No post after mobo/cpu update...

Vorazan

Gawd
So, I got a new ASUS P5N32E-SLI Plus mobo and C2D e6700. Installed everything as usualy, turned the power on.

Monitor stays blank. All fans, cpu, case fans, PSU fans lit up. Video card power is plugged in and video card fan is spinning. The light on the motherboard is green.

No post, no beeps.

I reseated everything, still nothing.

I removed both RAM sticks, no beeps on powerup, as there normally should be with both sticks removed.

I unplugged the video card power, and the card started beeping as it should.

There were no weird smells or anything. It just wont post.

What could it be?

RAM, CPU and MOBO are both new. I bought CPU and MOBO off a guy on the forum, RAM was brand new from the store.

first of all lets have a little more system specs. if you please

Well,

P5N32-E SLI Plus Mobo
C2D e6700
2Gb (2x1Gb sticks) OCZ PC2-6400 SLI-Ready Ram
OCZ ModStream 520W PSU
BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 320 OC2

are you able to get into the bios are do you have a totally blank screen

I believe my first inclination here is towards the motherboard. Taking out the ram sticks and receiving no beeps can usually indicate a bad board. I'm assuming you tried different ram slots?

Are the fans spinning at a seemingly normal rate? What does the monitor display? Is the power light just amber? Does it say "no signal?"

looked at an other forum post he is having the same problem pull ram as dallows siad and see if there are any beeps

Haha, guys, I figured it out.

This mobo has an 8-pin ATX12V power plug. My PSU doesn't have such a plug, thats why I didn't plug anything in it.

Then, I just happened to read the manual and it says that you can also use a 4-pin ATX12V power plug, which my PSU has.

After I plugged that power plug in, the system posted without any problems.

Thanks for all your helpful advice.

Yah, without that plug, the CPU doesnt get enough power. Glad you figured it out.

I thought it would beep if that was the case? Guess that's only with the extra power connector for the vid card.

I just didn't suspect that you could use a 4-pin plug in an 8-pin socket.

Well, I learned something new from this build lol. Its always like that, every time you encounter some new issue, and then the solution is so simple.

I just didn't suspect that you could use a 4-pin plug in an 8-pin socket.

Well, I learned something new from this build lol. Its always like that, every time you encounter some new issue, and then the solution is so simple.

If I had actually taken the time to look at the hardware specs you had, lol, might've had a quicker solution.

I thought so too, because without that plug mobo showed all signs of being dead, not even beeping with RAM removed.

Back