No Virginia, there are no 8GB cards on the horizon....

I mentioned in the other thread with the WCCFTech article that if there were 8GB cards on the horizon, we probably wouldn't see them until summer next year after GM200/GM210 drops. Doesn't make sense from a business perspective for NVIDIA to do this at the moment.

I think Nvidia will release them in November...they have to...they need to match AMD's 290x 8GB...the new breed of Radeon R9 290X graphics adapters with 8GB of GDDR5 memory will be released on November 6th so expect Nvidia to rain on that parade

"near future"

So really this depends entirely on what someone thinks "near future" means.

I think Nvidia will release them in November...they have to...they need to match AMD's 290x 8GB...the new breed of Radeon R9 290X graphics adapters with 8GB of GDDR5 memory will be released on November 6th so expect Nvidia to rain on that parade

They are already pushing AMD with the 9xx series. Look how much the prices had to drop. They are in the drivers seat at the moment, I can't see them doing this just as a reaction to AMD.

They are already pushing AMD with the 9xx series. Look how much the prices had to drop. They are in the drivers seat at the moment, I can't see them doing this just as a reaction to AMD.

VRAM is the new buzzword in the enthusiast community...much like CPU cores has overtaken processor speed (GHz)

VRAM is the new buzzword in the enthusiast community...

Exactly. Enthusiast are not in the majority and a very small percentage of overall sales. Now imagine the "Vram crowd" being even smaller. Doesn't seem worth the expense on Nvidia's part with 20nm in production and past tape out, and 16nm FF on gpu's still 8+ months away from mass production capabilities.

That's why Nvidia should allow their partners to build some custom 8GB cards.

Gibbo has been pretty spot on at OCUK. Says he talked to AIB partners and Nvidia, NO 8GB CARDS in the near future

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27138418&postcount=82

Maybe later kids! GDDR5 shortage?

Take it for what its worth. Yell, scream, do your happy dances, just putting it out there for you. :p

Of course, he already had said prelaunch they were probably arriving in November, just as he said many other things prelaunch that were actually spot-on and then later redacted due to the tabloid-site attention brought to the posts and the negative impact that came in from leaking said info ;). I would not be surprised one bit if this were more of the same and CYA behavior (rightfully so, don't get me wrong) as a result ;).

Here was his quote from September 3rd, for example:

980 / 970 4GB reference cards with 8GB coming at a later date with custom coolers. Can’t say any more but don’t expect a huge leap in performance over current single GPU stuff.

My guess is that 8GB of memory will be an exclusive feature of Titan 2 ($$$$) for a few months.
Once the super high-end market is milked, NVIDIA will trickle down 8GB to the rest of its line up.

My guess is that 8GB of memory will be an exclusive feature of Titan 2 ($$$$) for a few months.
Once the super high-end market is milked, NVIDIA will trickle down 8GB to the rest of its line up.

By then a new series of cards will be out.

Back