Notebook Hard Drive Recommendation

jasonlitka

2[H]4U
My notebook's hard drive is about to crap out again. Does anyone have a recommendation on the latest batch of 40GB 5400 RPM drives? On the desktop-side I'm partial to Seagate, how are their notebook drives?

personally i would use Seagate..

I have a Toshiba MK3021GAS HDD in my Apple laptop, and theyre pretty good.. the iBook comes with different HDDs, (same as their Superdrive are Sony/Pioneer)

anyways, i have tried on the Hitachi that comes with my previous one (same iBook 12" 800MHz, RMA after 2 days, not because of it failed tho.), i returned because the amount of heat its generating, and because i swear i wont use IBM HDDs anymore. anyways i find out something interesting, with the Toshiba drive it doesnt get as hot in any basis. when the Hitachi one could be real hot after 30 mins of operating. performancewise they are identical. but your palm could get real hot after a while especially youre using slim/compact laptops

The two drives that died/are dying were IBM. The first was the 10 GB drive that came with the system and the second was the 40 GB that I'm using now. The 40 GB drive gets ridiculously hot, damn close to the 15,000 Seagate in my Desktop and well beyond any desktop 7,200 RPM drive. The extreme heat may also explain why this drive only lasted about 15 months.

Back