No More Cheap Q9550s

shaggy77

Gawd
Hi,

While I was at Micro Center last Friday I was debating about buying a Q9550. I said nah my wife would kill me for spending more money already. The salesman was surprised they had more in stock. Today I got home early and was thinking about going to MC to pick one up. I went on to MC's Website to check to see if they had one available and do the buy on line and go there to pick one up. Well surprise surprise no more Q9550s. SO I checked other stores. $229.00 now if you have one local MC. Newegg 259.00 $30 price increase from the last time I checked there as well. I know you can always google shop or whatever your fav search engine for pricing to find a slightly better price.

So is the Q9550 at an end of production?

Looks like Microcenter's awesome cpu prices are over. I was contemplating picking up a Q9550 also, but after I received their new catalog in the mail, looks like Q9550 is $230, same as Core i7 920. i5 750 is at $190 now. Shame.

the thread title makes my head hurt. The 9550 and the 9550s are separate processors. One 95 watt one 65 watt.

Then again intels new arrandale processors has 3 new proccessors with the 620 name with different speeds and tdps.

the thread title makes my head hurt. The 9550 and the 9550s are separate processors. One 95 watt one 65 watt.

Actually I think the S is uppercase on the Q9550S, to make it less easy to confuse the two.

But yeah, looks like the high-demand processors for the EOL socket will slowly start climbing up. I don't expect them to fall again for a BNIB retail..

gah horrible news. they've had the best pricing for core i7 processors forever now, damn it i was going to go grab on in the next month. oh well their loss.

Yeah ditto on the i5 750's. Oddly enough the 860's are still $229. I'm a bit surprised that MC didn't just return to the price of $179 - which is how it launched. At $189, taxes kill the deal.

I guess I should have picked another one of those up when I had the chance.... Oh well.

horrid news, was gonna pick one up in a couple weeks. out of luck now!

Good news for me....Ill be selling my Q9650 when I finish my i7 build.:)

I had the same debate a few weeks ago, and decided to pick one up. I'm glad i didn't wait, because I would have been pissed.

I'm no expert on pricing for these processors, but what are the chances the prices go any higher?
If they do, I'd pick one up now as I don't plan on upgrading from Socket 775 anytime soon.

I'm no expert on pricing for these processors, but what are the chances the prices go any higher?
If they do, I'd pick one up now as I don't plan on upgrading from Socket 775 anytime soon.

Probably will.. usually happens with popular EOL sockets. I remember prices going up for 939 processors less than a year after EOL. Once e-tailers like Newegg run low on stock prices are gonna increase quite a bit despite the availability of much newer technology.

Hi,

Q9550s or Q9550S hehe yeah bit of difference. However it is understandable. Still I was stating Q9550s as in plural. However, the MC deal of $230 for the CPU is still good if you near a microcenter vs the $260 that Newegg or Tigerdirect would want. It just sucks to see something jump as high as it did. Still might jump at a Q9550 @ $230.

Later

Actually TigerDirect has the bing cash for 8%, so it's cheaper after you factor in taxes from MC.

In my case I think I'm not gonna pull the trigger, I still need to upgrade my RAM and HDD, so if I were to unload that amount of cash I might step up to newer tech.

Or just go with a cheaper quad.

Hi,

Don't have the dough right now. My wife makes me sell something first then buy later. Maybe if they still have them around tax refund time, I might be about to finesse my wife to let me buy first and sell later.

Later,

Back