Nothing says annoying like doing pc support on family/friends

IanSMK

Weaksauce
scroll down if you dont feel like reading my worthless superfluous information to go right to the question

yea so i woke up this morning to a lovely pancake breakfast.. only to be barraged with a million questions about computers...

basically i built my dad a computer a couple of months ago, and of course my mom yelled at me when i initially tried to make him a more expensive computer so that he could theoretically play a game or two, so than i eventually got him a decent computer for web browsing

but now my mom feels that he should have a game, i tried explaining to them that i didnt get him a good enough video card to do anything like that... and that she should have listened to me originally.. but alas...

also.. the same delicious pancake breakfast was tainted with questions about my neighbors computer.. Basically he wants to play a WW2 flight simulator.. now years ago i had told him(this was before he 'upgraded').. that i could make him a decent and cheap gaming/websurfing machine... but instead he ordered some other dude to make him the cheapest computer possible.. i already checked it out and i cant see why the guy would have put a video card in this thing....

anyways, i get laughed at everytime i try and explain that they need somewhat decent hardware to run those games... but am i wrong?

my basic question is, whats a good program to toss on these computers to get a definitive list of what hardware is in it, so than i can post these results and discuss on here what is the best(smartest?) upgrades to allow them to play some games.

I usually tell them to run CPUZ... but that is usually hard to explain how to dl and unzip it...

IanSMK said:

my basic question is, whats a good program to toss on these computers to get a definitive list of what hardware is in it, so than i can post these results and discuss on here what is the best(smartest?) upgrades to allow them to play some games.

Just do some research on the current machine and look whats possible.

Lets say he has the following:

Load up CPU-Z and see what hes got. You also may need to pop open the computer to see the model number of the mobo.

Sempy 754 @ 1.6ghz
256 pc2100
onboard everything
40gb HD

Assuming it was a prebuilt machine, it should have an expansion for AGP.

First take a look at the power supply and its current amp on 12v rails. If it looks sufficent (380w+) then you can go ahead and add in a video card depending on the games he play. Look at the min. requirements and recommended. Ask him if he wants to get a really good visual experience or just wants to play the game. At those specs I'd get an x800gto or something along those lines although a 9700pro would play the game your neighbor is asking. Next would be to definately upgrade the ram to 1GB, hands down no matter what. Two sticks of 512 PC3200 will run him <$100. Upgrade the HD which would be PATA, between 80-160 should be fine depending on needs. Last would be soundcard...depending on how his speakers are set up you could ask him if the sound quality is enough...if not then go ahead and ignore that.

Its not so hard...I do it for my family all the time.

alright thx a lot, im going to get the results for both computers and post them in this thread to discuss

IanSMK said:
my basic question is, whats a good program to toss on these computers to get a definitive list of what hardware is in it,

Don't need anything - try looking in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo for msinfo32.exe

Should do everything you want

Back