No ends at the end of the Cat5e cables?

So I just moved into my brand new house. It was wired by someone with Cat 5e cables. All of the cables are routed into the closet in the master bedroom. I was getting ready to attach the cables and then I notice that the cables doesn't have any ends at the end. I'm talking about the part that goes into the switch. What's going on here and what am I suppose to do?

You should also get a cable tester. Making up cables isn't rocket science but, it does take some care and practice.

amd hit it on the nail, Is there anyway you can take pictures and show us ?

Generally when are running cables for networking CAT5+ You will have RJ45 jack at wall socket end and terminate the other end in to a Closet MDF patch Penal which then has RJ45 jacks then you will add a switch in then use cat5 jumpers from patch panel to switch. Its a clean setup if done correctly.

Generally when are running cables for networking CAT5+ You will have RJ45 jack at wall socket end and terminate the other end in to a Closet MDF patch Penal which then has RJ45 jacks then you will add a switch in then use cat5 jumpers from patch panel to switch. Its a clean setup if done correctly.

MDF no, plywood yes.

yep agree with the first few, just need RJ-45 connectors and a crimping tool. This should be fairly simple to solve
MDF no, plywood yes.
too funny! (redneck networking)

Back on topic, I would always install a patch panel over just crimping plugs on the ends of solid wire.

Tasty!
fiberonegranolabars.jpg

Same thing at my new place. I just punched em down to a double gang keystone plate and used short patch cables to the switch. Oddly enough, in my 10 years as a sysadmin, I've never had to punch down cable. It's dead simple with solid core wiring (which your builder should have used).

It is typical for new or even older houses to have un-terminated CAT5 runs. Just look up how to tie the runs into a patch panel and wall jacks.

Have fun!

Back