Nintendo not allowing online play for wii...

Technoob

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.nintendowii!!!!!!.com/2007/03/03/snk-president-talks-about-neo-geo-on-the-vc/

Kind of bummed about how poor nintendo's online service and offerings for online play on the wii are. When they announced virtual console, I really was looking forward to playing contra, super dodgeball, double dragon, etc online with friends. Crappy emulators can do it, why not nintendo. Add to that the lack of online in wii games, and it's somewhat disappointing for those of us who don't have a group of people who come play in their basement every night.

Online = hook up with friends to play games, no matter where they live. Wish nintendo was doing a better job with this.

Link doesn't work

Don't really care about VC games not being online. Want to read the rest of the article about other games though. From my understanding regular (future) wii games will be capable of online play.

http://www.nintendowii!!!!!!.com/2007/03/03/snk-president-talks-about-neo-geo-on-the-vc/

Kind of bummed about how poor nintendo's online service and offerings for online play on the wii are. When they announced virtual console, I really was looking forward to playing contra, super dodgeball, double dragon, etc online with friends. Crappy emulators can do it, why not nintendo. Add to that the lack of online in wii games, and it's somewhat disappointing for those of us who don't have a group of people who come play in their basement every night.

Online = hook up with friends to play games, no matter where they live. Wish nintendo was doing a better job with this.

Remember that Nintendo took a different strategy in this generation. They decided not to take their ball and go home, they instead decided to create their own ball, their own game, and try to attract a new audience.

If you don't like that strategy, you shouldn't have bought a Wii. It's that simple. Nintendo was honest with their intentions. I personally love my Wii but I bought a 360 because the Wii wasn't providing the HD gaming I wanted (amongst other things). Don't blame Nintendo for not delivering everything you wanted despite their never suggesting those things as possibilities.

If you don't like that strategy, you shouldn't have bought a Wii. It's that simple. Nintendo was honest with their intentions. I personally love my Wii but I bought a 360 because the Wii wasn't providing the HD gaming I wanted (amongst other things). Don't blame Nintendo for not delivering everything you wanted despite their never suggesting those things as possibilities.
Except for the small fact that Nintendo _did_ promise online gaming. Denying third parties access to online gaming is un-necessary and dumb.

I don't know what's with them these days - they've actually got a popular console, but they seem to be trying as hard as possible to turn it into the Gamecube again...

Except for the small fact that Nintendo _did_ promise online gaming. Denying third parties access to online gaming is un-necessary and dumb.

I don't know what's with them these days - they've actually got a popular console, but they seem to be trying as hard as possible to turn it into the Gamecube again...

It's probably not ready yet, I think Smash Brothers Brawl will be the first online game for the wii.

They promised it, but never set a hard date as to when. My guess is that maybe they are trying to get it implemented properly as opposed to half assed as Sony did with the PS3.

Right now, Wii is riding high, and I personally am not missing an online gaming function for it. I mean alot of the VC titles it really does not apply. For the majority of the people getting Wii's this is not a concern to them. For the hardcore, I'm sure it is, but this system was not designed for the hardcore.

It's still early in 2007, so let's see what the rest of the year holds.

Remember that Nintendo took a different strategy in this generation. They decided not to take their ball and go home, they instead decided to create their own ball, their own game, and try to attract a new audience.

Thanks for reading the link (or googling for it elsewhere, if that didn't work) before you posted. Nintendo is not allowing third party developers to include online play in their titles. They promoted this as accessible to third party developers and now they're completely shafting them. End of story.

They promised it, but never set a hard date as to when. My guess is that maybe they are trying to get it implemented properly as opposed to half assed as Sony did with the PS3.

a) Sony's online service is infinitely better than nintendo's.
b) Nintendo will never roll out a persistent service, something that sony already has. Their "online" is letting developers run everything themselves. Right now, they're refusing to give third party developers the tools to do it themselves. I see no logical reason for this other than a desire to further promote their own first party games.

You have to keep in mind, when the original Xbox released, it was a year before Live was online and available to everybody. Still, it's not a great excuse for Nintendo, since they had the ability to do online games with the GameCube, and all the time between then, and the launch of the Wii could have been better spent getting their network running (seems like they haven't invested the time that the other two have).

Hopefully they get on the ball though. I thought, and am still hoping, Nintendo will finally give proper online gaming to us, with the Wii, but it hasn't happened yet.

