No display when using hdmi to dvi cable

darkflames

Gawd
Well I originally was using a d sub vga cable plugged into my monitor, then connected one of those dsub to dvi things that come with a video card and plugged that into my video card. Well i eventually bought a hdmi cable to dvi cable. Sometimes it would get signal to the card, and sometimes if i restarted the computer it would loose signal and I would have to use my vga cable instead. Well eventually I had it running and I never had to change it. Well I recently swapped my video card for a 8800gtx and now When I plug the HDMI cable into my monitor and plug the dvi cable into the port on the videocard, My screen comes up and says HDMI 1 in the corner but then the screen just says its going to power off. When i use the remote to select what video input im using there is a check mark next to HDMI 1 and when i select it, it just starts counting down to turn off the display. But the dsub to dvi works.

Does anyone know why I cant seem to get the hdmi to dvi to work properly?

My tv is a Westinghouse 26" hdtv

You're not going to be able to run VGA->DVI->HDMI.

The VGA->DVI adapters that come with video cards convert analog VGA to analog DVI. Yes, there are analog DVI specs, called DVI-A (analog only) and DVI-I (analog+digital). The little adapter doesn't change the signal, it simply wires up the analog VGA signal pins to the analog DVI pins.

HDMI is a pure digital spec and does not support analog signals at all, therefore is incompatible with an analog DVI configuration. Your videocard needs a proper DVI port, or you need to buy a VGA to DVI/HDMI converter (typically more expensive than a video card).

No right now, my computer is using a vga cable and has the vga to dvi connector to use on my video card. I also have a seperate cable that is hdmi that plugs into my tv to dvi.

No right now, my computer is using a vga cable and has the vga to dvi connector to use on my video card. I also have a seperate cable that is hdmi that plugs into my tv to dvi.
Ah, my bad, I misread what you were doing.

Have you set your video card to output a basic 1280x720 or 1366x720 or similar signal at 60hz? It sounds like your video card isn't passing a proper modeline to the display.

Good luck, Westy's are known to be temperamental with PC hookups. Beyond that, I got nothin'

Yeah, resolution is set at the native 1366x768. I mean it did this on my old 8800gt but sometimes it would work, but it doesnt at all on the gtx.

Back