No Item, No Money, No Response

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATF678

Limp Gawd
Well, my first post in this part of the forum.

A member here was selling a keyboard. Seller has no heat, but didn't sound like he would stiff people since he already had some other items sold in his for sale thread.

Paid on 10/27 with paypal gift. Seller kept saying he was too busy with work and can't ship until the next day. He kept saying this everyday until 11/5 when I asked for a refund. Now no response for 2 days. I sent another PM today asking for a refund and still no response.

Unfortunately I can't file a dispute with paypal because I said it was a gift.

Anything else I can do to try and get my money back?

I'm thinking of filing a police report.

Thanks.

Do you have any contact info?
name, address phone #?

You could certainly call his local police if you do.

I only have his email address and the name listed in their paypal account. No phone or address.

What is the link to the thread you bought it from and his name? This would be some good information on what the next step would be.

But sending money as a gift is a big no-no as that leaves the seller to do what he wants with no remorse then. Good luck with getting the keyboard though.

This isn't the first post where I've seen someone feeling SOL because they sent the money as a gift.

Maybe everyone should stop sending money as a gift, unless you have dealt with the person before or can be absolutely sure they wont get stiffed.

Sorry this is happening but a good learning lesson for everyone.

Next time, stay away from people who are brave enough to want a gift payment in their thread or PM. I only used that option with one person, and his Heat was over 130. Very risky, so I asked for name, address and phone number, then matched it to his Paypal account.

I turned down some awesome parts from people on these forums because they wanted a gift payment.

I always believed that the seller is responsible for the fees. It's the cost of doing business and making the process painless for the buyer.

Oh, please. :rolleyes:

The police have better things to do than investigate trades on internet forums.

If he ripped him off it was a crime and should be investigated. The police investigate crime and is what they are paid to do.

By the way op, I would not do business with someone as new as he was to the forums. It just seems shady to me that someone has been here for a few days and is already selling stuff.

Next time, stay away from people who are brave enough to want a gift payment in their thread or PM. I only used that option with one person, and his Heat was over 130. Very risky, so I asked for name, address and phone number, then matched it to his Paypal account.

I turned down some awesome parts from people on these forums because they wanted a gift payment.

I always believed that the seller is responsible for the fees. It's the cost of doing business and making the process painless for the buyer.

This has more to do with the seller having no heatware than being an issue with the "gift" payment method. Fees have nothing to do with "the cost of business". Fees are a choice like anything else. Two willing parties, with good heatware, I see no reason either party should be forced to give Paypal free money.

This isn't the first post where I've seen someone feeling SOL because they sent the money as a gift.

Maybe everyone should stop sending money as a gift, unless you have dealt with the person before or can be absolutely sure they wont get stiffed.

Sorry this is happening but a good learning lesson for everyone.

+1, my thoughts exactly.

The issue here is with a new user with no heatware, not the gift option. Not everyone asking a gift option is out there to scam for money geez you act like everyone is desperate to rob you $100 or so. Remember some day you will sell your stuff and you will appreciate other people trusting you and not treating everyone like a scum bag like you do. I would never deal with people like you.

Well that member was new to the forums (30 days).. gifting paypal to Him.. probably not the best idea, but i see no problem gifting to reputable sellers. As a seller myself and having had a buyer somehow reverse the payment after I sent an item, and dealing with all that BS, I am grateful that gifting is an option and prefer it, knowing otherwise I can get fuc*d by an asshole on the other end.

Visa versa.. you did the right thing talking about it here, hopefully this will get resolved. If you google long enough, you might find something useful.. You can also file a complaint with the FBI here http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

How much $ did you send him? Maybe we can all pitch in.. if 50 of us send a buck.. ;)

Last edited:
I've had a few gift payments for $150 and more in a single transaction and I have not ripped someone off, you really have to be careful when using the gift option.

