Nintendo Profit Dives, Others in Red Amid Slump

HardOCP News

[H] News
Nintendo says it expects its annual earnings to fall thanks in large part to slumping sales of the Wii. Nintendo isn’t the only one with problems right now, other Japanese electronics makers aren't doing so well right now either.

Nintendo's first-half profit plunged as sales of its blockbuster Wii home console lost momentum in a saturated market. The maker of Super Mario and Pokemon games now expects annual earnings to fall for the first time in six years.

I finally hooked my wii up to my new LN52B750. It looks so depressingly bad. :(

Sales tend to go down when everyone in the world already has a Wii lol

Well yeah, of course. If it's the hottest day in 100 years one day, do you really think it's going to be hotter the next?

I finally hooked my wii up to my new LN52B750. It looks so depressingly bad. :(

Yeah the Wii is only capable of 480p. It looked horrible on my LG50, but I changed the TV's pscreen ratio to 4:3 so it's not stretched across in 10:4 ratio.

At least it gave me an excuse to keep using the red/yellow/white AV cable instead of wasting ports, saving them for other devices like my HTPC and PS3.

Yeah the Wii is only capable of 480p. It looked horrible on my LG50, but I changed the TV's pscreen ratio to 4:3 so it's not stretched across in 10:4 ratio.

At least it gave me an excuse to keep using the red/yellow/white AV cable instead of wasting ports, saving them for other devices like my HTPC and PS3.

Yeah, I've got 4 HDMI ports, 3 on the back on one on the "side/back" so I'm ok there. 1 for PC (pc, not HTPC), 1 for Fios, 1 for Xbox 360 and 1 free. 2 AV which 1 is wii and the other is currently not being used. I should never have hooked my PC up to the TV though. After playing aion on it, xbox titles don't look anywhere near as nice. :(

Haha, does this mean that the guy batting 1000 for the first few weeks of the season, is considered to be in a "slump" when his average drops down to 500?

While relative sales might be down, absolute sales are still ridiculously good.

Haha, does this mean that the guy batting 1000 for the first few weeks of the season, is considered to be in a "slump" when his average drops down to 500?

While relative sales might be down, absolute sales are still ridiculously good.

The problem with this comparison is the fact that investors don't easily stick with a company when their profit margins decrease regardless how epic the highest mark vs. their current mark is. A loss in revenue compared to previous quarters is still considered a loss even if they aren't really "losing money" like Sony who still probably isn't turning a profit on each system sold.

Bottom line, if a company can't find a way to expand their market base then their is no reason to invest into them, since an investment usually means a return and then some in the future. :p

Though I would LOVE to meet the person who invests in companies and expects nothing back let alone to turn a profit, I have a company that makes a mean invisible cloaking device, I would show you proof but I can't since it's invisible... Trust me... :p

We're seeing the effects of saturation here. Just about everyone has a wii already ;)

I wonder what pc sales are vs console? j/k I know the answer to that. Maybe just maybe this will help devolopers start making games on a platform that sales more than consoles. The problem with pc only titles is they don't fucking have any tv ads.

We're seeing the effects of saturation here. Just about everyone has a wii already ;)
Yep, they could only ride that wave for so long. It's great that they are still selling them, but they won't be seeing numbers like the last couple of years. So, now they need steady quality releases to keep the licensng dollars flowing in.

Hopefully there is something in this:

http://www.neowin.net/news/gamers/0...pecs-leaked-blu-ray-enabled-and-1080p-support

I would be tempted in a trade-in if
1) they added extra stuff (not just what is listed in this "leak")
2) the part-exchange price is reasonable

Kyoto-based Nintendo Co. reported a 69.49 billion yen ($772 million) profit for the April-September period
Nintendo is still making tons of money, and doing far better than their competitors.

Nintendo said it will earn a 230 billion yen ($2.5 billion) profit
Look at what their yearly profit is. I would hardly calling making $2.5 billion in profits bad news.

The problem with this comparison is the fact that investors don't easily stick with a company when their profit margins decrease regardless how epic the highest mark vs. their current mark is. A loss in revenue compared to previous quarters is still considered a loss even if they aren't really "losing money" like Sony who still probably isn't turning a profit on each system sold.

Bottom line, if a company can't find a way to expand their market base then their is no reason to invest into them, since an investment usually means a return and then some in the future. :p

Though I would LOVE to meet the person who invests in companies and expects nothing back let alone to turn a profit, I have a company that makes a mean invisible cloaking device, I would show you proof but I can't since it's invisible... Trust me... :p

If investors leave because a company is making less of a profit than before (but still making a profit), then they can go suck a fat one. It's those kind of investors anyway that fuck markets up jumping from company to company with "liquid" assets and greed driving the way.

Anyway sorry. Tangent.

I finally hooked up an external harddrive up to my wii to play some home brew beer pong.

