no lower temps with Zalman 7700cu

bazylik

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guy, i just installed Zalman 7700cu, jest another one about Zalman...my system's spec are in my sig...anyway on stock fan i had CPU temps at 50-52 no load....after installing Zalman they are the same 50-52 i thought it would drop about 10 degrees...i used AS5 at first than i tried the paste that came with Zalman with no results....i also try overclocking a little bit , to 2.4 but windows wouldn't even start...i think i installed it properly, although after mounting everything and screwing everything together the HS has a slight movement left and right is that normal? i can't screw it any tighter because there is no space really also i don't wanna break the CPU
any word of advise guys?

get an air conditioner or move to a;aska and you will see a difference..

point is... cpu in the 50's at idle means you got a very hot room and you can get the best of the best HS and Delta's 220cfm fans or w/e and your temps won't change much.
It's because even though you got a better heatsink.. it is still blowing in the same very hot air.. .

hm....ok than moving to alaska is out of the question....but i will turn on the ac and see what happens

ok so i did chilled my room and temp only dropped about 1 degree, so i doubt it is my "hot" rooms fault...i think i'm just doing something wrong i mean i could OC my proc on stock HS to 2.4Ghz but it locks up when i OC it with Zalman...
if anyone could give me an advise i would apprieciate it, moving to alaska advise won't do
thanks

My cpu (sig below) idles at 32c to 34c depending on room temps and loads up to 52c to 54c on hot days. The Zalman 7700Cu should have a delta of 19c to 21c with the fan at full speed. That would mean you are seeing load temps of around 70c and more considering you are idling at 55c. That's way too hot and no wonder your system crashes. It seems you have low case cooling/ventilation....have you ran it with the case cover off and a fan blowing at it like the above guy suggested?

Take some pics of the inside of your case, I have a feeling maybe your wires are all over the place...But post some pics up so we can see whether the cabling is part of the ventilation problems or not....

thanks guys for your input.
yeah i have the case open all the time basically and i don't think it's the wireing problem either everything is moved to empy spaces, but when i get home i will take some pics and will post'em... i didn't try blowing a fan or something at it to get that hot air from the HS... nothing else i can think of...

i have a question to you guys, since both of you have zalman 7700cu's. does your HS has a slight movement? you know it is screwed tightly to the mobo but u still have movement, like it's sliding on the paste and u can move the HS slightly right and left.

While I dont have that HS, I do know from other experiences with HS's that you do have a little "play" when you first install the HS and grease. I have also noticed after it sets in it does not move around very easily if at all. As far as your temps, yeah post pictures but I was also curious what kind of fans do you have right now? and you didn't goop it on too much did you? did you smooth that sucker out with a business card or the like? Not sure if it makes a difference to do this, I have never compared just always did it. After I apply the grease and HS, before I strap her down, I always give it a lil turn back and fourth just once (with pressure) makes me fell better and maybe the cpu too :confused: I hope you get it worked out soon, I know it's frusterating to get something new and have problem right away! Good Luck

bazylik said:
i have a question to you guys, since both of you have zalman 7700cu's. does your HS has a slight movement? you know it is screwed tightly to the mobo but u still have movement, like it's sliding on the paste and u can move the HS slightly right and left.

Yes, after install mine can slightly "wiggle"....

Not mine...I have the 7000 copper....Then again I tightend mine down as tight as tit would go....

Rtstrider said:
Not mine...I have the 7000 copper....Then again I tightend mine down as tight as tit would go....

The Cu vs. the AlCu won't matter. Mine is as tight as it can go (seated to the stops) and will ever so slightly wiggle left and right if you try to. Normal....

wow finally could find some time to do this....
so here are the pictures of mounted HS
P5290408.jpg

P5290398.jpg

P5290399.jpg

P5290404.jpg

P5290406.jpg

ouch. sorry to burst ur bubble even further :S lol, but the Zalman isnt dropping ur heat because, look at the rest of ur case. sorry no offense, but having 1 80mm as an exhuast, with very little room for the air to escape anyways, looking at the back grills and the cables at the front blocking a lot of the intake, well im not suprised its not dropping degrees. if u sort out the airflow of the case, the Zalman will push more cold air into ur CPU than ur old HSF, and temp will drop dramatically i think. well it seems to me thats where the problem lies :)

Do you have any intake fans?

You need to:
1) make sure that fan in the pic is set to EXHAUST
2) tidy up the wires.
3) Add some sort of intake fan near the bottom front of the case.
4) Buy a PSU that has a fan on the bottom. Heat rises. Heat is rising from your heatsink and sitting in a pocket right below your PSU.

Having a good room temperature is only good if that air is going into your case. Good airflow is not just having air pushed around in your case, it's having fresh air coming in near the bottom at a steady rate with no wires obstructing it, and having the hot air being exhausted steadily out of the top of the case.

mdameron said:
Do you have any intake fans?

You need to:
1) make sure that fan in the pic is set to EXHAUST
2) tidy up the wires.
3) Add some sort of intake fan near the bottom front of the case.
4) Buy a PSU that has a fan on the bottom. Heat rises. Heat is rising from your heatsink and sitting in a pocket right below your PSU.

Having a good room temperature is only good if that air is going into your case. Good airflow is not just having air pushed around in your case, it's having fresh air coming in near the bottom at a steady rate with no wires obstructing it, and having the hot air being exhausted steadily out of the top of the case.

Do what he said. Temp problems solved.

Du you have the Zalman connected directly to your motherboard or are you using the fanmate?

Thanks for the pm, and I agree with the idea of having the fan on the bottom of the Power Supply...Also fix the cabling in your case....It's not easy but get the cables out of the way....

great, thanks again for your feedback guys...i know i have a mess in my case right now, i will get that fixed... my case basically is open all the time so i don't have air circulating in it..
lol i must've screwed that sucker (fan) backwards when i was installing new parts....i will adjust to everything you guys mentioned, only problem might be the PSU....oh well i'll try to send it back and replace with something different maybe even better and with buttom fan this time...

Threeclaws to answer your question...i have Zalman connected through fanmate...is that bad?

ok here i go to make some changes
thanks again

edit: since i am "forced" to send back my PSU and replace with a different one...could you guys recommend something? 500-550W, money may be an issue but not necesserly so u can go crazy

Forton blue storm 500 watt is an excellent psu... google and froogle that beast. should be about $100 shipped

I wouldn't say it is bad it is just that I know with my 7000AlCu (less sophisticated fanmate) that with the fanmate connected the fan spun at a much lower speed so of course temperatures were higher.

I believe the fanmate is heat activated so if your case temps aren't high then the fan would spin at its lower settings, maybe try disconnecting it and plugging the cooler directly to your mobo to see if the temps drop lower :)

mine came with the controller..so i can make it go max or lower rpms... but yeah i tried what u suggested..i dont know why i didn't think of that before hehe :)
also have to try this trick with hairblower

bazylik said:
mine came with the controller..so i can make it go max or lower rpms... but yeah i tried what u suggested..i dont know why i didn't think of that before hehe :)
also have to try this trick with hairblower

Yep mine had the little knob to turn it up or down but, it "seemed" to go faster when plugged directly in, good luck though I love my Zalman my next step is that bigger mother 9500 :cool:

Any chance you are applying the thermal paste too thick? Too much will act as an insulator.

Any chance you are applying the thermal paste too thick?

Great question, I didn't even think of asking about that.....Take off your heatsink and take a pic of the thermal grease, don't clean it or anything....Just take the sink off of there and post a pic of the thermal grease....I'm eager to see that too...And did I forget to mention....Great question!!!

Back