Norton deleting fahcore

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
For some reason, and this has only happened recently, Norton has started flagging FAHCore_XX.exe as a high level threat and subsequently deleting the exe. Luckily, I can just restore the file from Norton, but this is getting a little ridiculous. I've told Norton to exclude this in their "background scan which you shut off, but we're still going to do it anyway" scan. I'm going to be trying out a different antivirus once this license has run out.

It's not that big of an issue, just an annoyance. Has anyone else had this problem lately?

thats because a bunch of dumb asses decided to report it as a virus.(going to take a wild guess but most likely uneducated ATI owners when ATI had the fah client built into its gpu driver installer) once enough people report it as a suspicious file then norton puts it on the black list. its why i stay away from norton. check out nod32. uses way less resources and the active scanning uses almost no cpu cycles to scan files. ive only seen it hit 1% cpu usage when starting games like borderlands and supcom 1 which both have a bunch of tiny files loading all at once.

Switch to Avira/AVG free client for a while until they fix it?
AVG.. Ew. At least use Microsoft Security Essentials..

Using Norton A/V (not IS) 2011 on my main folding rig, no issues at all. SMP for the i7 & also folding with the 5870.. Which version you running OP?

Thanks for the replies!

I had figured someone had mistakenly started reporting it, either way, it's annoying. NOD32 was definitely on my list to check out, a lot of people on this forum seem to be for it.

The license runs out in 30 days, so I'm just gonna deal with it until then.

The version I'm running now is Norton 2010, version 17.8.0.5. There was a free upgrade popup that started about a month ago to Norton 2011 but I declined.

Out of curiosity, is it important to run an antivirus program on a dedicated folding rig that will never do anything but fold? Both my folding rigs have no protection loaded on it, and I believe I have the Microsoft firewall turned off in order to avoid interfering with the folding client. Both of them are hooked up to the internet via a wireless router.

My laptop is running Norton Internet Security and it is actually pretty nice. I have NOD32 loaded on the gaming rig and prefer Norton because it is so thorough.

Out of curiosity, is it important to run an antivirus program on a dedicated folding rig that will never do anything but fold? Both my folding rigs have no protection loaded on it, and I believe I have the Microsoft firewall turned off in order to avoid interfering with the folding client. Both of them are hooked up to the internet via a wireless router.

My laptop is running Norton Internet Security and it is actually pretty nice. I have NOD32 loaded on the gaming rig and prefer Norton because it is so thorough.
Important? Not really, per se. However, MSE is free, lightweight, unobtrusive, and effective. There is really no reason not to use it.

See if it's the SONAR portion of Nortons doing it, if so you can turn it off (SONAR)

Important? Not really, per se. However, MSE is free, lightweight, unobtrusive, and effective. There is really no reason not to use it.

agree. even if its not being used for anything but folding. its still connected to the internet and ya never know. no reason not to run MSE on any system. wont effect your folding performance.

Back