Nintendo CEO: Don’t Just Blame Piracy

John_Keck

Limp Gawd
Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata does not think it’s wise for companies to attribute bad software sales solely on piracy. It’s nice to see a company acknowledge that piracy, while harmful, is not to blame for all of their woes.

"Even with piracy, as long as we can create products which can attract attention from many consumers and which can greatly entertain them, that software can make it to the number one position of the hit software sales chart."

wow, impressed to hear that from them, considering how long the Wii has been able to be modified, i guess with the fact that they still make money as he said, they are aware of the market more so then other companies.

Yeah WII was modded right off the bat with lots of piracy and still is the number one selling console. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

NO way LIES!

There is no way that more and more games being shipped with bugs, or just being incomplete, or charging for extra feature that are part of the core game play, could have anything to do with the lack of sales with the majority of new releases. :eek:

It has to be a few hundred people stealing, that are to blame for their failures.

A CEO who actually has the ability to intelligently reason? :confused: Clearly this guy is not privy to the types of "Golden Parachutes" for lack of performance that US CEO's are, otherwise he would be on the "Piracy is to blame for everything!" bandwagon. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, it is indeed nice to hear intelligence coming from a CEO of a Software company.

NO way LIES!

There is no way that more and more games being shipped with bugs, or just being incomplete, or charging for extra feature that are part of the core game play, could have anything to do with the lack of sales with the majority of new releases. :eek:

It has to be a few hundred people stealing, that are to blame for their failures.

Nobody is stealing. It's violating copyright.
And of the people that pirated it that would have purchased a license without piracy being an option, it is more than the few hundred you claim, and far less than the hundreds of thousands of copies typically claimed by the industry.

But at least someone has accepted the truth. Shitty games fail.

Honestly the data has always been there.

The gaming industry on aggregate is growing, yet at the same time piracy has grown.

The most popular games are also the most pirated.

The least popular games are also the least pirated.

Does piracy affect game sales? Yes. Is it even remotely close to being the most significant cause of whether a game is commercial success? No. Not every product can be a commercial success, this is true across and industry.

Consumers need to let companies know that while they are fine with them protecting there property via anti-piracy measures, it should not come at the expense of inconveniencing actual customers, and not fall for the blatantly misleading emotional appeal that harsh measures are needed to save the industry.

Was it senior Gates or who of Microsoft that embraced privacy solely for the reason that people would be using their product over competition's?

Yeah WII was modded right off the bat with lots of piracy and still is the number one selling console. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

But the console with the lowest attach rate (accessories/games etc), this can be attributed to the crappy games mostly though.

But the console with the lowest attach rate (accessories/games etc), this can be attributed to the crappy games mostly though.

Luckily, Nintendo makes money on every Wii sold, and has from the start. Unlike the PS3 and 360, Nintendo never had to rely on a high attach rate to make a profit.

Its about time someone in a high ranking position in the gaming industry comes out and nails the common scape goat right on the head.

I'm so sick of this failed reasoning be used as the cause for all failed PC game launches.

Given Nintento's success,I'd listen to the guy if I were the other companies.

The thing is that Nintendo's success is in tapping new markets for people who weren't considered the core gamer catagory and getting a good chunk of that new casual gamer market.

These are also exactly the people who are least likely to pirate, like your grandpa burning Wii games to play bowling or your mom buying flash carts for NDS.

Nintendo has been stepping up the copy protection on both the Wii and the DS over the last couple years, but doesn't seem to matter. Every time they implement something new, it's broken within a few week.

I've seen DS games, already patched to disable the copy protection, available on the internet a day or two before the game was even released in the stores.

People pirate the crap out of DS games too. :p

Is there any other console that's pirated as much as the NES? You have the entire NES library built into China DVD players and their MP5's have NES emulators built into the firmware :D

Says a guy that has no stake in the PC market.

What does that have to do with anything? What, you think console games never get pirated? :rolleyes:

Oh and kudos to Nintendo. I honestly did not expect something so enlightened from them.

Anyone with critical thinking skills realized a long time ago that piracy (while a problem) is the major scapegoat for makers of mediocre and just plain bad games. I'm just surprised to see an industry big dog come out and admit it.

Back