No more Windows Updates for pirated XP.

The bottom line is it took effort and resources to create it and should be treated as real work no matter the medium

The fact that you can re-produce it infinite does not negate the work poured in

j0k3r said:
Everyone is going to point the finger at Microsoft for doing this, but it's not their fault. It's the fault of the user. It's like stealing a Mercedes and taking it to the dealer for warranty work. I don't know about you, but I don't think they would honor the warranty on a stolen vehicle.

My biggest problem is Activation, I don't feel I should have to authenticate my car @ the mercedes dealer everytime I drive it :rolleyes:

I am going to be spending $1500+ for a new fujitsu N6010 notebook computer for graduation which I will be promptly formatting and installing my idle copy of win98 due to the activation crap in xp. XP would be a great os without activation :mad:
Until activation is gone I will never buy a MS product or any other company that uses activation
I would rather use Windows Millenium than use windows xp with activation

/rant

Now I feel better :)

PadanFain said:
The bottom line is it took effort and resources to create it and should be treated as real work no matter the medium

The fact that you can re-produce it infinite does not negate the work poured in

Agreed. It does, however, remove the actual loss inherent in stealing from the equation, leaving us with only the much vaguer "possible lost sale". The problem that the seller-side has to address is no matter how "unethical" is seems, a copy made does not neccesarily equate to any reduction in income. Indeed, it might have an opposite effect, given a longer time scale.

qb4ever said:
My biggest problem is Activation, I don't feel I should have to authenticate my car @ the mercedes dealer everytime I drive it :rolleyes:

I am going to be spending $1500+ for a new fujitsu N6010 notebook computer for graduation which I will be promptly formatting and installing my idle copy of win98 due to the activation crap in xp. XP would be a great os without activation :mad:
Until activation is gone I will never buy a MS product or any other company that uses activation

/rant

Wait. You will use 98 just because you have to activate Windows XP? What do you have against activation? It takes all of two seconds and you don't have to worry about it until a new format or if you install/uninstall your drivers very very frequently. I fail to see why you would use a far inferior (my opinion, I know) OS just because of activation.

At least he could use 2000, or invest in a corporate license for himself and 500 of his friends. :D
(Yes, "500" is pure guesswork.)

FiZ said:
Wait. You will use 98 just because you have to activate Windows XP? What do you have against activation? It takes all of two seconds and you don't have to worry about it until a new format or if you install/uninstall your drivers very very frequently. I fail to see why you would use a far inferior (my opinion, I know) OS just because of activation.

He'd do it because he's clearly clueless about activation. Nothing is more bothersome and ignorant than someone ranting about a company doing something to protect it's products. On top of that, activation is so simple, a monkey could do it. Even if the online activation doesn't work, or isn't an option, it literally takes 2 minutes on the phone to get it done. Perhaps he should spend his graduation money on some common sense and knowledge of business. Oh, and depending on the hardware in his new laptop, it may not have 100% of the functionality if it was running XP. It's people like him that deserve to sit in a corner and use a type-writer. I bet he's smiling right now too, because ignorance is bliss.

I'd be amused to see Microsoft following in DirecTV's footsteps and just corrupt pirated copies of Windows. Shut down network access altogether or something even more devious.

Won't happen for many reasons but it's a nice thought. Piracy sucks. Why don't you go buy a copy of XP and count the cost against all those MP3s and DVDs you downloaded?

qb4ever said:

*Clip*
Except Fuijitsu activates it for you, using OEM Bios Locking, and you won't have to activate it anyway. But you know, whatever floats your boat.

djnes said:
He'd do it because he's clearly clueless about activation. Nothing is more bothersome and ignorant than someone ranting about a company doing something to protect it's products. On top of that, activation is so simple, a monkey could do it. Even if the online activation doesn't work, or isn't an option, it literally takes 2 minutes on the phone to get it done. Perhaps he should spend his graduation money on some common sense and knowledge of business. Oh, and depending on the hardware in his new laptop, it may not have 100% of the functionality if it was running XP. It's people like him that deserve to sit in a corner and use a type-writer. I bet he's smiling right now too, because ignorance is bliss.

