Nioh On PS4 Lets You Decide Between 1080p30 Or 720p60

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
While neither is worth writing home about, it’s nice to see console peasants given more graphics options.

Team Ninja titles have always aimed to deliver smooth 60 frames per second experiences but Nioh throws a curveball in the mix with user-adjustable performance options. The options menu presents players with a choice between movie mode - which focuses GPU resources on image quality - or action mode, where frame-rate takes point. The choice is clear-cut: the former serves up a 1080p resolution, while the latter sees a drop to 720p, along with reduced texture filtering quality.

I like it. It'll give me the performance I want and it'll keep the still screenshot people happy, too.
I don't know if this will catch on (although maybe with the PS4.5?) but I like the option.

I've always thought that recent console games should have this option. Resolution tends to be the biggest hit to frame rate, and for me, responsiveness > resolution every time. It's rather easy for the devs, too, to simply juggle around some settings to get 60 FPS after developing the game for a 30 FPS target, or vice versa -- whichever would be easier.

This is pretty cool. Honestly, not sure why this wasn't always an option to begin with as the same choices need to be made on the PC side already.

that would be amazing if this caught on. Keep both sides distracted lol

In before PC master race is better because $4000 computer built for $50 game has no compromises.

I dunno, my concern with this method is that devs will get lazy. Instead of optimizing their games to achieve 1080p/60fps with a decent amount of eye candy, they'll just slap on 720p performance mode and call it a day.

It's good that console gamers will get the option to experience 60 fps but hilariously sad that they need to go down to 720P to do it.

$400 computer is better than a PS4

You are probably right.

This "$400" build came in slighly over budget and doesn't even include operating system costs or input devices.

I recant my "In before PC master race is better because $4000 computer built for $50 game has no compromises." statement and instead offer the following

In before cell phone master race is better because my free phone from AT&T can play $50 games with no compromises.

As the years go on, I'm starting to relent on my dislike for console gaming. Consoles are tailored to those who don't want to fiddle with a computer just to get the best experience, even if that means severely reduced graphical quality, they just want to pop a game in and go.

These days I'm finding myself less and less having time to fire up my PC and play anything, consoles are becoming more and more appealing to me, but I still won't replace my PC with a console, but it's become a thought to get myself one just for quick gaming sessions with the family. Although, to me a mouse and keyboard are the best way in my opinion to play, controllers just seem so clunky.

Gonna need a PS4 emulator for all these PS4 exclusives. The RPCS3 emulator for PS3 only uses Vulkan, DX12, and OpenGL. The cemu barely runs the Wii U games at full speed. Is it too much to ask for a solid 60 fps from a FX-8350? Emulators these days.

There are a small handful of games that do this actually.

Infamous Second Son and The Last of Us remastered both have the option to either lock the framerate at 30, or unlock it for upto 60fps. The resolution doesn't change afaik, but the framerate will take dips when unlocked.

Personally I'm quite alright with that method. I can deal with a sometimes unsteady framerate. I'm a little less okay with the Nioh method, but it works.

$400 computer is better than a PS4

Except it isn't and while it might be possible to build one today that can out perform a ps4 although unlikely. It was absolutely Not possible at the time the Ps4 came out. So do try to stop with the hyperbolic nonsense.

And before anyone tries to post a "build", just don't bother for two reasons. The first being that you must include the OS as it is out of box experience vs out of box experience and a PC without windows isn't gaming. The second being this little thing called exclusives that aren't available on PC. Also bear in mind this comes from someone who is primarily a PC gamer, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying my consoles.

In before PC master race is better because $4000 computer built for $50 game has no compromises.

Unless you're buying a Mac Pro, you're not paying $4000 for a computer...

*looks at sig*

Oh...

Unless you're buying a Mac Pro, you're not paying $4000 for a computer...

*looks at sig*

Oh...

Thank you! Most people on here never want to talk to me about it.

Paid $300 (on eBay) for it, and I bought it because I needed to run iTunes as a server, but needed a better way to manage multiple hard drives since hardware RAID can be catastrophic. Since Windows does not allow 3rd party filesystems, that left me with OSX and ZFS as the only logical conclusion. Can't say I have ever played a game on it though.

