Not sure if I understand the expectations I have read correctly

Antonius

Limp Gawd
From what I have read, am I wrong in understanding that there will be a 4850, 4870 and the top of the line will be something like a 4870x2? Also, if that is right, the expectation is that you will be able to use 2 4870x2 cards in Crossfire and they are going to be similar in performance to 2 GTX280s? I seem to be getting this impression from the previews and articles I have read, or am I totally wrong?

The 4870X2 isn't coming out for a while.
And one 4870X2 should/will beat the GTX280. Quite decisively.

Ok, so we will be able to use 2 4870x2 in crossfire and the expectation is that they should outperform the sli gtx 280s? I know we KNOW nothing for sure, but that is the thought correct?

Ok, so we will be able to use 2 4870x2 in crossfire and the expectation is that they should outperform the sli gtx 280s? I know we KNOW nothing for sure, but that is the thought correct?

Yes, it should beat it for price and performance...

I find it interesting how things go in cycles...back in the day I found myself a staunch Intel CPU and ATi GPU enthusiast, then as fortunes changed, my systems held AMD CPUs and Nvidia GPUs, now again...it seems...I will likely be Intel CPU and ATi GPU again...how odd. Must be foretold in the stars....:D

How about a single GPU solution? I thought the 4870x2 was going to be a dual GPU so what's the point? :(

A 4870x2 should effectively be a single GPU solution. No AFR or any crossfire methods used. It'll act just like one large GPU with shared memory pool if the rumors are correct.

How about a single GPU solution? I thought the 4870x2 was going to be a dual GPU so what's the point? :(

The point is that two RV770s use around the same amount of power as a single GTX280 GPU, and will probably beat it in terms of performance. Even if it uses two GPUs, it's still comparable to nVidia's single-GPU high-end card because of its scalability. The fact that it uses two GPUs is essentially insignificant.

Yes, it should beat it for price and performance...

Doubtful, 3-4 card setups scale VERY poorly.

A 4870x2 should effectively be a single GPU solution. No AFR or any crossfire methods used. It'll act just like one large GPU with shared memory pool if the rumors are correct.

Just rumors, we don't know that yet, and two X2's would suffer from microstuttering as a result of AFR even if that were true.

Micro-stuttering is only a real problem with lower framerates. If you had high enough rates to get vsync enabled the problem would likely go away. As for the 4870x2 acting like one card it would make sense with a consolidated memory controller on the chip and an extra interconnect on top of the typical crossfirex and pcie connectors.

From everything we can gather at this point the 4870x2 in crossfire should outperform sli gtx 280s. This is nothing more then a Very ealry speculation though, no real way of telling. Dual video card solutions still look questionable at this point though :(

Even if the 4870x2 outperforms the GTX280 (most likely), the GTX280 SLI will probably be faster than the 4870x2 crossfire because scaling beyond 2gups doesn't give a big performance boost.

Even if the 4870x2 outperforms the GTX280 (most likely), the GTX280 SLI will probably be faster than the 4870x2 crossfire because scaling beyond 2gups doesn't give a big performance boost.

If ATI really has made the two GPUs in the X2 function as one, it could dramatically improve the scaling to four GPUs. There's no way to know for sure until they come out, but considering a lot of the rumours surrounding these cards have turned out to be true, I wouldn't rule anything out just yet.

If ATI really has made the two GPUs in the X2 function as one, it could dramatically improve the scaling to four GPUs.
That's what exactly everyone is talking about.
2 GPU's on the same board, functioning as one without any crossfire bridge chips.
If ATI are able to pull it off, it will truly revolutionize the graphic card scene.

Back