Northbridge fan is shot

Gh0st

Limp Gawd
I have an MSI K8n Neo2. What can I get as a replacement? The only reason I ask is because I'm not so sure how another heatsink will attach to the northbridge. There are two little spring loaded posts on either side of the heatsink I have now but the few replacements from thermaltake and coolermaster have no hold down device

If you have room for it, the zalman north bridge heatsinks are what i use and they are passive and keep my north bridge 10-20C cooler than the one that was stock with the fan did. However they do stick up quite a bit so make sure nothing lays over the north bridge or it wont fit (I.E. DFI lanparty series motherboards)

Nope, wont work. It would have clearance issues with my video card :(

THIS Is what I use.....Works very well..
But I'm not using the same MOBO as you so I don't know about clearance isuse on that board...

THIS is what I use.

Here's a pic of how it clears my graphics card in an SLI config, you should have good luck with it and some additional overclocking headroom.

VKFVN-Picture009.jpg

Crosshairs said:
THIS Is what I use.....Works very well..
But I'm not using the same MOBO as you so I don't know about clearance isuse on that board...

If the zalmans wont fit, that thing looks bigger so i dont think it would fit either :p

There is one, i think its called an evercool or something like that that is recommened for my motherboard due to clearance issues. I have not used it personally, however, it has good reviews and does not cost very much if i remember correctly :D

I have a MSI K8N Neo2 as well, and my NB fan is beginning to make groaning noises. I have the common blue zalman passive NB fan, but I cannot use it by default due to clearance issues with my watercooled 6800GT. The fins will run into the caps and other elements on the PCB.

I'm thinking of modifying the NB HSF with a dremel to make it fit, but I am not exactly sure how the cooling capacity will be affected if I shorten 1/4 to 1/3 of the pins (I wouldn't cut them off completly, just cut off the tips so the block fits). I'd then do some very light painting to make it look pleasant.

If I do this, I'll let you know how well it works.

DarkenReaper57 said:
I have a MSI K8N Neo2 as well, and my NB fan is beginning to make groaning noises. I have the common blue zalman passive NB fan, but I cannot use it by default due to clearance issues with my watercooled 6800GT. The fins will run into the caps and other elements on the PCB.

I'm thinking of modifying the NB HSF with a dremel to make it fit, but I am not exactly sure how the cooling capacity will be affected if I shorten 1/4 to 1/3 of the pins (I wouldn't cut them off completly, just cut off the tips so the block fits). I'd then do some very light painting to make it look pleasant.

If I do this, I'll let you know how well it works.

It really depends on how much heat your NB puts out. If it gets really hot, thats probably not a good idea. But if it stays pretty cool normally, then cutting a few off shouldnt make a big difference i wouldn't thing. Let us know how it goes though because I would be interested to know for my own zalman heatsink since i have clearance issues with my graphics card.

Back