Notebook coolers - do you use one?

plasma

Gawd
I am considering a notebook cooler, and was wondering if they are worth it? From reading some reviews I want to get an aluminum one since people say when you put too much pressure on the plastic case ones the fans rub.

I was looking at the coolermaster note pal, but it looks like its USB powered. Should I go for something with an AC power source or is the USB enough?

I've also seen some that have a built in 4 port USB hub which I suppose could prove useful. Does it just connect to one of the notebooks usb ports?

I use an APC passive cooler. IMO anything else is throwing money away. Get it a bit off the ground and the fans do the rest.

I am considering a notebook cooler, and was wondering if they are worth it? From reading some reviews I want to get an aluminum one since people say when you put too much pressure on the plastic case ones the fans rub.

I was looking at the coolermaster note pal, but it looks like its USB powered. Should I go for something with an AC power source or is the USB enough?

I've also seen some that have a built in 4 port USB hub which I suppose could prove useful. Does it just connect to one of the notebooks usb ports?

As far as putting too much pressure on the plastic that the fan rubs on the outer casing: I don't know how much pressure or where they were putting pressure, but how laptop coolers work that shouldn't be a problem.

One of the more popular series of notebook coolers are the Targus. I currently have a Targus ChillPad, which is plastic. It fits my 14" Asus perfectly. You may want a larger size if you have a bigger laptop.

Are you are correctly, the USB Hub will plug into the USB port of your computer.

I use an APC passive cooler. IMO anything else is throwing money away. Get it a bit off the ground and the fans do the rest.

As Fionavar said, the most important thing to properly maintaing a notebook is to keep the bottom clear so air can freely move over it. Usually most laptops have rubber legs which stand them a few milimeters off the ground which is good. Just be careful if you put it on a rug, or a blanket which hinders air flow and quickly heats the computer up.

i like using my antec cooler for my compaq v2000 laptop works good keeps it a lot cooler

Lian Li nc-01. Brushed anodized aluminum. Fans are a tad loud, but it is beautiful and ergonomically perfect. It is designed well for optimal airflows around the notebook, and is height adjustable. It is reasonably priced too at around $28 for the 15 NB model, and comes in a 17" NB size too. IMHO, it is the ONLY notebook cooler.

nc01_b_a.jpg

Back