Except it isn't and while it might be possible to build one today that can out perform a ps4 although unlikely.
Is that an official challenge?
And before anyone tries to post a "build", just don't bother for two reasons. The first being that you must include the OS as it is out of box experience vs out of box experience and a PC without windows isn't gaming. The second being this little thing called exclusives that aren't available on PC. Also bear in mind this comes from someone who is primarily a PC gamer, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying my consoles.
Challenge accepted, console peasant. Isn't LoL, Dota2, and WoW PC exclusive?

Windows 10 for $30.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI A78M-E35 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($57.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Pareema 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.00 @ Mac Mall)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 370 2GB Video Card ($117.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Raidmax Cobra 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($11.88 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: Logitech B100 Wired Optical Mouse ($6.80 @ NCIX US)
Total: $383.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-01 18:33 EDT-0400

If by challenge you mean, can you fail reading comprehension? Apparently so. I already pointed out PC is my primary gaming platform and comparing hardware today to when the PS4 came out isn't an apples to apples comparison. You also continued, like everyone else who posts that useless pc master race drivel to ignore the fact that some gamers like to play games that aren't available on all platforms. Sorry but once again the whole hardware comparison garbage is useless and invalid.

Also that build is ugly and going to catch on fire with that horrible psu and case. :D

Windows 10 for $30.

Power Supply: Raidmax Cobra 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
I see your build, and raise you a better one.

PCPartPicker part list: Intel Pentium G3260, EVGA GeForce GTX 950, Rosewill FBM-02 - System Build - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: Intel Pentium G3260, EVGA GeForce GTX 950, Rosewill FBM-02 - System Build - Price Breakdown By Merchant - PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel Pentium G3260 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($34.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card ($143.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply ($16.98 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $366.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-01 19:02 EDT-0400

If by challenge you mean, can you fail reading comprehension? Apparently so. I already pointed out PC is my primary gaming platform and comparing hardware today to when the PS4 came out isn't an apples to apples comparison. You also continued, like everyone else who posts that useless pc master race drivel to ignore the fact that some gamers like to play games that aren't available on all platforms. Sorry but once again the whole hardware comparison garbage is useless and invalid.

Also that build is ugly and going to catch on fire with that horrible psu and case. :D

Plus the fact that it is $20 mail in rebate and not guaranteed. Yeah, that power supply ........ :D Yeah, also, that case is listed in his build as $19.99 but, that is with the $10 rebate already included, which, one again, does not count. Oh, and that crappy rear case fan....... :D

I see your build, and raise you a better one.

PCPartPicker part list: Intel Pentium G3260, EVGA GeForce GTX 950, Rosewill FBM-02 - System Build - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: Intel Pentium G3260, EVGA GeForce GTX 950, Rosewill FBM-02 - System Build - Price Breakdown By Merchant - PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel Pentium G3260 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($34.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card ($143.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply ($16.98 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $366.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-01 19:02 EDT-0400

Oh look, more prices listed without noting the mail in rebates. Oh, and that dual core processor will not support most if not all new games. Not really sure why folks try to make unsubstantiated and ridicules claims, it just makes PC gamers look bad. On the other hand, if you know what you are doing, you can build a PC with used parts but, that is not a guarantee either.

Plus the fact that it is $20 mail in rebate and not guaranteed. Yeah, that power supply ........ :D Yeah, also, that case is listed in his build as $19.99 but, that is with the $10 rebate already included, which, one again, does not count. Oh, and that crappy rear case fan....... :D
And despite all that, it's still arguably better than the current consoles. Except for exclusives, as pointed out before.

Oh look, more prices listed without noting the mail in rebates. Oh, and that dual core processor will not support most if not all new games. Not really sure why folks try to make unsubstantiated and ridicules claims, it just makes PC gamers look bad. On the other hand, if you know what you are doing, you can build a PC with used parts but, that is not a guarantee either.
Games are still heavily reliant on single core performance, and that Pentium would almost certainly be faster than the Athlon in gaming. There are only $30 in MIR on the whole build.

