Now Is The Time To Switch Back To Firefox

Zarathustra[H];1040787916 said:
Not sure what it has to do with browsers, but here's my take on how it should ideally be treated.

1.) Remove any reference to the term "marriage" in any federal, state or local law. Replace it with the term union, for all, gay or straight people. If marriage truly is something religious, then the state should have no place governing it. (religious freedom and all...)

2.) The term marriage would be used strictly for the religious ceremony. In the name of religious freedom, each religion/denomination/church can decide for itself whether or not it wants to perform ceremonies with gay people. Marriage would - however - not be a legal thing. To make it legal a government certificate of union (as in #1) would be required.

This solves everyones problems on this issue. We have religious freedom AND equality between gay and straight people, all while keeping government out of our lives just a bit more.

This as well. I would support this completely.

I've been using Firefox since the beginning. I've tried the others at times but nothing has been able to compete with Firefox IMHO. I previously used Opera as a secondary browser but about two years ago chose Internet Explorer instead.

It's great with the competion though. After Chrome entered the arena, things really started to happen. It will be interesting to see what the future will bring too.

I cant live without my firefox addons.
I have no issues with streaming netflix on my Win 7 laptop.

I'd rather support a Browser by a group that supports free speach.
(let the games begin)

Thanks for ruining a potentially interesting thread from the very onset.

You are going to blame the entire FF company/team/workforce for the political actions of one individual?

I love it, because you self-defeat right off the bat by condemning FF.

IF this was a troll, well then bravo sir, it was a lame assed troll but it got the job done.

IF you are serious then well the way you spell "SPEECH" SPEEKS VOLUUMS!!!!

Chrome is buggy as hell (even simple, common sites have major graphical glitches, layout errors and other problems), isn't even as fast as FF any more, and most importantly can NOT 100% reliably block elements that extensions request (such as its versions of NoScript and Adblock).

Care to provide URLs with "major graphical glitches"?

Now regarding "can NOT 100% reliably block elements", it is just plain wrong. I never came across any issue of something not being blocked reliably. I don't mind people arguing their choice of browser, but fabricated "facts" help nobody. You have a source for that one?

I'm surprised just how big of pussies the anti-marriage crowd is. I mean cmon man up and just admit you dont like gay people. Admit that your desire to replace the term "marriage" with "civil union" is just to be a slap in the face to anyone who does not adhere to your standards. It's a proclamation that they are different from everyone else, that they are unique, and were given special treament, that an exception was made for them to have the same rights. It's like saying interracial marriages cant be called marriage, but rather "civil unions", just to serve as a constant reminder that they arent really married, but that you did them a favor and reluctantly gave them the same rights as you. But just dont go around thinking you'll ever really be equal with us, you'll never earn the title marriage with your "civil union". Know your place, right?

I disagree with the guy. Firefox is technologically inferior and is probably the least secure due to its lack of sandboxing. It has fallen behind.

Though I do think an open source browser is important. So we have Chromium and that's probably the best alternative.

A marriage is between a man and a woman. Not because of anything but the fact that kids can only come the intercourse between a man and a woman.

I'm fine with LGBT having all the rights associated to marriage, just call it a civil union, gayrriage, whatever. But no, for some (not really unknown) reason they want to change what is a marriage. It's not about equal rights at all.

Marriage means different things to different people, depending on cultural and religious backgrounds.

For some Marriage may be centered around child rearing, but for others children and marriage have nothing to do with eachother at all.

What the bible does or does not say about marriage is irrelevant. It does not serve as the defining document of marriage. Marriage existed long before the bible, and will continue to exist after it is gone. Marriage exists around the world in different cultures and different religions, and the conventions surrounding it vary greatly. Since we are a nation built on the virtues of religious freedom, we have no business and no right trying to hold the definition of marriage to one very narrow understanding. By allowing gay marriage, no one is changing the definition of anything.

That being said, I still favor the "Unions for all" approach, getting th egovernment out of the business of "marriage" all together, and moving that to the individual religions or associations to handle.

I cant live without my firefox addons.
I have no issues with streaming netflix on my Win 7 laptop.

I'm not suggesting you switch. To each their own, but are you sure they don't exist in Chrome?

Plugin offerings was a real argument in favor of Firefox in the early Chrome days, but it has come a very long way since. I can't think of a single plugin that I've ever used that doesn't either have a Chrome version or a workalike.

