Northbridge Coolers

ToxicAdam

Limp Gawd
Just bought this northbridge cooler from newegg. The northbridge chip is reaching 85c in my case.. and I think its affecting my cpu temps being that its only 2inches from it.

mobo.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

reseat it or something. those temps are ridiculous. i have the same cooler and my nb never goes over 35c.

reseat it or something. those temps are ridiculous. i have the same cooler and my nb never goes over 35c.
oh, I bought this northbridge heatsink today. I haven't got it yet. I was quoting my stock heatsink temps. ;)

haha i was worried. the heatsink is a pain in the ass to install and the fan gets loud over time but it serves its purpose at a good price.

Does it take a lot of force to remove the stock northbridge heatsink? I don't want to pry it off and peel back the chip like a banana..

The stock cooler shouldn't be attached with any adhesive, so you shouldn't have to worry about damaging the chip when you remove the heatsink.

Cool, I should be getting this wednesday. I hope this and the 2000rpm 120mm fan I bought will help lower my case temps.,. which in-turn will lower CPU temps

A question for someone who has this.

What direction is the air flow? Does the fan blow back on the fins?

Doesnt matter what temp it runs, its still dissipating heat energy into the case. It wont help your CPU temps, in fact it may make them worse because the new heatsink will transfer heat from the NB to the air inside the case much quicker and more effeciently. Only way a NB cooler would help CPU temps is if you directed it away and channeled the air outside the case. The NB doesnt take that much power though really...

I don't even have a northbridge sensor on my board, im jealous. I usually have to break out the heat laser and point it at the cooler.

Doesnt matter what temp it runs, its still dissipating heat energy into the case. It wont help your CPU temps, in fact it may make them worse because the new heatsink will transfer heat from the NB to the air inside the case much quicker and more effeciently. Only way a NB cooler would help CPU temps is if you directed it away and channeled the air outside the case. The NB doesnt take that much power though really...

But if I lift heat off the NB up into the heatpipes and direct heat rapidly to the back case exhaust fans, this should be better than the stock passive warming the motherboard... nevertheless I'll see what I've read is true this Wednesday.

Does it take a lot of force to remove the stock northbridge heatsink? I don't want to pry it off and peel back the chip like a banana..

After you make sure it's not secured by any clips, give it a bit of slight twisting to break the TIM if its hardened up. Try not to pull it straight up at first.

But if I lift heat off the NB up into the heatpipes and direct heat rapidly to the back case exhaust fans, this should be better than the stock passive warming the motherboard... nevertheless I'll see what I've read is true this Wednesday.

:).

Its installed! Record CPU temps before: 35c idle , After 29c

coretemp-scr530.png

I knew it! The northbridge was heating up my motherboard.

Its installed! Record CPU temps before: 35c idle , After 29c
Idle temps are completely meaningless. The only way to know if you're benefiting from the cooler is to compare your load temps before and after.

Glad to see the temps go down, just as a rule I never buy thermaltake stuff its kind of ..... gaudy. and maybe it works but most of the time its not worth it.

Back