I am consistently changing hdds, software, drivers, cdroms out of my computer if I had to activate everytime I changed them I would be on the phone every 2-3 minutes reactivating xp. I would pay a little more for a copy of windows xp that wouldn't have activation so I wouldn't have to worry about. it It's called convinence. My only problem with activation is I'm always changing things in my computer..

qb4ever said:
I am consistently changing hdds, software, drivers, cdroms out of my computer if I had to activate everytime I changed them I would be on the phone every 2-3 minutes reactivating xp. I would pay a little more for a copy of windows xp that wouldn't have activation so I wouldn't have to worry about it, THAT is my problem with activation, I constantly change hardware and software

Unless your doing reviews for a hardware site, you don't have a reason to swap hardware that much. I'm lucky enough to hav a legal VLK version that doesn't need activating, but I always get asked to work on machines that need to be activated, and it's never a problem.

Besides, if you quit your ranting, and researched two words: Ghost and Sysprep, you'd have nothing to worry about. But, as usual, it's always easier to blame someone else, and say it's too hard, instead of putting some effort into solving the problem.

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
Windows is overly priced, a retail copy is alone 200! I think it should be more like 40-50 tops when the os cost only 9 dollars to make or less. :rolleyes:

Then don't buy it. Use a FOSS alternative. Rationalizing doesn't make it right ;)

djnes said:
Unless your doing reviews for a hardware site, you don't have a reason to swap hardware that much. I'm lucky enough to hav a legal VLK version that doesn't need activating, but I always get asked to work on machines that need to be activated, and it's never a problem.

Besides, if you quit your ranting, and researched two words: Ghost and Sysprep, you'd have nothing to worry about. But, as usual, it's always easier to blame someone else, and say it's too hard, instead of putting some effort into solving the problem.

I had a bad week last week so sorry about the ranting, me pissed off + hardforum is always bad. :( Also about 90% of the time I am copying info from other hdds becuase my network is too slow so the thought of having to reactivate/restore an activated image after irks me the wrong way. It's another loss for consumer rights because of the bad pirating. I don't like not having the abillity to use my computer without having ET phone home everytime windows doesn't like something
So how much is it to get a vlk version ?

The only issue i had with VLK is when something DOES go horribly wrong with one of my customers computers i have to call into Microsoft and have them re-open one of the keys so i can get the legitimate copy of windows reinstalled.

iNViSiGOD said:
The only issue i had with VLK is when something DOES go horribly wrong with one of my customers computers i have to call into Microsoft and have them re-open one of the keys so i can get the legitimate copy of windows reinstalled.

VLK has a common key for all the machines, even if you have to reinstall, there is no need to call Microsoft. I quite don't understand what you mean by calling MS to "reopen one of the keys".

I misread what was posted,sitting at work peeking at the forums while the boss is away makes for a bad read. I withdraw what i stated.

qb4ever said:
I am consistently changing hdds, software, drivers, cdroms out of my computer if I had to activate everytime I changed them I would be on the phone every 2-3 minutes reactivating xp. I would pay a little more for a copy of windows xp that wouldn't have activation so I wouldn't have to worry about. it It's called convinence. My only problem with activation is I'm always changing things in my computer..
Even so I fail to see what the problem is. You get about 20 activations (my guess) before you have to call in, then you get 20 more, etc.

FiZ said:
Even so I fail to see what the problem is. You get about 20 activations (my guess) before you have to call in, then you get 20 more, etc.

thats what i was told, but i had to call to activate my GF's computer on the 4th install, out of all the times i called, that was the only on i sat on hold for.

k1pp3r said:
thats what i was told, but i had to call to activate my GF's computer on the 4th install, out of all the times i called, that was the only on i sat on hold for.
Well, you are the vast minority unfortunately. I am the same as you, constantly updating, constantly switching hardware but companies need to take a stand like this to stop thieves (like myself). The sheer inconvenience of pirating an OS will force me to actually buy it.