Sales tend to go down when everyone in the world already has a Wii lol

+1

maybe they should just take the approach of all their other HW and just start releasing different colors. I'm 100% this will drive sales..

maybe people are finally catching on that they are really shit looking rehashes of the same crap?

seriously, how many wii sports and fitness games can anyone want

maybe people are finally catching on that they are really shit looking rehashes of the same crap?

seriously, how many wii sports and fitness games can anyone want

Yep. Those games get old. It's time they put out a stream of good games like there were on the SNES. Also, how many DS versions can people also want? I think they are on their 4th version.

Gee, I watch all the commercials and Sony says the PS3 can do anything.

Anything except make money....

If investors leave because a company is making less of a profit than before (but still making a profit), then they can go suck a fat one. It's those kind of investors anyway that fuck markets up jumping from company to company with "liquid" assets and greed driving the way.

Anyway sorry. Tangent.

Haha very true, not like I support their actions, but it doesn't make their existence and consequences to their actions any less real to the companies that they are investing in.

Hopefully there is something in this:

http://www.neowin.net/news/gamers/0...pecs-leaked-blu-ray-enabled-and-1080p-support

I would be tempted in a trade-in if
1) they added extra stuff (not just what is listed in this "leak")
2) the part-exchange price is reasonable

Hmm that'd definitely be something on my shopping list. I hope they consider backwards compatibility. But this is Nintendo. They always have backwards compatibility even if it means getting an older game through their online service.

I think nintendo is in for a big surprise next generation. I'd say that half or more of the people that bought the wii are not gamers at all, and that they haven't touched their systems in a while, kind of like a treadmill.

These said people won't be buying the next wii, if that's the route nintendo decides to take. They don't care about graphics upgrade, I mean they bought it for wii fit, what do you expect.

I predict that MS and sony's motion will flop as the fad is at the end of it's life, nobody wan't motion control other than for a few minutes, then it's just an annoying feature that hopefully developers won't be trying to tack on every game.

I think nintendo is in for a big surprise next generation. I'd say that half or more of the people that bought the wii are not gamers at all, and that they haven't touched their systems in a while, kind of like a treadmill.

:rolleyes: If that were true, then Wii games wouldn't be outselling PS3 and 360 games. The Wii is number one in both hardware and game sales.

:rolleyes: If that were true, then Wii games wouldn't be outselling PS3 and 360 games. The Wii is number one in both hardware and game sales.

Yea, and there's also as many wii's as xbox and ps3's combined. You think grandma is gonna pay another $250 because the graphics got bumped up a little bit? They had better come out with something outstanding or they're screwed next gen. And bluray and better graphics ain't it.

They've essentially alienated gamers and casuals are as fickle as the weather. I wish them luck as they've got some hurdles to jump in the upcoming years.

God knows Nintendo need's to compete with the PS3 and Xbox360 to win the next generation. Lets face facts here, they own and dominate every market they compete in. Home console and handheld is falt out owned by these guys. Why? They don't cater to the [H] crowd, they know their customers ad give them what they want. Forget the miniscule failure rates of their hardware, or their top notch in house franchises. Nevermind the fact they get backward compatibility, or that I can play every game of every generation Nintendo console my Wii. Forget the fact they actually make money on their hardware, or the best in industry customer support. Maybe any multitude of arguments would be valid if they didn't positively own Sony and Microsoft. Fact is they will innovate (I see online media delivery as one of their next moves, and with all those Wii's out their they will kill the competition) they will make an affordable mainstream product with some new twist and have another smash hit on their hands. And they will actually put enough system's out to meet demand, and have a crap load of titles to go with it. Bash Nintendo all you want, but next gen it'll be everyone looking up again at the big "N" wondering what they have to do next. They have stumbled once (Gamcube) I don't see them making that mistake again.

They've essentially alienated gamers and casuals are as fickle as the weather. I wish them luck as they've got some hurdles to jump in the upcoming years.

Microsoft has alienated gamers with their horrible failure rates, the worst ever by far. They've also alienated PC gamers by giving them the shaft in favor of Xbox gamers.

Sony alienated gamers with the high initial cost of the PS3.

So for next generation, I think Nintendo is in the best position. Although it wouldn't surprise me too much if the PS4 outsold the Wii2. It's still too early to guess how the next generation is going to turn out.

Microsoft has alienated gamers with their horrible failure rates, the worst ever by far. They've also alienated PC gamers by giving them the shaft in favor of Xbox gamers.

Sony alienated gamers with the high initial cost of the PS3.

So for next generation, I think Nintendo is in the best position. Although it wouldn't surprise me too much if the PS4 outsold the Wii2. It's still too early to guess how the next generation is going to turn out.

Yeah I've got to agree with this. Price is the reason I haven't purchased a new ps3 and I just can't invest money in something with such a high failure rate like the xbox.

Rocking my old roommates wii though.

Back