No go on X800 Pro->XT Platinum conversion

planetary

[H]ard|Gawd
I have tried it twice now, and I'm a failure :(

I have come to really want the extra 4 pipelines now, with Doom 3's impending release. So my issue now is see how much I could get for my X800 Pro on eBay, then decide on either a 6800 GT or go ahead and get the X800 XT Platinum, or maybe a 6800 Ultra, since nVidia performs better in openGL. I'm sure this question has never been addressed here.... :p

Here are my other main system specs:

abit IC7
[email protected]
1gb Corsair llc pc3200

Thanks

I would sell the x800 pro and get a 6800 GT considering they can be overclocked to Ultra speeds.

Get a 6800gt and oc to ultra.

not only do you get better opengl speed, but also ultrashadow2 which doom uses too for more efficient shadows

But isn't ATI the way to go for Half-Life 2? Hopefully it isn't too far away... :rolleyes:

Man. It is confusing choosing a video card these days. Another thing going for nVidia, they have pixel shader 3. I really enjoy Far Cry. For the life of me, I can't understand why ATI didn't implement ps3 in the X800 series.

by the time HL2 comes out. nVidia will have all there tweaks fixed for there 6800 series and hl2 will run just as fast on a nvidia card as it will on a ati. but IMO i would get a BFG6800GTOC IMO no other card can beat that bang for the buck

That review is confusing...at least the graphs are hard on the eyes. You should be fine with what you have. It will run D3 nicely and i doubt you will have many/any complaints about it.

Is your X800 the VIVO model with 1.6ns ram?Beacuse if it isnt then from what i have read you aint gonna be able to mod that pro no matter how hard you try?

Mine doesn't have the 1.6 memory. I'm concerned about whether the X800 pro or 6800 is faster while using AA & AF. Every review I've read says different things. What are you guys thinking when talking AA & AF performance between the two cards?

planetary said:
Mine doesn't have the 1.6 memory. I'm concerned about whether the X800 pro or 6800 is faster while using AA & AF. Every review I've read says different things. What are you guys thinking when talking AA & AF performance between the two cards?

If you mean x800pro versus 6800gt, the 6800gt is faster both with and without aa/af.

I guess you are right. All signs are pointing towards nVidia. What about image quality, though? I've heard for so long that ATI's is better than nVidia's. But I have no experience with nVidia's latest products.

Back