No More Bill & Jerry Microsoft Commercials

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the New York Times, there won’t be anymore Microsoft commercials featuring Bill Gates and Jerry Seinfeld together. The latest commercial will feature an "I’m a PC" look-a-like guy with Bill Gates doing a cameo.

One new Microsoft commercial even begins with a company engineer who resembles John Hodgman, the comedian portraying the loser PC character in the Apple campaign. “Hello, I’m a PC,” the engineer says, echoing Mr. Hodgman’s recurring line, “and I’ve been made into a stereotype.”

i saw part 1 and part 2.. did they have a part 3 or did i miss that one??

:(

Awwww... I thought they were funny. :(

I guess a lot of people thought they were lame. Why did Microsoft have to start listening to consumers now? :p

but i bet microsoft employees are like.. nah.. that can't be bill.. that dude is smiling... that is not bill... :D

i was waiting for bill to say to jerry "that is the most idiotic thing ive ever heard!"... and being jerry it probably would've been!! :D jerry says some solid heartfelt stuff hey!

every time they come on and i watch them im just confused

They give me a strange urge to go and buy Vista.... not. I don't find them funny, and they tell me nothing about the product. Fail.

Full disclosure, I use Vista, and I like it.

Instead of wasting more money on commercials, try supporting your products...

LIKE WINDOWS XP 64-BIT :rolleyes:

Instead of wasting more money on commercials, try supporting your products...

LIKE WINDOWS XP 64-BIT :rolleyes:

Wait wait wait.. you mean Microsoft should pay hardware developers $10 million to produce drivers for Windows? :rolleyes:

How about putting blame where it belongs.

they should use that money to develop Freelancer 2 !!!

Someone above answered my prayers for the end of the Jerry + Bill commercials (even if just temporarily). They stunk hard, were very confusing as to what message (if any) they were getting at and have proven to overall confuse most sectors, from IT vets to Joe Schmoe the computer n00b. Hopefully they start to get to the meat of this damn campaign and hopefully justify the ludicrous $$$ expenditure.

They totally missed the mark, and proved the opposite point.

Microsoft Commercials = Confusing, not fun, tedious.

Apple Commercials = Basic, to the point, and funny

Jerry Seinfeld is a over-rated 90's comedian...he is a one-hit wonder, his "bee movie" got raped by the critics...and Bill Gates is an old man.

How does that convince ANYONE to try Vista? Especially those who might be converted by bright lights, happy music and lots of colors? These commercials belong in the nursing home. are they trying to convert senior citizens?

Yep.

-Totally agree.

-Basic, to the point, sometimes funny, but tell half truths or outright lies.

Jerry Seinfeld is a over-rated 90's comedian...he is a one-hit wonder, his "bee movie" got raped by the critics...and Bill Gates is an old man.

I agree with this too.

How does that convince ANYONE to try Vista? Especially those who might be converted by bright lights, happy music and lots of colors? These commercials belong in the nursing home. are they trying to convert senior citizens?

I think they were selling the Microsoft brand, not Vista specifically. Other than that I agree.

Sad to see something funny go the way of Arrested Development. And only because the majority of people, in general, aren't too bright...

Bing!

That Penny Arcade cartoon was way funnier and more informative about Vista then those retarded commercials.

What were they trying to sell? It's hard to tell, really. Until the very last 2 second splash of Microsoft Windows...

Apple ads aren't funny. They make Justin Long look like a douche. And it makes Apple look like a bully... I'd like to try OSX, but I don't want to buy an Apple branded computer. Hmmm... Oh well. I can run Linux, BSD, Windows, etc. on my PC. Where's the freedom with Apple? (Legally!)

Yep.
I think they were selling the Microsoft brand, not Vista specifically. Other than that I agree.

The thing is that Bill Gates was a funny, nerdy hero of the 90's...he was the richest man in the world, and his name was almost cliche...

It's not like that anymore...he isn't the CEO of Microsoft, and his face isn't as unique anymore...it's already been plastered all over everything for the last 15 years.

I'm not even sure most college freshmen (who they REALLY ought to be targeting) know what his role is/was at Microsoft...

I thought they were funny, and they weren't really trying to sell anything they don't have to...but they kinda did if you consider they talked about connecting a billion people with windows. Seems they are just setting up later commercials and 10 mil is nothing to spend for them to just get your name on tv.

What were they trying to sell? It's hard to tell, really. Until the very last 2 second splash of Microsoft Windows...

Apple ads aren't funny. They make Justin Long look like a douche. And it makes Apple look like a bully... I'd like to try OSX, but I don't want to buy an Apple branded computer. Hmmm... Oh well. I can run Linux, BSD, Windows, etc. on my PC. Where's the freedom with Apple? (Legally!)

Last time I checked, you don't need an Apple branded computer to run OS X, Stevie just wants you to believe that... ;)

I truely hope it's not the last of the series of commercials, I enjoyed them very much and I thought they did an excellent job of combining humor mixed with the hit that windows connects billions of people everyday.

It's sad that a lot who've posted here don't get or appreciate the humor in them and the meaning behind them just like the majority of the general public probably doesn't. I guess I'm just to much of a geek in that way and I don't have to be spoon fed humor.

The general audience laughs at movies that are just plain horrible (see most current comedy films mtv has anything to do with) and partake in use of explicitives every 15 words. :rolleyes:

I use my share of crude humor from time to time, but I guess I'm one of few that enjoys all types of comedy and those commercials had my roflmfao.

Sad to see something funny go the way of Arrested Development. And only because the majority of people, in general, aren't too bright...

It was never planned to last more than 2-3 weeks. It was always MS's plan to use these commericals to create a buzz and sensation to warm up the market for their real tv marketing campaign against Apple, which starts tonight. This marketing strategy was planned months ago and quite frankly they've succeeded so far with phase one imo.

Now off to phase two.

The "mojave" commercials never showed what systems they were running, if they had used what was "average" on release you would not had had all these WOW! responses (it was probably running with 16g)
That plus not really selling what would be used but going with to many sku's

Bill-Jerry..ehh, if Jerry had control of thes cript then I could have seen it working, but they were so BORING..
For 10m you would want him in as much as possible, of course if he IS helping the scripts then he seems to have really lost it (even though I never found the show THAT funny-never a MUST SEE for me

I loved the first Seinfeld spot, was blah on the second one even though I laughed hard at two specific jokes in it. Either way, I liked them because they didn't stoop down to the level of the ridiculous "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads. Engaging them head on and going down to their level is IMO not a good idea. I prefer that MS was "above" doing that with the Seinfeld spots. A direct reaction is pretty weak, and they should try to make an ad that is great on its own terms.

BRAVO, MICROSOFT!!!!
Way to show some class and not stoop to the level of Apple. Market your product highly, and don't mention competition. Excellent.

Just opening the spot with a John Hodgeman lookalike was mentioning competition.

They did exactly what I was hoping they wouldn't do, which is directly address those ridiculous "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads. You argue with an asshole, you become an asshole, one of the unofficial laws of physics. Maybe the Seinfeld ads weren't the solution (I think the first one was awesome and I wish they'd pushed on with it), but IMO this isn't the solution either. It is a direct reaction when they would have done better to create a unique piece of advertising that stands strong on its own.

Almost everything Microsoft has ever done is a reaction, but I was really hoping for something new and forward thinking with their rebranding. The Seinfeld spots, while weird, were at least a step in the right direction.

Back