No signal to monitor digital

GKA

n00b
Hi guys,

Well what a headache this has been today, I went to reboot my system.
During the POST boot the monitor went into standby and displayed the message: (no signal - Digital). The monitor is connected to my video card through a DVI to DVI cable and has been working for a number of months.

I switched cables to a VGA to VGA-DVI adaptor resulting in VGA to DVI.
The monitor detected the signal and flashed up with "analog" in the top right of the screen.

System then booted into windows.

I can see in my monitor's options there is an "input" option where I can select either digital or analog. However if I select digital the screen turns black and then immediately switches back to analog (i assume because the analog signal is the only active one).

Could my DVI-DVI cable of died or am I missing something really simple here. How do i get my monitor back onto a DVI signal?

Equipment:
Monitor : Viewsonic VX2255wm series
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 285

Any help or advice would be greatly received! Thank you!

Well, if you have a dvi-d cable, it should work. Dvi-a is analog cable and dvi-i supports both digital and analog. Boot to windows and at your monitor settings choose digital. Then switch to it. If that doesn't work, you may try rebooting your pc a few times, sometimes it helps. Also, shutdown your system, and unplug the power cord. Leave it turned off for about 15 minutes, then turn it back on. Were you doing some changes to your system? Like overclocking, installing hardware?

Igneos thank you kindly for your reply.

To answer your question, I hadn't done anything with regard to hardware changes however over the past week I've noticed the monitor failing to go into standby. My system is on 24/7 pretty much and a couple of times a week I do a reboot to clear everything down. Just so happens today a large antivirus update came down the line and wanted a reboot to complete.

I believe the cable I was using was dvi-d.
With this cable connected I cannot switch through the monitor inputs until the monitor has a signal, only then will it display the menu. This seems odd to me.......

I've tried rebooting the system multiple times with the dvi-d connected and each time I get "no signal - digital" and then the monitor goes black and the standby light comes on.

I've tried powering down the system, removing cable, switching the PSU switch off. Holding the power button on the system in once unplugged. Connecting everything back up and I get the same no signal behavior.

As soon as I remove the DVI-D cable and plug in via VGA to VGA(DVI)adaptor I get an instant signal to the monitor but the mode is now in analog........ Crazy!

I don't have enough time to switch the menu to digital and then connect the DVI cable back up as after 3-4 seconds it resorts back to analog.

Hope I've explained the issue a little better.

you have two dvi's on your gpu? It seems one might have given up the ghost, but don't hold me to it....usually when I get these issues, it's when I fiddle with overclocking my system....can you borrow another video card from a friend and give it a try?

Back