I did own a legit copy of XP though. I had to call twice to get it activated and was on hold for 30 seconds and it was pretty easy. As long as they make it this easy I don't see a problem.

qb4ever said:

/rant

I usually think that everyone is entitled to an opinion...you have changed my beliefs

HHunt said:
Agreed. It does, however, remove the actual loss inherent in stealing from the equation, leaving us with only the much vaguer "possible lost sale". The problem that the seller-side has to address is no matter how "unethical" is seems, a copy made does not neccesarily equate to any reduction in income. Indeed, it might have an opposite effect, given a longer time scale.

that 'possible lost sale' is more real than you think. and im also going to explain why the 'i wouldn't buy it anyway' mentality is a bunch of bullshit and doesn't hold any water.

people say, oh i would never buy it anyway if i couldn't pirate it. this might be true for some, but not for many. its like saying, 'if i was in a room with a bunch of ninjas, i would kick their asses like on TV!'. when in fact the ninjas would kill you with ninja-like speed and escape undetected back to their ninja dojo.

the bottom line is, a person can never know what he would do in a theoretical world where things could not be pirated and only bought legimately, because he can only theorize. its easy to say you wouldn't as an argument against the 'possible lost sale' in a thread like this, but its simply not valid.

huxley said:
Well, you are the vast minority unfortunately. I am the same as you, constantly updating, constantly switching hardware but companies need to take a stand like this to stop thieves (like myself). The sheer inconvenience of pirating an OS will force me to actually buy it.

I did own a legit copy of XP though. I had to call twice to get it activated and was on hold for 30 seconds and it was pretty easy. As long as they make it this easy I don't see a problem.

i dont' know if you thought i was complaining or not, i wasn't, what i ment was out of all the times i have called, i only sat on hold once, it was like a 15 minute hold, but oh well, they do have the right to protect their property.

oh and i use to use ME, i would never use it again, activation on any software would never drive me to use an iferior(sp?) product. it jsut doesn't bother me that much

k1pp3r said:
i dont' know if you thought i was complaining or not, i wasn't, what i ment was out of all the times i have called, i only sat on hold once, it was like a 15 minute hold, but oh well, they do have the right to protect their property.

oh and i use to use ME, i would never use it again, activation on any software would never drive me to use an iferior(sp?) product. it jsut doesn't bother me that much
Ok cool, we are on the same page. I do find their 80 character activation codes a bit ridiculous though.

doh-nut said:
that 'possible lost sale' is more real than you think. and im also going to explain why the 'i wouldn't buy it anyway' mentality is a bunch of bullshit and doesn't hold any water.

people say, oh i would never buy it anyway if i couldn't pirate it. this might be true for some, but not for many. its like saying, 'if i was in a room with a bunch of ninjas, i would kick their asses like on TV!'. when in fact the ninjas would kill you with ninja-like speed and escape undetected back to their ninja dojo.

the bottom line is, a person can never know what he would do in a theoretical world where things could not be pirated and only bought legimately, because he can only theorize. its easy to say you wouldn't as an argument against the 'possible lost sale' in a thread like this, but its simply not valid.

"Possible lost sale" is a real effect, yes. How big it is probably varies from product to product, and market to market. I don't honestly think discreet are losing a lot of money from people copying 3d studio, for instance, while most people copying windows would have bought it if they didn't aquire it otherwise.
What I'm trying to say that while it's an easy defense, it's still a real effect of discussable importance.

My favorite example of underplaying this is RIAA suing someone for the cost of buying a few thousand mp3s as singles, multiplied by how many people might have downloaded them from you. The net result according to this calculation is that you have, by downloading these songs, "cost them" a few decades worth of normal income.

