Now I have done it.....

R1ckCa1n

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, much to my surprise I came home with a 6800 today. I figured it was time to see what all the hoopla was, and had a need for a video card for my new Windows Media Center 2005 PC.

My only complaint is it does not fit in a MSI Neo 2 Platinum without a minor modification. I will post soon with my impressions. Question though, what is the best version of drivers?

10-13-04_1346.jpg

10-13-04_1347.jpg

Yeah, my X800Pro fit perfect in this board, when it was in my main rig. Just interesting I never heard of this problem with the 6800.

61.77 are most stable, 66.81 beta are fastest.

both avail on nvidia's ftp site

as for your mobo, it looks like msi didnt follow spec on first revision of that mobo. iirc the first batch of those msi boards had a problem with the placement of the heatsink as you noted which was corrected in later revisions (which is why it fit fine for above 6800gt owner)

joecuddles said:
Here's a pic of the size of mine

Ironically the height of your backplate would never have fit in the first revision of 865 chipset mobos msi had out last year, for a similar reason rick had (out of spec placement of chip/heatsink).

The Batman said:
Get to softmodding that bitch.
That will be the first thing I try ;)

The Batman said:
Best drivers are relative but I use the 61.82s. They're the latest released though not the latest by numbers.
Thanks... will try them once the new OS loads

tranCendenZ said:
Ironically the height of your backplate would never have fit in the first revision of 865 chipset mobos msi had out last year, for a similar reason rick had (out of spec placement of chip/heatsink).
I think they fixed it by going to an active cooler that didn't require the height of the passive. only thing I can think of, but nothing a dremel couldn't fix.

Actually use the 66.81s. Seems like the 61.82s are crap. Don't even have SM3 enabled.

R1ckCa1n said:
I think they fixed it by going to an active cooler that didn't require the height of the passive. only thing I can think of, but nothing a dremel couldn't fix.

yep you are correct, its now actively cooled in the new revision.

65.77 WHQL are the best IMHO. Too many bugs and poor IQ in the latest beta ones.

The Batman said:
Well? What's the word? Any luck unlocking the extra pipes?
I had one hell of a time making the 6800 work with the ATI HDTV Wonder under Windows Media Center 2005 and didn't even get to try.

I have the latest RIVA tuner installed and will begin the tweaking tonight. One thing for sure is the fan on the 6800 is louder than my CPU fan and must be watercooled (just gives me an excuse).

My first impression is the 6800 2D IQ is on par with what I get with my X800 and that is a good sign.

R1ckCa1n said:
I had one hell of a time making the 6800 work with the ATI HDTV Wonder under Windows Media Center 2005 and didn't even get to try.

I have the latest RIVA tuner installed and will begin the tweaking tonight. One thing for sure is the fan on the 6800 is louder than my CPU fan and must be watercooled (just gives me an excuse).

My first impression is the 6800 2D IQ is on par with what I get with my X800 and that is a good sign.

I'm also one of these people who thinks 2D IQ is equal. I can't tell a bit of difference between my old 9700 pro and 5950.

I would also remove that fan sticker. The are notorious for coming off. One day I opened my case to do some routine cleaning, and the sticker was holding for dear life. It would be a bummer to fry an expensive video card just because the sticker jammed up the fan.

I'd also be interested to see your cpu utilisatiion during one of the WMV HD videos? Seeing as you have both MCE 05 and a probably newish production card could you be obliged to just ran a clip and tell measure your cpu usage as per the video processor thread? i'm just trying to gather as much data as I can for the future.

R1ckCa1n said:
Well, much to my surprise I came home with a 6800 today. I figured it was time to see what all the hoopla was, and had a need for a video card for my new Windows Media Center 2005 PC.

My only complaint is it does not fit in a MSI Neo 2 Platinum without a minor modification. I will post soon with my impressions. Question though, what is the best version of drivers?

Heh reminds me of the problems I had with the Ti4600 and the Epox mainboards. The first revision of the Ti4600's capacitors hit the capacitors on Epox board so people had a real hard time fitting it--and for others the capacitors broke.

Cuddles, is that the Pc75 (black version)? Should throw some WC mojo in there, thats what the big case is for ! :)

Lairans said:
Cuddles, is that the Pc75 (black version)? Should throw some WC mojo in there, thats what the big case is for ! :)

I've got the silver PC75 arriving any minute now + WC all here (just waiting on my airplex grill now). :D

prankmonkey said:
I'd also be interested to see your cpu utilisatiion during one of the WMV HD videos? Seeing as you have both MCE 05 and a probably newish production card could you be obliged to just ran a clip and tell measure your cpu usage as per the video processor thread? i'm just trying to gather as much data as I can for the future.
I will be testing this today, as this is the major reason for purchasing the 6800. I messed with the ATI app some last night and found the HD output extremely clear.

R1ckCa1n said:
How much you willing to pay? ;)

Heh sent you a PM about something and fortunately my grill should be here by next week. :) I just got my lian li pc-75 today, man what a sweet case! Its quite a bit bigger than I thought it would be too.

Well I finally got my dual tuners to work on the machine and started to mess with Rivatuner. I was able to get a 16 x 1 6vs configuration but creates graphical errors while trying to render HDTV broadcasts. Games work, but no HDTV :(

Back