Normal i7 920 temps?

shawnoen

[H]ard|Gawd
I did the "dummy" O.C. in the BIOS and have been seeing these temps for a week or so now....motherboard is EVGA x58 LE.

Are these normal for an i7 920 at idle?

Curious because I ran OCCT and it shut down after 5 minutes or so saying "CPU TOO HOT"....

Thanks, Shawn

I'm thinking that my Ultima 90 isn't keeping up or something. Might have to reinstall my TRUE 120 horizontally again in my case? Wouldn't fit vertically so I'd previously removed it.

Untitled-2.jpg

Yup, your temps look fine to me. Mine at 4.2ghz idles at about 35c and load about 71c, but I have Corsair H50 on the cpu.

I think your TRUE will be better.

When people reference a single temp such as when you say 35c are you talking about the "CPU temp" value in CPUID or the core temps themselves?

yes, most people are referring to the single CPU temp. Not sure about the variance between the cores and the CPU temp. Yours seems to have quite a gap, mine is within 10c. Might want to try reseating the cooler and apply new TIM.

Yup, your temps look fine to me. Mine at 4.2ghz idles at about 35c and load about 71c, but I have Corsair H50 on the cpu.

I think your TRUE will be better.

35c seems like a VERY good temp!
My i7 920 @ 3.8ghz idles at 40-41c...load about 65c. I'm using a Prolimatech Megahalem.

Right now I have everything set at stock, and while running prime95 I'm getting temperatures around 55-60c. I've got an antec 1200 with all the fans turned on high, and a cogage true spirit. Are these temps normal or did I probably fuck up seating the true spirit? Idle is at about 30-35.

Right now I have everything set at stock, and while running prime95 I'm getting temperatures around 55-60c. I've got an antec 1200 with all the fans turned on high, and a cogage true spirit. Are these temps normal or did I probably fuck up seating the true spirit? Idle is at about 30-35.

I think for that particular cooler that it sounds about right if your 920 is running @ stock.
IIRC, the Cogage True Spirit is about the same thing as a Xigmatek (which isn't a bad thing).

Got my computer running at 3.6Ghz now; and the temp went up by ~5c on both idle and full load. Is 10 hours on prime95 enough to determine if my OC is stable?

Don't worry about those temps. I have a launch day i7 920 and my temps (using the retail intel heatsink and fan) are about 60°C idle and 100°C full load. These things are made of armor.

3.2ghz at 1.1375v.

Ok, thanks for the info. Running 8 threads of OCCT, what would cause it to shut down with a "CPU TOO HOT" message then? CPU cooler not transfering head away from the CPU fast enough?

Don't worry about those temps. I have a launch day i7 920 and my temps (using the retail intel heatsink and fan) are about 60°C idle and 100°C full load. These things are made of armor.

3.2ghz at 1.1375v.

That's crazy for those speeds/voltages!!!!!! But I guess the stock heatsink really sucks :D

Got my computer running at 3.6Ghz now; and the temp went up by ~5c on both idle and full load. Is 10 hours on prime95 enough to determine if my OC is stable?

I'd download OCCT & run Linpack for 10-12 hours. If it'll do that, then i'd say it'll be stable enough for whatever you wish to throw at it. :)

Alright, I'll give that a try sometime soonish. Going to have to wait until next weekend though; might decide to kick up the processor for 3.6 to 3.8 too while I'm at it..

Alright, I'll give that a try sometime soonish. Going to have to wait until next weekend though; might decide to kick up the processor for 3.6 to 3.8 too while I'm at it..

I think i'd try mounting that TRUE again...no matter the position. It'll probably give you better overall load temps.

Just for another reference, with HT off and my 920 at 4.2GHz, my core temps barely break 60C while playing BC2 (~90% CPU load) with my CPU fan at 50% (1500RPM). I'm sporting the old Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with a Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000 (120mm x 38mm) and AS5.

Just for another reference, with HT off and my 920 at 4.2GHz, my core temps barely break 60C while playing BC2 (~90% CPU load) with my CPU fan at 50% (1500RPM). I'm sporting the old Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with a Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000 (120mm x 38mm) and AS5.

Sounds like you got a creampuff of a chip!

:)

Mine's right about there too. I'm 4.2 @ 1.2875v, HT off, and at 100% load P95 I'm at around 70-72c.

How do you see your temps while playing a video game?

Unless 920s are significantly different from 930s, that's an awfully low voltage for 4.2ghz. Mind posting the rest of your voltages? VTT, etc? I'd like to give it a try on mine.

Here is something else to try if you like. Take down your idle and load temps at stock, the current oc, and one more higher oc (perhaps 3.7) and see how far up/down your temps ride. If you cooler isn't keeping up, there'll be dramatic changes. If your temps are more or less the same (this happened to me a while back), it is more likely a mounting issue.

Mine idles at about 34C normal load is about 45C and retarded full prime95 load it will get up to 65C after a day or two. But I only took mine to 3.2 on an H50.

Unless 920s are significantly different from 930s, that's an awfully low voltage for 4.2ghz. Mind posting the rest of your voltages? VTT, etc? I'd like to give it a try on mine.

Kept it simple. I only adjusted vcore voltages, everything else is on auto. SS off and HT off. Ram profile is XMP at the stock voltage of 1.5v. I'm running 4.2 as I type :)

3.2ghz at 1.1375v.

The CPU may be, but we have 6 or 7 workstations at work where at least one has a problem every day due to overheating. (IMO)

RAM sticks are dropping like flys. I'm thoroughly disappointed in Intel's attempt at a HSF. Our CPU's are throttling all the time because they're overheating, and about half of the work stations have severely weakened, or flat out broken mounting clips. CHEAP.

that's the name of the game with value add parts. the reason to include/offer it, is simply that it lets you use your cpu--with very little short term hassle...it's one less barrier to the purchase.

cpu : oem heatsink :: water : disposable plastic bottle

that said, maybe they could have a list of "recommended" heatsinks for any given processor--for those that want to keep it real(simple).

Back