Hypothetical response ;):

I have a friend, who knows this guy, who has a friend, who heard about this other guys friend:

This friend, he uninstalled a network card driver, from the control panel. Upon restart, windows told this friend, that he needed to re-activate windows. Of course, this.... freind, was very pissed that a network driver was considered a majoir hardware change. The computers case lid had not been taken off in months.

This friend called microsoft tech support to get a new activation key, and could not understand anything that was being spoken on the other end of the phone. After 13 minutes of decypering the heavy accent, this friend did manage to get his windows activated... Which, he paid $120.00 for at walmart a few months ago.

This friend was mad, and thought it all was complete bullshit. He sat up for several days on the internet, looking through wares sites, and enduring pop-up ads. And Finnaly, at 1:12Am, he found a windows Xp home SP2 activation crack that worked!

Activation = poop. I, I mean this friend, paid $120.00 for windows xp, and was locked out of it because ... this friend... tried to remove a networking card from device manager. Its not that that pisses....this friend off. Its the horribly heavy accented tech suport, and the shitty automated system that cant understand a DAMN THING i say, I mean this friend... said... yeah.

I will deny the activation crack like the government, all the way to the end!

You paid $120 bucks for the license to USE the software, per the EULA terms. You OWN nothing. Its still MS's property that they can control as they see fit. If you want to be technical.. :D

Funny thing is, I switched my old computer into a linux server and installed XP on my new computer, using the same legit copy I bought. Worked fine. But eventually it asked to be activated again after a few hardware changes/reinstalls. I switched to a corp hacked version for a while until I got all the bugs worked out of my system. Now this week I went and reinstalled using my legit copy and it activated fine. Odd..

bob said:
Long rant about justifying piracy.

Didn't you get it working again? In 15 minutes? If you get some guy with a horrible accent and/or an idiot, just hang up and call right back.

Plus, this thread really wasn't about Windows activation, it's about pirated Windows not receiving updates.

However, as Ranma_Sao said in another thread, they are allowing pirated copies to download security updates, which is a good idea IMO.

wow, i just went to windows update and there was an update to the windows update software along the lines of "genuine advantage"

KevinO said:
I agree that Microsoft has been too lenient. I am very happy to see this. I think the OS could be priced a little cheaper, but for $100 (most people who run pro doesn't need it so I am going to price home) that isn't bad.

I don't know if I agree that MS has the fastest patch response time, because I switch between Linux and Windows and find Linux to be a little more "on top of the game" (just my opinion). But I do agree that every OS will have flaws.

Don't get me wrong, I am not dissappointed in how Microsoft approaches releasing patches. I especially like how they provide SUS (Software Update Services) free of charge for corporations to assist in patch management.

Linux get's faster patches cause that's where the smart people are. They are teh haxorz. They gotta patch before they start releasing teh v1r1 for winders

I said I wouldn't pay for windows...but my mom offered to since we got pirated versions. So I'm off to sams club to get Win XP *cough* home*cough*

I'll be a bit liegit now.

qb4ever said:

/rant

Dude I rather eat raw sewage then use winme. Oh man you must be a crazy guy for wanting to use that os. ;)

lithium726 said:
wow, i just went to windows update and there was an update to the windows update software along the lines of "genuine advantage"
i got the same thing a couple of days ago.

I own a legit copy of XP Pro. I too, tire of the reactivating when I change something. My retail copy stays in a box in my closet. What's on my rig? Guess...

old thread brought back to life eh?? Had to change my serial number again to be able to get updates.... another day, another serial number.... *sigh*

QJ

I have a legit copy of windows, and I do have to reactivate some times. Yall are acting on your on the phone for hours. It takes literally 5 minutes to activate and be on your way. Most people don't need XP pro.u can get a copy of windows xp home shipped for less than $50. you pay more than that on your cell phone bill each month. Like many people has said, windows is constantly supported and constantly updated. Microsoft has been extremely leniant in allowing pirated copies of Windows. Even if XP was $40, and you could install it on as many pc's as u want, and it was the perfect OS, people would still pirate it. It's a morality issue when it's all said and done.

Back