Video card - you pick

• EVGA GeForce GTS 250 Superclocked Edition 512MB

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • ASUS EAH4870 DK Radeon HD 4870 512MB

Votes: 73 94.8%

• Total voters
the 4870 is better.

no doubt about it.

also i have that exact 4870. its a great card. runs pretty cool and is factory overclocked pretty significantly. also has a 3 year warranty from asus and you dont need to register it to get that full three years bs. afaik you dont even need a receipt if you need to rma it... they just go by the serial number on it so that makes selling it easier.

A stock GTS 250 512MB is a revamped 9800GTX+ and competes directly with the 4850 512MB. Even with the overclock on the GTS 250 you linked, the 4870, which competes with the GTX 260, will still be the faster card.

If you had linked an HD 4850 the poll would be more interesting. As it is, the HD 4870 is the better card.

HD 4870 hands down. Get the 1GB version if you can afford it, if not, 512MB would do.

Another vote for the 4870 - not only is it better, it's $5 cheaper. But I'm with the others who recommend the 1gb variant, if your budget allows.

Unless you want CoD:WaW, the HD 4870 is a better deal and it will be faster in several games.

Would I seriously notice a difference between 512MB and 1GB? All the reviews I read had a very small difference of 5-10 percent for my resolution (1680x1050). Which isn't much considering it was pulling about 70+fps on some games.

Would I seriously notice a difference between 512MB and 1GB? All the reviews I read had a very small difference of 5-10 percent for my resolution (1680x1050). Which isn't much considering it was pulling about 70+fps on some games.

That's your call at that much of a difference, I think the 1 gb is worth the extra bucks, but I may be crazy.

For the cards that have HDMI out (like this one), what component does the sound processing? Is it the video card itself with some half-assed chip, integrated sound, or the sound card that goes through the PCI-e bus and to the graphics card?

For the cards that have HDMI out (like this one), what component does the sound processing? Is it the video card itself with some half-assed chip, integrated sound, or the sound card that goes through the PCI-e bus and to the graphics card?

iirc, it's just a passthrough.

Why is everyone claiming that the 4870 1GB is better than the 260-216? Aren't the two cards - for all intents and purposes - more or less neck and neck? Even [H] seems to think so. Sure, the ATI has 1GB, but that produces more frames only in rare situations (GRID). The 260 runs quieter and cooler, less power draw. There's positives and negatives to both options.

Future proof wise, because of the additional video ram, I suppose the Red offering is the better choice. But beyond that, aren't they pretty much the same?

Not trying to start a fight, I'm simply ignorant. :D

EDIT: Oooooooh. Wait. He's asking about the GTX 250. MY BAD. NEVERMIND. :p

EDIT: Oooooooh. Wait. He's asking about the GTX 250. MY BAD. NEVERMIND.

Yeah, beacuse the 4870 512MB is cheaper than dirt right now, the first sale is making them a real bargin. After the fire sale is over, we'll probably see the 260 being compared to the 4870 again. We're still seeing the 4870x2 compared to the 285 (I have no idea why, one is 100$ more than the other).

Do we really need a poll for this question? "We find these truths to be self evident........"

:D:D

Prices at newegg as I type this are:
GTX 260 216: $170
4870 1GB: $170
GTX 260 192: $165
4870 512MB: $135
4850 1GB: $150
GTS 250 1GB: $145
4850 512MB: $110
GTS 250 512MB: $125
(Prices will vary on a daily basis!)

This is list is, as best as I can, in order of performance, but we are talking about a pretty thin slice of performance here and a lot of these cards just trade blows depending on the game. The 4870 512MB is the standout deal right now, knocking the 4850 1GB and both GTS 250s out of consideration entirely and making even the 4850 512MB questionable. But the GTX 260 216 remains a great card for $170 with a significant performance advantage over the 4870 512MB. So in the $100 to $200 range, you're really looking at only two cards: the 4870 512MB for $135 versus the GTX 260 216 for $170. Anything else doesn't make much sense.

Ended up getting the 4870 512MB this morning. The 1GB version is tempting but I don't play that many games to warrant the difference and I have other bills to pay along with tests to study. This is nice thing to do in my free time but I don't really play for more than a small number of hours in the weekends.

Also had problems with Nvidia crap drivers with my Vista machine when I had a 7900gt. Traded with my brother for his X1950pro and all has been well ever since. Aside from the fact that I own AMD stock, Nvidia's poopy drivers for Vista left a rather bitter taste in my mouth.

Why is everyone claiming that the 4870 1GB is better than the 260-216? Aren't the two cards - for all intents and purposes - more or less neck and neck? Even [H] seems to think so. Sure, the ATI has 1GB, but that produces more frames only in rare situations (GRID). The 260 runs quieter and cooler, less power draw. There's positives and negatives to both options.

Future proof wise, because of the additional video ram, I suppose the Red offering is the better choice. But beyond that, aren't they pretty much the same?

Not trying to start a fight, I'm simply ignorant. :D

EDIT: Oooooooh. Wait. He's asking about the GTX 250. MY BAD. NEVERMIND. :p

its arguable anyways feature wise. the 4800 series has some really nice features that nvidia doesn't match, what these are worth is matter of what your using it for but most any media buff would do better to pick a 4870 with all else equal. outside of that it is a tossup. My personal preference would be the 4800 for the CFAA but Nvidia really isn't far behind here either, mostly depends on the game.

Ended up getting the 4870 512MB this morning. The 1GB version is tempting but I don't play that many games to warrant the difference and I have other bills to pay along with tests to study. This is nice thing to do in my free time but I don't really play for more than a small number of hours in the weekends.

Also had problems with Nvidia crap drivers with my Vista machine when I had a 7900gt. Traded with my brother for his X1950pro and all has been well ever since. Aside from the fact that I own AMD stock, Nvidia's poopy drivers for Vista left a rather bitter taste in my mouth.

at your resolution your not going to see much of a difference anyways. enjoy your new card

Back