Much as I hate to compliment Sony, their online isn't half-assed. As good as XBL? No way. More or less usable for a free service? Yeah, I'd agree with that. I still prefer XBL, fee or not, but Sony's service isn't any worse than, say, PC gaming. The Playstation Home stuff, if it's as good as rumored, is going to be a major enhancement as well.

Nintendo had years to work on their online service, starting with the release of the Gamecube ethernet adapter and, later, the DS. They did practically nothing, and now the competition, which actually bothered to invest time and resources, is screwing them to the wall in this area. I'm not giving Nintendo a free pass on this one, and no one else should, either, when you find out crazy stuff like this.

What is so half-assed about Sony's online..?

I have the PS3, and for not having to pay for anything (like XBL) I think that what Sony has done thus far has met my expectations. Its free, I have a login (like steam) that tracks what games I've bought, allows me to message friends, create a friend list, browse the internet (in HD), use my USB wireless keyboard and mouse to browse the internet, play games online for free.... Ridge Racer 7, Madden 07, R:FoM (all with no problems), and soon I'll be picking up MotorStorm and be able to play that online... So what exactly is half "assed" about it.

I would be disappointed if my Wii turned out to be another GC... :( (online aspect)

although i prefer Xbox live, PS3's service is free and does what it needs to do.
nothing "half-assed" about it.

a) Sony's online service is infinitely better than nintendo's.
b) Nintendo will never roll out a persistent service, something that sony already has. Their "online" is letting developers run everything themselves. Right now, they're refusing to give third party developers the tools to do it themselves. I see no logical reason for this other than a desire to further promote their own first party games.

Infinitely better? I don't see that at all. I find more interesting things OTHER than online gameplay in the Wii. You still don't see the market difference yet as to which each is targetting.

Where have you read from Nintendo that they will never roll out a persistent service or completely locking out 3rd parties indefinitely? One article with two references from outside developers does not make it final. I will wait to hear it from the company itself.

As far as which company is promoting their own products, sheesh BLU RAY. Talk about self interest. Sony is king of that. Your taking statements from other parties, to draw a conclusion for Nintendo that may or may not be true, but who you defend has already forced consumers to buy their product so you get locked into their movie format (since they are a movie company, and electronics manufacturer). Nice try but no dice.

Infinitely better? I don't see that at all. I find more interesting things OTHER than online gameplay in the Wii. You still don't see the market difference yet as to which each is targetting.

Where have you read from Nintendo that they will never roll out a persistent service or completely locking out 3rd parties indefinitely? One article with two references from outside developers does not make it final. I will wait to hear it from the company itself.

As far as which company is promoting their own products, sheesh BLU RAY. Talk about self interest. Sony is king of that. Your taking statements from other parties, to draw a conclusion for Nintendo that may or may not be true, but who you defend has already forced consumers to buy their product so you get locked into their movie format (since they are a movie company, and electronics manufacturer). Nice try but no dice.

Well, the fact that Sony actually has an online service to play games makes it better doesn't it? And that means better in the sense of online capabilities. It has nothing to do with other interesting things on the console.
I thought you were supposed to promote your own products? And I thought we all established that Blu Ray isn't just Sony's alone. I don't think I follow your argument there.

As for the Wii, why would Nintendo restrict the addition of online capabilities to games? I just don't get what their intention is.

You miss the point entirely, aside from being completely wrong as others have pointed out, since they have always promoted online gaming as a feature of the Wii.

If you like a company, and want them to succeed, you should expect and hope for them to do good things with their products. Wii comes with online capability straight from the box. Denying 3rd party devs the tools to make use of what they say will be a feature is just stupid. Complaining about lack of online features on the wii isn't the same as saying "omg I bought the wii expecting better graphics than the 360 and ps3." Pay attention.

Nintendo is on the ball here. Sure the "hardcore" will complain about Nintendo limiting online, but it does so for a very good reason. We all have seen the NBC documentaries "to catch a predator", and we all know that the internet can be quite a dangerous place. Look at the XBL system; there is still quite a bit of inappropriate content despite noteworthy efforts to police that network. Racism, sexism, sex, cussing; you name it, it comes with online play. Yea, I know it's cliché, but "think of the children" for once.

I'm not saying that only kids play Nintendo. I am well aware many grown persons also play Nintendo. However, look at some of Nintendo's flagship brands; they are either directly targeted towards children (eg Pokémon), or have spill over appeal (Mario, Zelda etc). Nintendo must balance the demands of its adult fanbase against the responsibility it has to society (It is unethical to target a younger demographic then knowingly put them in harm).

