Nook Color $200.00 Ebay daily deals

They supply a list of states that get taxed (and the tax rate) under the Shipping tab on eBay.

I also find it tempting but I already have a laptop and Kindle 3, and don't really need portable media device. Still, it'd be fun to play around with.

Damn, I bought one for $300 shipped to Canada a month ago.

A fully unlocked and rooted Nook Color running Android 2.2 is so much more than a Laptop/Kindle 3.

Having trouble finding solid information on this, does the Nook Color support AVI files yet?

No, MP4 @ 854x480 or less only. But it plays those beautifully and it really doesn't take long to re-encode them.

No, it supports MP4 containers with a variety of content inside (h.264 video streams with AAC audio streams primarily) which are fairly easy to create using apps like HandBrake and others. If you've got AVI files, you can probably demux them (split into audio and video streams) and then remux them (slap 'em back together) into an MP4 container and it might work if it was something like Divx or Xvid encoding with MP3 audio).

It runs Android so, whatever Android can natively handle is pretty much what the NOOKColor can handle, and some custom ROMs might add more support by using a specific media player that offers more options and format support.

I think I might order a third Nook Wednesday. :)

This deal will probably disappear tomorrow at some point; it's one of B&N's weekly deals they do from their eBay page, and it usually lasts 24 hours or so. Could be different this time, could be an experiment by them to see if the $199 price point makes a difference - and of course, based on the results, it does.

Could be they're about to lower it at the retail store level and their own site to $199 every day too... they're sure as hell selling plenty of them. ;)

DOH!!! They even say it on the page: "The offer will expire at 8:00:00 AM PT on March 3, 2011." so, yeah, Wednesday should be fine. :D

No, it supports MP4 containers with a variety of content inside (h.264 video streams with AAC audio streams primarily) which are fairly easy to create using apps like HandBrake and others. If you've got AVI files, you can probably demux them (split into audio and video streams) and then remux them (slap 'em back together) into an MP4 container and it might work if it was something like Divx or Xvid encoding with MP3 audio).

It runs Android so, whatever Android can natively handle is pretty much what the NOOKColor can handle,

Wrong. The only thing it supports with hardware acceleration is MP4 containers (including h.264 obviously) with baseline profile, 854x480 or below. It simply won't work if any of those variables are different. It will throw a "sorry, video can not be played" message.

Well, I've got a few files here I transmuxed into MP4 containers and it's straight Xvid encoded video streams and it plays fine on a friend's NOOKColor so...

I didn't say anything about hardware acceleration which is just one aspect of the video playback capability, not all of it. I create readily compatible clips and videos using HandBrake for the NOOKColor, been doing it since November, haven't had an issue yet.

Been teaching people how to do it over at the MobileRead forums since about that time as well. Works for me, but I can't speak for other's experience...

Hey CP3 is there a Netflix app?
chris paul 3? heh.

OT...

wow. i am so severely tempted to buy one with the money I don't have. (damn you, Visa)

What is the going price for these otherwise?

Well, I've got a few files here I transmuxed into MP4 containers and it's straight Xvid encoded video streams and it plays fine on a friend's NOOKColor so...

I didn't say anything about hardware acceleration which is just one aspect of the video playback capability, not all of it. I create readily compatible clips and videos using HandBrake for the NOOKColor, been doing it since November, haven't had an issue yet.

Been teaching people how to do it over at the MobileRead forums since about that time as well. Works for me, but I can't speak for other's experience...

What programs are you using to play them? Stuff like RockPlayer can play anything, but it won't be hardware accelerated - in other words, unless you enjoy watching low-fi stuff, I hope you enjoy stuttering, out of sync audio/video, and worse battery life.

The maximum non-gpu accelerated file that I have gotten to play smoothly was a 624x352 xvid of House. The bitrate was 900kbps.

In comparison, I watch 854x480 MP4's of Top Gear with 3000kbps flawlessly through the stock player.

That House clip you mentioned is pretty much what the friend uses, tons of Xvid "rips" from... well, someplace out there. :D

I typically take files, toss 'em into HandBrake, set it for the iPhone/iPod touch preset, adjust the resolution up to the closest mod 16 resolution (because of the 854 pixel wide limitation), crank up the audio bitrate to 160 or 192 depending on material, then encode and I get excellent results. Anything over 1500 Kbps is pretty much a waste of space given the constraints of the device, and even with the gorgeous clear IPS panel, the video quality ain't hurting with HandBrake and x.264 at work.

Since it's not usable as a media player for external purposes (no HDMI out, etc) encoding for that kind of usage just doesn't make much sense.

But I keep various encodes for various devices anyway...

I'm using AudioGalaxy to stream music to my Nook, I'm using PS3 Media Server to stream to my PS3 but I've been looking for an Android app that will connect to PS3 MS or similar to stream to my Nook. Any suggestions?

