noobish question on quad-monitor config

synaps3

Gawd
I'm going to be using four monitors with my next setup. So far I have a 7800GT and I will probably get a really cheap PCI video card, possibly this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102447. I will be gaming on the 7800GT, but the other monitors will be used for coding or for Winamp or other simple 2d apps.

Will Windows automatically allow me to manage the four monitors like it does for two? Or will I have to download a custom program to do this?

All four monitors will be running in different resolutions.

Also, if you know where I can get a PCI video card with dual-monitor support and at least one DVI port for cheaper, let me know.

I would strongly recommend looking for an NVIDIA pci card, in my experience with these type of setups, your just asking for a shitload of driver issues running both ATI and NVIDIA at the same time, they just don't play nice with each other.

Windows will let you configure your monitors, no problem, but I would recommend UltraMon, it's a great tool for multi display setups.. well worth the money.

This would probably be a better choice, in my opinion.

Ouch. I'm not going to pay $75 for a 3-gen old card. That would be dumb.

How would it cause driver issues, the screens are rendered by each card completely separately... I've played with Ultramon before, I'll have to see if I can find it again. :D

So I don't need anything special then. Thanks for the answer!

I'm down to 3 monitors, used to use 4 on a daily basis. You don't need anything. Just plug and go.

I used to run 4 monitors. I had an nividia card for the gaming and an ati for simple 2d apps. The drivers never conflicted. you should be good to go. I don't know why people always says problems will arise if they have never gone through the situation before.

but yeah, if you want an ATI and Nvidia card, you should not have any problems. I used a crap 9250 and it ran fine.

I don't know why people always says problems will arise if they have never gone through the situation before.

Ahem.
I don't know why people continue to make assumptions about advice given by others when they have absolutely nothing to base those assumptions on..../rant.

I have run multiple video cards in the past, and in my particular situation I had issues with the drivers conflicting. Therefore, I felt that I should advise the op that driver issues could be a problem. You have no driver problems? Great, I'm glad to hear it. I personally had nothing but problems running an NVIDA pci card with and ATI AGP card, and when I ditched my secondary NVIDIA card for an ATI, my problems were gone. Now if this was some amazing coincidence, fine, but somehow, I doubt that is the case.

Now, granted this was a while back, and perhaps changes have been made and these type of issues are no longer a problem, and if that's the case, I apologize...

But, don't run around accusing others of talking out their ass when you have absolutely no way of knowing for a fact that this is the case.

Be nice, you two.

I'll try to get an NVIDIA card, but I am already way overbudget. If I can get one for 30-ish, then I'll get it. Otherwise, I'm going with the card I linked to.

But, don't run around accusing others of talking out their ass when you have absolutely no way of knowing for a fact that this is the case.

In my experience at this forum every time someone asks about this issue there are always people who say there are gonna be driver conflicts. And then when I say I didnt have any issues, these people usually respond, "oh, yeah i was assuming, i never ran an ati and nvidia card". this is where i was getting my assumption. Not yeah this not the case all the time.

My bad. I did not read your post closely enough, where you specifically stated "in my experience". My bad. :)

Back