Here's where you went wrong, 0 heat, new to forums, gift payment. No credibility.

yeah man.. sorry to hear about your troubles.. but i would never send a gift to a member who is so new with no heat... gl getting it back man

So let me get this straight

The seller listed their e-bay feedback. The only feedback they have as a seller on e-bay... is 1 negative (and admittedly quite old)
They have no heatware
They're a new member on the site
You didn't get any additional contact information as suggested in the FS/T rules
They wanted gift payment only
and you saw an item that he said was sold locally as proof that he was a trustworthy seller?

None of those things except the e-bay feedback alone is evidence that he's a bad seller, but taken together? Jesus. He might as well have posted at the top of the thread "I plan on ripping people off"

I find it really hard to have any sympathy for your situation, OP.

You're unlikely going to be able to file a police report because you don't have enough information. There is a reason we suggest getting contact info from people.
http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx but I wouldn't hold my breath.

In any case, I've sent the seller a PM asking him to get in contact with you

The issue here is with a new user with no heatware, not the gift option. Not everyone asking a gift option is out there to scam for money geez you act like everyone is desperate to rob you $100 or so. Remember some day you will sell your stuff and you will appreciate other people trusting you and not treating everyone like a scum bag like you do. I would never deal with people like you.

I didn't call or gave the impression that certain sellers are scum bags. Not taking a deal doesn't mean the person is a scum bag for asking me to pay as a gift. Also, it's not recommended to pay as a gift, it says it right in the sticky thread. If you wanted a gift payment, I wouldn't do business with you anyway. I've sent payments over $400. I have never had an issue with a seller or buyer on these forums, so don't try to ruin my reputation because I do what is recommended.

Last edited:
I didn't call anyone a scum bag. Also, it's not recommended to pay as a gift, it says it right in the sticky thread. If you wanted a gift payment, I wouldn't do business with you anyway. I have never had an issue with a seller or buyer on these forums, so don't try to ruin my reputation because I do what is recommended.

Well what about the MAJORITY of sellers don't have a premier account and only requesting CASH funded paypal. You are in the same boat as gift option my friend. :rolleyes: Only credit card funded purchases are really entittled to some kind of protection from your own credit card company and not paypal. I don't see you complaining about CASH funded payments.At the end of the day if someone is up to scam you doesn't matter whether is gift or not gift as long as is CASH funded you are FUCKED.

Last edited:
well Im not trying to scam the guy

Life gets in the way sometimes

been at the hospital with my wife

already pmed him this

already pmed him this

When its resolved he will respond in this thread and clear your name. Thank you for your response. I hope everything gets worked out.

Well what about the MAJORITY of sellers don't have a premier account and only requesting CASH funded paypal. You are in the same boat as gift option my friend. :rolleyes: Only credit card funded purchases are really entittled to some kind of protection from your own credit card company and not paypal. I don't see you complaining about CASH funded payments.At the end of the day if someone is up to scam you doesn't matter whether is gift or not gift as long as is CASH funded you are FUCKED.

OK, I agree with that.

But when reporting to the authorities, it's harder to justify a payment that was sent as a gift, which means giving something for nothing in return.

Thanks for the help everyone. I will update when I get my money back or an acceptable resolution.

Sounds like you are a nice guy with a good and trusting heart. Thus a victom looking for a crime. I really do feel for you my friend. As I usually never feel anything for anybody that is saying something. just kidding. Hope you learned something and this maybe saves your life or keeps you out of trouble in the future. This is really a wakeup call on your awareness alarm.

already pmed him this

OP, let us know how this turns out....

Also, since the parties involved are in contact now, please don't post if your not one of them....

I'm interested in knowing the result of this as he was trying to buy some video cards off me.

Refund sent

btw

its only been 10 days since the original transaction

and I have had family issues to deal with

Glad there seems to be a resolution.

It might have only been 10 days since the original transaction, but it only takes a minute to hop on the fourms and send someone a courteous message.

One thing I've learned while trading here is that a little communication goes a long way, most people will put up with some tardiness, you just need to take a minute to inform them of the situation.

It might not seem like a big deal, but it'll help you avoid little mishaps like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back