Through 8:00 AM PST, March 3 according to the eBay listing. Bought one for about $220 (wonderful Los Angeles tax). I figure it'll let me get used to an Android tablet while the newer tablets get released, more developed, and lower in price.

I love my nook to death. Owned it since the day after christmas and have only booted my netbook like twice since.

If i had $200 lying around i would buy a second one.

One thing that should be noted for anyone on the fence it is next to impossible to brick this thing. It boots from SD so if you royally fuck it up all you have to do is throw the recovery image on the SD and fix it or flash a new rom.

So much fun when you know you can safely tinker with it.

3.0 is SLOW and does not fit the screen properly but its just a rough port from the SDK and wont have an actual rom until they release an AOSP version. The CM7 port is coming along very quickly and 2.2 is damn near ready for daily use. It overclocks like a camp and has really really good battery life. You can boot a rom from SD without touching your internal rom, you can even dual boot roms. This thing is the swiss army knife of android tablets.

800MHZ (1.1ghz if you want) 512MB of ram 5GB of internal storage and an IPS screen for $250 is a hell of a deal, for $200 its insane.

Yeah, deal ends in just over 2 hours.

Guess you missed the part where I (and some other folks) stated:

The offer will expire at 8:00:00 AM PT on March 3, 2011.

So that's 48 hours and ~10 minutes from the time I make this post... plenty of time to still get one if you're so inclined.

5955 sold

5955 * $199 = $1,185,045

Does anyone think the ipad 2 announcement tomorrow is causing B&N to do this in some way or another?

Guess you missed the part where I (and some other folks) stated:

So that's 48 hours and ~10 minutes from the time I make this post... plenty of time to still get one if you're so inclined.

Odd, because it's on the front page of Ebay and says 01h 36m 22s right below it and it is steadily counting down...

Does anyone think the ipad 2 announcement tomorrow is causing B&N to do this in some way or another?

I don't think the iPad 2 has anything to do with it. To B&N this isn't a tablet PC, it's an eReader.

ugh. why am I still considering buying this?

I just need to decide one way or another.

I bit. I've been looking at the Nook Color for a few weeks now, having the price reduced on top of an ebay sale completing made it hard to resist.:D

Odd, because it's on the front page of Ebay and says 01h 36m 22s right below it and it is steadily counting down...

I think the counter is just for show. I've been watching this a few days and the counter keeps resetting.

if I had the cash on hand I would have ordered.. Been wanting an android tablet, but there all outrageous price or crap construction.. this would make a fine happy medium though.

so anyone that has one is the nook app from the market ok to use. I just got a nook noble and have been reading on it and i will still want to read books on the color. I just dont want to lose that part of it. I got it for the tablet but the kids books looks nice for my 4 and 6 year old kids.

So if i just run autonooter thats like stock nook with market?

Does the phiremod flash to internal memory then not just run off sd?

oh and do you have to run autonooter to then run phiremod? I get that autonooter is a rooting install but phiremod doesnt mention it. I have rooted my evo and have run pretty much all roms so im familiar with android but the nook is all new to me.

Last edited:
so anyone that has one is the nook app from the market ok to use. I just got a nook noble and have been reading on it and i will still want to read books on the color. I just dont want to lose that part of it. I got it for the tablet but the kids books looks nice for my 4 and 6 year old kids.

So if i just run autonooter thats like stock nook with market?

Does the phiremod flash to internal memory then not just run off sd?

oh and do you have to run autonooter to then run phiremod? I get that autonooter is a rooting install but phiremod doesnt mention it. I have rooted my evo and have run pretty much all roms so im familiar with android but the nook is all new to me.

Yes, if you autonoot, the Nook firmware stays on and the buttons can still access the Nook features.

ok i might just autonooter for now. I still havent gotten an email that it shipped yet. Ordered yesterday 10:30am.

What sources are there for PDF files of college textbooks? I'd like to get one of these to consolidate all of my college texts into a slate, but I don't know any sites that have a reliable collection of college textbooks (free or paid). I appreciate your tips on this :).

Nook study has a decent amount but you can't put them on your nook (go figure). I got a few that way last semester.

I think the counter is just for show. I've been watching this a few days and the counter keeps resetting.

Click on the counter and it'll show the "winning bidders". It's an ebay thing, so the seller wouldn't have control over it like they would if it were HTML in their add.

I bit -- in for one. Thanks, OP. I've been looking for a tablet to recliner to mess with while TV is boring and I don't feel like using my desktop.

I ordered one, I hope it ships soon :)

Does it matter what kind of micro SD card you use to root it? I was going to just grab a real cheap one on amazon.

Last edited:
I ordered one, I hope it ships soon :)

Does it matter what kind of micro SD card you use to root it? I was going to just grab a real cheap one on amazon.

Stupid thread; I've spent the last 3 hours reading through documentation! During that time I read that it is recommended to use a Class 6 SD card. I found some cheap 2GB cards on Amazon and ordered, but now I'm thinking I should have ordered larger cards. Oh, well, it should get me started...

Back