notebook cpu upgrade quesiton...

MatreX

Limp Gawd
Just got a MX6214 Gateway notebook. Has Celeron 420 M in it. Wanted to know what cpu socket this is, I've found a couple different places that say 478 and 479 sockets.... anyone have a suggestion on what cpus are supported by this notebook? Pentium M, CoreDuo? etc? or if anyone has a link to a good notebook modding forum I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I have this same laptop and have been curious as well, so I'm just going to add to your post instead of starting a new thread.

The CPU currently in it is the Celeron M 420 (Yonah) @ 1.6GHz, which from my understanding is the Celeron little brother of the Core Solo.

CPU-Z reports as it being a 479pin PGA socket, so I am assuming this chip is socketed and can be replaced.

The FSB is at 533MHz and I am unsure as to what the motherboard can actually support.

I've ordered from someone on Ebay a Core Solo T1350, which is an OEM CPU at 1.83GHz with a FSB of 533 as well. (I had to scoop it up fast, so took before getting facts straight. I can always just sell it.)

I have not been able to to determine if this chip is going to fit in the laptop or not and searches have come up with no real definite answers. If this was the 3xx series of Celeron M's I would say for sure the answer is no, but being that the Celeron M 4xx series is Yonah based and basically a Core Solo with half the cache and no SpeedStepping... I don't know.

Any advice from people on here before I go voiding my warranty would be much appreciated.

Well we will soon know. I'm expecting the Core Solo from nicepun to arrive today (hopefully). Based on what I know and after talking to Gateway.. I can find no reason why I shouldn't be able to slip the back panel off pull the Celeron M 420 and slip the Core Solo in.

I'll update this posting once I find out the results.

Any celeron M cpu from the 400 series will work as well as any core duo(yonah) or core 2 duo (merom) cpu. You may need a bios update for the core 2 duo. And as long as you don't have a laptop based on the 940gms chipset you'll be good to go. More info here -->

Core Duo Supported Chipsets

Any core solo/duo that ends in a 50 means that it runs on a 533fsb vs the 667. I've got a T2250,

I also find it odd that intel makes no mention of the TXX50 series cpu's on their site.

Yep found out last night when I put the Core Solo T1350 in place of the Celeron M 420. Worked perfect!

Not bad for a 120 bucks. Went from a Celeron M 420 @ 1.6GHz to a Core Solo @ 1.86GHz doubling the cache from 1mb to 2mb in the process.

i no i'm bringing this back from the dead but i'm looking to upgrade a MX6214 gateway

Has anyone gotten anything faster than the T1350 working in it?

thanks

i upgraded from a celeron m520 to a t2300 on my gateway ml6230. the original fsb was 533 but now its 667 :cool:
snagged the t2300 for a cool $30

the vista performance index went from 3.7 to 4.6 :D LOL

I was looking up on the chipset and found out its the 940gml chipset which isn't the greatest for upgrading, I do believe though that a pentium dualcore cpu should work, something along the lines of a T2060 or T2080, those would be the cpu's to try first and they can be found on ebay for dirt cheap (under $50).

i upgraded from a celeron m520 to a t2300 on my gateway ml6230. the original fsb was 533 but now its 667 :cool:
snagged the t2300 for a cool $30

the vista performance index went from 3.7 to 4.6 :D LOL

where did you do that? ebay?

I am trying to upgrade the memory in my mx6214. I understand that the max memory is 2gb but i was wonder why? I bought 2 2gb so-dimm pc2-4200 533mhz. one stick will work, but with both sticks installed the system won't boot, or at least the screen won't come on. Again, just curious as to why this system is limited to 2gb, and wondering if there is any way around it.

I am trying to upgrade the memory in my mx6214. I understand that the max memory is 2gb but i was wonder why? I bought 2 2gb so-dimm pc2-4200 533mhz. one stick will work, but with both sticks installed the system won't boot, or at least the screen won't come on. Again, just curious as to why this system is limited to 2gb, and wondering if there is any way around it.

Whoa, necro here.

To answer your question, the chipset only supports 2 GB of RAM. There probably isn't an easy way to get around that limit.

Whoa, necro here.

To answer your question, the chipset only supports 2 GB of RAM. There probably isn't an easy way to get around that limit.

Thanks for the response. Not the answer i was hoping for hehe. guess my kid will have to make due with 2gb :p

Ok, this is gonna sound like something from ancient history class - would like to upgrade an old no-name notebook for my kid to mess around with.

CPU-Z says it's a Celeron M 420 (Yonah), 1.6ghz, 533fsb, 1MB L2, 478 mPGA on 945GM and Thermal Design Point of 27W according to CPU-World.

The Core Duo family has TDP of 31W where the Core 2 Duo TDP is 34W so I'd probably stick with the Core Duo.

The T2700 Core Duo has the same 478-pin Micro-FCPGA package and Socket M (mPGA478MT) at 2.333ghz and bus speed of 667mhz and 2MB L2.

Would this be a good choice to upgrade the CPU?

Last edited:
the T2700 will be a great upgrade from that old celeron... you should be able to extend the life significantly with that simple upgrade.

you should also try to max out the ram (2GB) if you haven't already.

Just a note for everyone... Socket 478 and 479 are *physically* the same except for one pin (and even then only sometimes -- there are 3 different Socket 479s!)... the big difference is that some of the wires are moved around inside, so the electrical layout is way different. Good thing we have POSTs to make sure that sparks don't fly if you put in the wrong proc ;)

Back