Nintendo cannot and should not have the pervasive online that PSN and XBL are offering, unless they can reasonably police that service. The solutions we've seen Nintendo use thus far are very suitable compromises (such as the friend codes). The "hardcore" may not be very fond of it, but it is still a very good thing for the family.

Nintendo is on the ball here. Sure the "hardcore" will complain about Nintendo limiting online, but it does so for a very good reason. We all have seen the NBC documentaries "to catch a predator", and we all know that the internet can be quite a dangerous place. Look at the XBL system; there is still quite a bit of inappropriate content despite noteworthy efforts to police that network. Racism, sexism, sex, cussing; you name it, it comes with online play. Yea, I know it's cliché, but "think of the children" for once.

I'm not saying that only kids play Nintendo. I am well aware many grown persons also play Nintendo. However, look at some of Nintendo's flagship brands; they are either directly targeted towards children (eg Pokémon), or have spill over appeal (Mario, Zelda etc). Nintendo must balance the demands of its adult fanbase against the responsibility it has to society (It is unethical to target a younger demographic then knowingly put them in harm).

Nintendo cannot and should not have the pervasive online that PSN and XBL are offering, unless they can reasonably police that service. The solutions we've seen Nintendo use thus far are very suitable compromises (such as the friend codes). The "hardcore" may not be very fond of it, but it is still a very good thing for the family.

oh god. You must work for nintendo, and I'd guess you're responsible for the "friend codes keep the pedophiles out" nonsense. Besides...totally not the point of the article either.

I can't even play games online *with* the pedophile protector friend codes...if nintendo is as concerned about the horrors of connecting online, they shouldn't have included wireless out of the box, sorry.

Bottom line, until someone points out to an official article from a Nintendo spokesperson, this is only slightly more than a rumour/hearsay.

The Sony F'boys think they have something to harp on after being the whipping boy for the past year. Good luck with that while your system is being outsold and gathering dust in stores.

A 3rd party developer would be in position to know what they are and are not being provided with. No sony fanb oyism here, I like nintendo, and want them to do good things online. The only fanb oys are the ones who can't bear to see a single negative thing about the console they are in love with.

Well, the fact that Sony actually has an online service to play games makes it better doesn't it? And that means better in the sense of online capabilities. It has nothing to do with other interesting things on the console.
I thought you were supposed to promote your own products? And I thought we all established that Blu Ray isn't just Sony's alone. I don't think I follow your argument there.

As for the Wii, why would Nintendo restrict the addition of online capabilities to games? I just don't get what their intention is.

Spiff made the point that Wii was not allowing third parties to do online in their own self interests, which my BluRay point was about.

Sony is HUGE part of BluRay, not the only player in it, but out of the rest they have fingers in all the pieces. Movie, Music, players, and the PS3.

Why should Nintendo be the adult/parent? Isn't that the job of the real parents? How about "parental-controls?" Why should the limit their online capablities to just keep things clean for the kids? Doesn't the Wii play the game that you select/put in it?

You talk about people cusing over a mic or spaming foul language... What if the online game you are playing... (that is kid related ) pokemon has a chat filter, or doessnt allow mic's. I don't have a Wii, but I know my PS3 has parental controls, games have ERSP ratings, which are coded into the game, so that if you pop something in that is not ment for your 5 yr old cousin, someone with the code is the only way to let them in...

Nintendo shouldnt hold back because they think their online community is all kids and families.

A 3rd party developer would be in position to know what they are and are not being provided with. No sony fanb oyism here, I like nintendo, and want them to do good things online. The only fanb oys are the ones who can't bear to see a single negative thing about the console they are in love with.

One 3rd party with his point of view and no counterpoint. It's just annoying when people who take one thing and say they are stopping ALL 3rd party developers. Sheesh you must take the Weekly World News as gospel with your thinking.

Sorry not in love here, just want to see the facts straight, all of them.

The president of SNK, who develops for the Wii and has close relationships as a dev with Nintendo is equal to the weekly world news? Care to try again? As much as you don't want to believe it, I'd trust what the president of a major game development company developing for the wii has to say, over your hunch that it might not be true.

The president of SNK, who develops for the Wii and has close relationships as a dev with Nintendo is equal to the weekly world news? Care to try again? As much as you don't want to believe it, I'd trust what the president of a major game development company developing for the wii has to say, over your hunch that it might not be true.

Only hearing from one equals all? With no response from the accused? That's my point.

Glad you didn't write our legal system.

Unfortunately you missed my other point, relying on one source no matter who it is and claiming it as gospel is never good, the WWN was the best example of a single source that most would not rely upon, not an insult to SNK.

