some :D )
Nikon SB-400 flash
Hoya Super HMC UV filter
4gb Transcend 150x SD card
Tamrac Velocity 6x cam bag

A word of Advice to help you a bit. Go into Optimize Image in the camera menu section. Go to Custom then to you sub commands. You want to set Image Sharpening to +2, Tone Compensation to =1 and,Saturation to IIIa, I have my Saturation set to Enhanced. These setting will only work in the manual modes M,A,S and,P.Before I did those settings I was kind of disapointed. But now Im as happy as, a clam. :D
Typically, DSLRs require more post-processing than compacts, since they have much more "true-to-life" and conservative outputs. Compacts often oversaturate and increase the contrasts too much, leading to a loss of colour fidelity and dynamic range. With a DSLR, you should really just shoot in RAW and then adjust it in Adobe Camera RAW or the RAW management application provided by the camera manufactorer. You should never expect a DSLR to give images that you can immediately print out or put online without any post-processing!

4gb Transcend 150x SD card
What are the prices like over there? At Amazon.co.uk, the 2GB 150x Transends are slightly cheaper per gigabyte than the 4GB ones.

In the US, 4gb cards range from $42-50 including shipping. I got the Transcend for $50 with shipping. It's faster than the Sandisk Ultra II's. That's why I chose to go with it even though it's more expensive than other brands. A 2gb Ultra II is $30. And of course there is no 4gb Extreme III.

In the US, 4gb cards range from $42-50 including shipping. I got the Transcend for $50 with shipping. It's faster than the Sandisk Ultra II's. That's why I chose to go with it even though it's more expensive than other brands. A 2gb Ultra II is $30. And of course there is no 4gb Extreme III.

The Sandisk Extreme lll 4 gig is like $200 last time I saw one at Circut City. But that is very cost prohibitive considering I can get abunch of Ultra lls for the same price.

I paid about £10 each for my 2GB Transends, and the 4 gig one was about £25. Odd, that's about the same price! Usually, cheap electronics are twice the price here (UK).

Back