Noisy fan on eVGA 680i SLI??

roflcopter

Limp Gawd
I would like to install the eVGA 680i SLI motherboard, but I'm hearing some different sounds about the optional fan for the passive cooler. Some say it's loud, others deny that. I know it spins at a whopping 5000 rpm at 100% and to me that seems very loud: dustbuster like. What's your opinion about the fan? Is it really loud or does it run pretty silently for such a high speed fan?

i will let you know tomorrow (being delivered) for sure. but at this point, with 3 120mm fans in my case, 92mm fan on my hs, and fans on my vidcards, along with drive noise, i dont think it will make me send it back.

I can't here it over the other case fans, which are all low-rpm 120mm or Vantec Stealth 80mm's. It's fairly inaudible.

Shawn

unixadm - I WANT YOUR CASE!

I have it in a p180 and it is a SUPER loud whine @ 100%. Reminds me of my x1950xtx @ about 90%.

@ 50%-50% i cant hear it over my zaleman 9700.... but its at 100%.

All my voltages are a bit high, i haven't fine tuned after reaching 3.6 stable. After a few minutes of orthos (or any cpu burn in prob) the MCH HSF is to hot to touch @ 50%.

Maybe my fan is a wack?

I've decided to return mine and wait for the Asus P5N32-E SLI which should come without any fans. Thank you for your replies.

I'm finding this fan really annoying as well. All my CMStacker830 case fans are 120mm and super quiet. I just know this little 5k rpm thing is what is making the whine. The 680i is automatically overclocking the HT, PCI-E because it enabled linkboost. Is the 25% overclock on those parts even netting negligible gains in performance because that fan is doing my head in already?

EDIT: I went down to 50% on the nforce fan and switched off the linkboost nonsense. It's SO much better at 50%

Finkus said:
EDIT: I went down to 50% on the nforce fan and switched off the linkboost nonsense. It's SO much better at 50%
Yeah, much better compared to what? Compared to the fan at 100% or a completely silent case?

Finkus said:
The fan at 100% is noisy, at 50% I can't hear it over the case fans.
Okay thanks, but not convincing enough for me :) Although I really liked this mainboard, I returned it today to the store and got a refund. I was the first one complaning about the fan and the resistor on the back of the board. So now I'll wait out for another board like the Asus Striker or P5N32-E SLI.

Back