It may be true, and it might not be, and honestly I don't care how it turns out, online for me is maybe on the 360 but mostly on my PC.

This whole thing at this point in time is 1 developer and their version.

Easier to tell where you're coming from now at least: You don't care, so you dismiss out of hand. At least you're honest about it this time.

Easier to tell where you're coming from now at least: You don't care, so you dismiss out of hand. At least you're honest about it this time.

I didn't dismiss anything other than it's not a matter of beating you, but what the TRUTH is. If this is your best comeback to my comments, I think speaks for itself.

It may be true, and it might not be, and honestly I don't care how it turns out, online for me is maybe on the 360 but mostly on my PC.

You obviously don't care (per your own words...although it IS only one source...so I probably shouldn't believe you) about the Wii's online capabilities, so why bother to comment? Those of us who do care about the Wii's promises of online play, and want the wii to succeed, obviously hope they'll get on the ball with online play. Anyone who pretends nintendo is on top of online play just isn't paying attention.

That's enough for me though. I'd like to see the Wii do the right thing, and join ...the *last* generation. I'd even be happy if the wii was as good as the DS in the online world. It's not, no denying it, and I hope it gets better.

As long as Smash Brothers and Mario Kart are online I'll be happy.
If not...oh man...

You obviously don't care (per your own words...although it IS only one source...so I probably shouldn't believe you) about the Wii's online capabilities, so why bother to comment? Those of us who do care about the Wii's promises of online play, and want the wii to succeed, obviously hope they'll get on the ball with online play. Anyone who pretends nintendo is on top of online play just isn't paying attention.

That's enough for me though. I'd like to see the Wii do the right thing, and join ...the *last* generation. I'd even be happy if the wii was as good as the DS in the online world. It's not, no denying it, and I hope it gets better.

What I care about still doesn't change the point that one developer does not equal all of them.

Why should Nintendo be the adult/parent? Isn't that the job of the real parents? How about "parental-controls?" Why should the limit their online capablities to just keep things clean for the kids? Doesn't the Wii play the game that you select/put in it?

You talk about people cusing over a mic or spaming foul language... What if the online game you are playing... (that is kid related ) pokemon has a chat filter, or doessnt allow mic's. I don't have a Wii, but I know my PS3 has parental controls, games have ERSP ratings, which are coded into the game, so that if you pop something in that is not ment for your 5 yr old cousin, someone with the code is the only way to let them in...

Nintendo shouldnt hold back because they think their online community is all kids and families.

I'm more of a realist than that. I know some (very good, caring) parents out there don't see the threat on online video games. If they see a chat window or emails from a stranger, they know (from the NBC specials, nightly TV news, or various Lifetime Movie Network shows) about the danger posed. But online gaming is new, and relatively unknown by parents. This makes it an attractive option for preying of naive children (usually by griefers, but occasionally something worse may happen).

You can clearly see the need for regulation in games like Pokemon. However, kids don't only play Pokemon, they also have games like PGR3, games that advertised for all ages. Those games flash "experience may change in online play", but your average (good, well meaning) parent will just check the ESRB rating ('E') and buy it. That is what happens in the real-world. Log onto PGR3 right now, and within a day you will find some kid screwing around there.

Nobody can be super-parent. Nobody can go completely in-depth and research every purchase. Companies have to step up, and accept that they bear some responsibility for the products they bring to market. I am very happy that Nintendo is proceeding cautiously with their online strategy.

I'm more of a realist than that. I know some (very good, caring) parents out there don't see the threat on online video games. If they see a chat window or emails from a stranger, they know (from the NBC specials, nightly TV news, or various Lifetime Movie Network shows) about the danger posed. But online gaming is new, and relatively unknown by parents. This makes it an attractive option for preying of naive children (usually by griefers, but occasionally something worse may happen).

You can clearly see the need for regulation in games like Pokemon. However, kids don't only play Pokemon, they also have games like PGR3, games that advertised for all ages. Those games flash "experience may change in online play", but your average (good, well meaning) parent will just check the ESRB rating ('E') and buy it. That is what happens in the real-world. Log onto PGR3 right now, and within a day you will find some kid screwing around there.

Nobody can be super-parent. Nobody can go completely in-depth and research every purchase. Companies have to step up, and accept that they bear some responsibility for the products they bring to market. I am very happy that Nintendo is proceeding cautiously with their online strategy.

