No post with Gigabyte DS3

Xodus5

n00b
I'm hoping that it is not the mobo and the cpu fan spins, and my back 120mm fan spins and the vid card fan even spins(ultra loud).I'm hoping its only the vid card but my comp won't post and the manual claims that I need monitor drivers. I can't find the cd with drivers on them but I can find them on the manufactor website. So what I plan to do is take my HDD out of my comp but it in the comp downstairs then download drivers to that. Thats a long process so does anyone have any other suggestions? OR could it just be something not connected?
Note: I don't want to take it to fry's but by friday I will.
Specs:
Gigabyte DS3
C2D e6400
7900GS KO
160 GB HDD
Xclio 500w PSU

Uhm... You dont need drivers until AFTER your motherboard posts...

You might need to:

A. update your BIOS to the latest revision.
B. Use a stick of cheaper DDR2-533 ram to get it to post...
C. Clear your CMOS battery.

Or any combination of the 3.

have you tried disconnecting the power plug from the power supply for atleast 10 seconds? maybe a minute then plugging it back in and turning it back on? Sometimes my ds3 does the same thing and this fixes the problem. Im thinking sucky bios :mad:

thanks for the suggestionbs guys, I'll clear the cmos battery and do the power supply unplug tricks. As for the BIOS, how would I go about revising it?

Edit: I also don't have a stick of ddr2 533 only ddr2 800

Possible case shorting? Did it work outside the case? Probably RAM I'd guess. Seems to be a common problem with the By Spd timings not working at default voltage.

I'd say get a real cheap 256mb stick of DDR2 memory. You can get it from newegg for like $30 or so. Just keep it around to post with to change your memory timings/voltage.

Xodus5 said:
so really thats the only conflict, what speed should it be?

cheap stuff...DDR2 533 is fine for what you're using it for. Just make sure it's good at 1.8V.

I'm not sure that's the problem, but your memory is spec'd at 2.0V, and the DS3 is known to not play friendly with higher voltage memory.

Once you get your board to post, flash the bios to F7 or newer and set the memory timings to 2.0V and the memory you have should work.

Mine wont post if I have a USB thumb drive in it when I start/restart it..........probably not your problem, but thought I'd throw it out there......

What type of RAM are you using?

The DS3 has been known to have problems with the Micron D9 based memory strips.

I had to DOA my DS3 and exchange to a P5B-E cause of that. It was very annoying.

i forget how you get into the bios screen that adjusts the mem. timings, can you tell me ?

Back