Nothing works in IE7 on Vista

HOCP4ME

2[H]4U
I'm troubleshooting a really strange problem on a laptop running Vista and IE7. It can browse the Internet, but no active content works at all. It cannot log on to any websites; you type in your credentials and nothing happens. If you go to a weather site and type in a zip code, nothing happens. The map in Google Maps does not show up. Flash and Java will not install, nor will any other addons.

I have already done a spyware scan, tried IE without addons, and reset IE from Internet Settings. The system is proteced with AVG 8.0 and SuperAntiSpyware, so I don't think malware is the problem here. Any suggestions? The computer is running Vista Home Premium.

Please do not say "install FF". My job here is to get IE7 working as I was requested to do so.

I've got no help for you there, I've never seen any issues like that on IE7 at all. Just for a trial run, have you tried to do anything without the antispyware/antivirus running to see if it works any differently?

Please do not say "install FF". My job here is to get IE7 working as I was requested to do so.

Are you at a company that uses a proxy server or automatic configuration script? Maybe those are what is holding it up?

And I second disabling the AVG and AntiSpyware thing to see if that resolves it.

Having a similar problem. Installed fresh Vista 64 and when I went to my first site that said I needed Flash player, I went through the routine a number of times and IE7 refuses to load up the active x plugin. So somewhere I think Active X has been shut off. I went to Macromedia site to manually install and all it finds is Firefox to update. By the way this is on my desktop. I loaded up vista 32 on my lappy and the functions all work.

Having a similar problem. Installed fresh Vista 64 and when I went to my first site that said I needed Flash player, I went through the routine a number of times and IE7 refuses to load up the active x plugin. So somewhere I think Active X has been shut off. I went to Macromedia site to manually install and all it finds is Firefox to update. By the way this is on my desktop. I loaded up vista 32 on my lappy and the functions all work.

Flash won't work in IE on Vista 64 unless you are using a 32bit browser.

Source

Guys, if your using the IE 7 x64 version, that's why. None of that stuff works in the 64 bit explorer. Just use the 32 bit one.

A couple things to try: Check your browser security policy. For a quick check, change your internet security to Low. If that didn't work, put it back where it was.

Then check your group policy by pressing Windows-key and R, then typing gpedit.msc

I can't tell you where to check in group policy, but maybe it's something you know, but didn't think of checking group policy.

Edit: oh and install FF :D

I kid, I kid!

Well, I have discovered that it works fine in safe mode, but even if I go into msconfig and disable all startup programs and non-microsoft services, it doesn't work.

This is IE7 32-bit. It's not just Flash that doesn't work. No ActiveX controls will install, .aspx content will download but not display; heck, even MS's "customize your settings" page doesn't work. About the only thing that shows up in this browser is plain HTML.

Flash won't work in IE on Vista 64 unless you are using a 32bit browser.

Source
The guy didn't say if he was loading 32-bit or 64-bit IE, but Windows XP64 and Vista x64 both default to 32-bit IE. I'm not even sure there's a built-in way to change this.

(Media Player 11 in Vista x64 is the same way)

Try uninstalling IE7. I had a similar issue at work. One of my tech buddies sent me a small file that is an IE7 uninstaller. Don't know where he got it from. But I would think a google search would turn up something.

Click TOOLS -> INTERNET OPTIONS -> ADVANCED -> RESET and that will likely fix whatever horribleness has happened. Also check or just uninstall your AVG virus software, it could be on super agressive and blocking all active content. Do not just asume its not causing a problem since it usually works well, AVG has a lot of web "protection" and can fairly easily screw things up.

Try uninstalling IE7. I had a similar issue at work. One of my tech buddies sent me a small file that is an IE7 uninstaller. Don't know where he got it from. But I would think a google search would turn up something.

You can't uninstall IE7 from Vista.

I just realized I run all my Vista machines with UAC disabled. Maybe thats why things work for me.

Back