If it makes any difference to you, I am a parent. I have a 7 month little girl, and she is growing faster than I could imagine. As a parent, its my job to watch over my little girl and be involved in the activities she chooses to interest her self in. If its video games, soccer, baseball, chess, MTV, etc, I should be involved in making sure what she is doing is appropriate for her age.

Its time for more parents to be less lazy and become more involved with what their children are doing. If their kids are into gaming, they should sit down with their child as they play, watch what the child is watching. If something becomes un-appropriate then the parent needs to be the adult and either restrict or modify what their child is doing until it is appropriate.

Its just not fair to leave a company like Nintendo to be the responsable parent, and those out there that arn't parents (or those that are, like me) shouldn't be limited to the online community because of other peoples unwillingness to parent their children.

Its time for more parents to be less lazy and become more involved with what their children are doing. If their kids are into gaming, they should sit down with their child as they play, watch what the child is watching. If something becomes un-appropriate then the parent needs to be the adult and either restrict or modify what their child is doing until it is appropriate.

Its just not fair to leave a company like Nintendo to be the responsable parent, and those out there that arn't parents (or those that are, like me) shouldn't be limited to the online community because of other peoples unwillingness to parent their children.

I see where you are coming from, and yes, I would appreciate online games for the Wii (pokemon pvp battles is a dream of mine). I still recognize and commend Nintendo's position though.

I don't have kids, but I do want corporations looking out for families. The more kids we allow to get screwed up, the worse off we will be, as a society. That affects us all, parents and non-parents alike. Blaming bad parents won't change that, and may infact be counterproductive (it serves to distract from the real issue at hand, in this case online gaming). The phrase "it takes a village to raise a child" is appropriate here; we need corporate responsibility, in addition to good parenting. It is not one or the other.

The statement about calling other parents "lazy" aggravates me though. Some parents just don't have the option to watch their kid 24/7; maybe they are single parents, maybe they have to go to work, maybe they are just fed up. You can't know their circumstances, and it is rather obnoxious to consider them lazy if they don't watch their child every second of the day. There are some very good parents who try, but they cannot fight against the world.

Just when you thought Nintendo's pathetic online system couldn't get any worse. I seriously don't understand why Nintendo is being so strict about online. First the annoying & unnecessary friends code and now this.

They should just import aol messenger or something inside the wii and have lobbys for voice chat and all that. Then when u enter a game u can see what your friends are playing and everything. They should just imitate gamespy without the extra crap lol.

I see where you are coming from, and yes, I would appreciate online games for the Wii (pokemon pvp battles is a dream of mine). I still recognize and commend Nintendo's position though.

I don't have kids, but I do want corporations looking out for families. The more kids we allow to get screwed up, the worse off we will be, as a society. That affects us all, parents and non-parents alike. Blaming bad parents won't change that, and may infact be counterproductive (it serves to distract from the real issue at hand, in this case online gaming). The phrase "it takes a village to raise a child" is appropriate here; we need corporate responsibility, in addition to good parenting. It is not one or the other.

The statement about calling other parents "lazy" aggravates me though. Some parents just don't have the option to watch their kid 24/7; maybe they are single parents, maybe they have to go to work, maybe they are just fed up. You can't know their circumstances, and it is rather obnoxious to consider them lazy if they don't watch their child every second of the day. There are some very good parents who try, but they cannot fight against the world.

I'm not saying that I disagree with companys incorporateing responsiability, what I'm saying is that the online community shouldn't suffer from it.

As I stated earlier, parental controls. How easy would it be for a parent to sit down with the console for 10 min, go through some options, turn on parental controls and turn off the internet option/MP/chat/mic/etc. Or even better yet, each time you try to access a MP game it asks for an easy 4 button PIN. .... Theres different ways to incoporate responsiability for online gameing other than limiting how big the community gets.

That sounds really odd; I wonder what the motivation behind this was. How did Elebits (not with straight online multiplay, but with content sharing) get around this?

I'm not one to just jump in on topics and completely include something off topic, but the additions of the NBC Dateline specials and other online predator investigations has forced my hand.

Everyone needs to watch "Bro Rape" on YouTube. It's hilarious.

On topic though, given that the Wii certainly has all the correct foundations for online gaming, it seems rather odd that Nintendo might choose this course of action. Certainly, they might license their tools to third party developers, just to please their audiences in the hopes of online play? Of course, nothing right now compares to Xbox Live!, in my opinion, given the organization, and sheer content available right now within the system, but I truly believe that the Wii might lose a LOT of fanbase if the Nintendo Corporation chooses not to include some form of online gaming, free or not.

Dark Assassin

Back