Nothin like shorting something out on a friday night

karnick

Limp Gawd
Ok my question is a matter of safety. I was putting in an older hard drive in my old computer.... well the terms 'old' really have no relevence to this problem.... but i pushed the drive back too far and it touched all 3 pins of one of the 3 pin fan connects on the board.. i didnt notice it until i turned the computer on... i saw a small orange dot when i had the comp on and saw a tad of smoke.. immediately turned it off.. must have been on for a total of 5 seconds... now its just a small gray circle around that area but the computer still loads fine, is this safe to use? did i only do damage to that onboard fan connector....

run a few passes of memtest, then prime95, and then play your favorite game. if you get no errors/crashes or strange behaviour, you should be all right.
i did something similar once and shorted out my front usb ports... they seem to be the only thing that's gone bad, fortunatly.

oh i could care less about the stability at this point, ill worry about that later... i mean is this safe to run still or do i have to worry about it putting on a fireworks show after i leave it on for a little while

as long as all the parts are as they should be an no more shorting out can be seen it should be fine. normaly if it goes bad anyway is just a big bang and a cap blows off.... lol

you will be fine tho.

spYkEs

Back