No Windows OS will install

illuminate

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, well I've tried and tried, but no avail, so i ask for yalls help:

Yesterday I decided to do a clean install of both of my OS's (ubuntu and Vista).

I had Vista installed on a 80gb drive, and Ubuntu on a 120gb.

I formatted both drives using my Vista Home Premium install disk, and then installed ubuntu FIRST, on the 120gb drive.

Got ubuntu all set up, and then went to install Vista on the 80gb...but now tsome weird stuff is happening:
I tried to install my copy of Vista, and i click on the drive and i get this error: http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd105/johnspalding4/DSC00076.jpg

So, I clicked the "format" button there, and tried to install to it again, but same error. I thought maybe it was my CD, so i tried it with Windows 7, same thing. Tried it with XP, same thing. I also tried formatting with my 7 disk, and XP, and i get the same thing.

I KNOW the drive works, but i get that error.

Thanks for the help!

I haven't seen that error before with Vista or 7 since I've only done dual-boot Linux/Win with WinXP/2000. However, I do know that if you install Linux first, it will write into the drive's boot sector. Windows may be looking for a Windows formatted boot sector.

I've always found it easier to install Windows first and then later install Linux. However, there may be an easier way than formatting and starting again.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_linux_is_already_installed.htm

ÆonTrinity Funny that you say to install Windows first, cause i just uninstlled Ubuntu, formatted the drive, and installed Windows just fine... so, it's all working!

Still a bit odd.. even though it's working.

I get that error a lot, since I usually run raids and change my BIOS HDD settings a bit. I usually get it fixed with a quick look through the bios, making sure everything is ok.

If I recall, last time I got that error, it was because the HDD wasn't on the boot order (ie. First Boot Device, Second Boot Device, etc)

I get that error a lot, since I usually run raids and change my BIOS HDD settings a bit. I usually get it fixed with a quick look through the bios, making sure everything is ok.

If I recall, last time I got that error, it was because the HDD wasn't on the boot order (ie. First Boot Device, Second Boot Device, etc)

I just checked that before the install, and it wasnt listed. I didn't think about it until right after i posted.. haha.

Back