Games are still heavily reliant on single core performance, and that Pentium would almost certainly be faster than the Athlon in gaming. There are only $30 in MIR on the whole build.

Not anymore, at least with new games now requiring a quad core processor at minimum. However, you can build a machine with used parts if you know what you are doing and who you are buying it from.

Windows 10 for $30.

You forgot the monitor.

I like this idea SO much: Give Console players the choice, and with this choice, they will then think "Hey, wait a minute... being able to decide for myself is awesome! THIS is what all those greasy PC elitists were talking about..."

And slowly, Consoles become more and more like PCs... Evolution: The strongest traits eventually gain traction....

Not anymore, html
east with new games now requiring a quad core processor at minimum. However, you can build a machine with used parts if you know what you are doing and who you are buying it from.
Best $70 CPU for Gaming: Athlon X4 860K vs. Pentium G3258

They both suck, but the Pentium is on average, faster than the Athlon. In some benchmarks, the Pentium at stock beats the Athlon at 4.4GHz. Single core performance is still very relevant, even with modern games.

You forgot the monitor.

Nope. If you include the monitor, you must THEN factor in the cost of the TV in console purchases.

"But everyone has a TV!"

Yeah, and just about EVERYONE has a shitty desktop PC somewhere in their house with a monitor. Moot point.

You can also use a TV as a monitor. Moot point.

Well lets be fair here, neither PS4 or Xbone come with a display device.

Although the $30 OS seems awefuly shady.
I, and several other members here, I would bet, have used similar marketplaces for deep discounts on game keys before, and have had no problems. Just because it's outside of the regular retail channel doesn't mean it isn't legit.

Well, to be fair, most people would assume a yo-ho-ho method of OS procurement. $30 on software is $30 more than many would spend.

Chances are, you already have a TV. Less so with a monitor unless you're a PC enthusiast. Since the argument is that you can PC game for the same cost as a PS4, it stands to reason that the people the argument is targeted at are console gamers who are not likely to have a monitor.

Guys I understand the reality of purchases. But when you are comparing a legitimate product like a gaming console you can't include transactions outside of "regular retail channel" because they are not consistent from customer to customer nor are they sustainable.

Sony has to be able to sell millions of these things at this price and make a profit. Someone selling Technet accounts or accounts meant for other countries is not a fair comparison.

So you can't just make blanket statements like $400 computer beats $400 PS4 and use shady purchases in that comparison.

Chances are, you already have a TV. Less so with a monitor unless you're a PC enthusiast. Since the argument is that you can PC game for the same cost as a PS4, it stands to reason that the people the argument is targeted at are console gamers who are not likely to have a monitor.
You can use a TV as a monitor. Every modern PC has HDMI output.

To address some of the arguments coming up. I said apples to apples, so I was being fair and going with the PC could use the same display as the console so wasn't really relevant to the comparison. I also have used plenty of those software sites for deep discounts on the OEM which is why I didn't protest the $30 price. There were plenty of other flaws in his build anyhow, not the least of which is that it isn't what I was talking about in the first place. The real point in all of this is that a $400 gaming PC is every bit as shitty as a console and arguing otherwise is being disingenuous. So reality is at that price point if you have to choose, then you choose the platform that has the most games that YOU want to play. However I would dare say many of us don't have to choose, which is why we own an extremely expensive PC rig and still own 1 or more consoles. Not having to be forced to choose and thus not having to blindly defend our choice with ridiculous ill conceived arguments is rather nice.

You forgot the monitor.

Consoles come with a monitor?

Until it blows up, anyways. :D

You really think Consoles don't use the lowest cost sourced parts when possible? At least that $19.99 PSU is in a standard configuration that can be easily swapped out with another one when it fails... not a proprietary part that requires a voiding of warranty or sending the whole unit in to be fixed.

Man, for regulars to [H]ardForum, you all sure argue some [W]eak assed shit.

Back