Noob Question

ToastyBoy

n00b
Hi,
I have 3 unused ports on my Netgear WGT624 wireless router, but I need to hookup 5 more wired PC's this weekend for some LAN gaming. I have access to a 24 port linksys switch from my office. Can I just plug that switch into one of the router ports to add more PC's? Thanks

ToastyBoy said:
Hi,
I have 3 unused ports on my Netgear WGT624 wireless router, but I need to hookup 5 more wired PC's this weekend for some LAN gaming. I have access to a 24 port linksys switch from my office. Can I just plug that switch into one of the router ports to add more PC's? Thanks

assuming the switch is autosensing yes.

I would hook up everything to the switch, including the router
you should get better LAN performance that way as well

One note on connection:

A standard ethernet cable will run between a regular port and an "uplink" port. If both devices have uplink (not the router WAN port) ports available, either can be used.

Alternately, a regular-regular or uplink-uplink connection can be made with a crossover cable.

lomn75 said:
One note on connection:

A standard ethernet cable will run between a regular port and an "uplink" port. If both devices have uplink (not the router WAN port) ports available, either can be used.

Alternately, a regular-regular or uplink-uplink connection can be made with a crossover cable.

unless the device is autosensing, in which case it doesn't matter

- edit meant auto sensing, not switching, DER

Back