No picture

I got this PC that I'm working on. I just got the case and I plugged it into my old 17" CRT. It boots up with no beeps, but there is no signal to my monitor. I thought maybe the video card went out so I swapped my old AGP card and still the same thing. There were two memory sticks, one 1GB and one 512MB so I took one then the other out. I unplugged every drive and cleared CMOS, nothing. PC is pretty old I think. There is a GeforceMX4000 card in there. Any ideas?

Well first of all, make sure that your monitor is actually working. Second, the case might be shorting the mobo. So take the mobo outside of case, lay it on a box, preferably a mobo box but any non-metallic box will do. Then jump it with the screwdriver.

Try another PSU? Try reseating the CPU? Try another vidcard? Is there a system speaker plugged in?

I checked the CPU by putting it in my system and it worked. I tried my working PS, VC, mem, CMOS bat, and still no signal. It powers everything up, I can hear the HD spinning. I tested the beeps by taking out the memory and booting without it, but it didn't beep. The speaker is connected correctly. I'm out of ideas other then mobo being fried or BIOS chip being dead. The problem is the mobo has no brand markings anywhere on it. So I couldn't get a working BIOS chip if I wanted to. Anyone have any ideas?

I will try taking the mobo out of the case as the last resort next time I'm working on it.

Back