More people that do not know what free speech is.... :mad::mad::mad:
I think a civics class should be required before commenting online

Technically the issue is Intellectual Nepotism. But since that nepotism is fall out from punishng someone for supporting a public campain on the side of an issue they disagree with it circle back to free speech in the end.

Remember the days when everything wasn't politicized by Social Justice Warriors? Remember when you could hold a political opinion without a mass of strangers calling for you to lose your job because they disagreed? Remember when issues could be discussed without one side determining that the other side is so inexcusable that they must be silenced?

Thanks, Internet.

Remember the days when everything wasn't politicized by Social Justice Warriors? Remember when you could hold a political opinion without a mass of strangers calling for you to lose your job because they disagreed? Remember when issues could be discussed without one side determining that the other side is so inexcusable that they must be silenced?

Thanks, Internet.

But I thought it was always "Thanks Obama" :confused:

:D:p

On topic: Firefox was nice when it was version 3.x I think, but they made a pretty major overhaul that I didn't really like, plus I think I lost my bookmarks somewhere along the lines so I just started using Chrome and have ever since. It's more convenient to have my bookmarks tied to my account and not have to back them up.

But I thought it was always "Thanks Obama" :confused:

:D:p

On topic: Firefox was nice when it was version 3.x I think, but they made a pretty major overhaul that I didn't really like, plus I think I lost my bookmarks somewhere along the lines so I just started using Chrome and have ever since. It's more convenient to have my bookmarks tied to my account and not have to back them up.

uuummmm...they have online sync now so you won't lose anything. Been using it for a couple years.

Thanks, Internet.

There's a difference between political opinion and outright discrimination. There is justified moral and ethical outrage regarding discrimination, and as such it makes sense that an organization would want to distance themselves from someone like that.

It kills me when people act like this guy was persecuted for having an opinion. He expressed his opinion, then other people expressed THEIR opinions about his opinion, and a decision was made based on the market impact and bad PR. They would have gotten rid of him if he said he was a nazi too. Is that still speech persecution?

It kills me when people act like this guy was persecuted for having an opinion. He expressed his opinion, then other people expressed THEIR opinions about his opinion, and a decision was made based on the market impact and bad PR. They would have gotten rid of him if he said he was a nazi too. Is that still speech persecution?

More like the Internet cry babies finally got their way...that is how I see it even though I didn't agree with his opinions. He was working there all this time in a high profile job but now all the sudden he is the new CEO, which makes him the devil for something he did years ago...freaking cry babies.

How exactly is "we're not going to use Firefox and we think you shouldn't either because the CEO donated to an initiative to restrict peoples' rights" being a crybaby?

I use Pale Moon x64 and Waterfox x64. Only resort to those child-size 32bit browsers, IE and Opera to check html layouts.

How do you guys manage to actually use the internet efficiently with less than 300 tabs open?

Anyways, the important question that no one seems to have asked yet - what browser does the NSA suggest and support? I'm assuming Chrome using lots of Amazon services, but maybe they prefer IE6 for everyone. :D

I've already thrown in my opinion on the browser itself, and I am going to address some stupidity in one post.

(This quote is not the stupidity)
How exactly is "we're not going to use Firefox and we think you shouldn't either because the CEO donated to an initiative to restrict peoples' rights" being a crybaby?

Exactly. Would they say the same about other boycotts? I boycott Chick-Fil-A because the owner is an anti-equality douche. Both that guy and Eich didn't just BELIEVE in anti-equality, he even donated money towards that cause. He donated thousands of dollars solely to deprive others of liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Oh and I've now mentioned my Chick-Fil-A boycott online. Am I a crybaby for standing up for equality? Perhaps to pcjunkie I am, but I accept that.

What happened here was a boycott, and yes, people do talk about boycotts to other people - that's part of boycotting. You can't HAVE an effective boycott if a lot of people don't know about it! Of course, we can still boycott a company as an individual, but if a boycott is to be effective, word must be spread.

He didn't lose his job directly because of his opinion - he lost it exactly for the reason you said - the boycotting by a fair number of users and developers. Causing bad PR that impacts a company in that way would cause ANY company to fire its CEO. H I'm sure fewer of us would be whining if it weren't a company we mostly like.

George Takei on his Facebook page said:
Let me try to clear something up. "Freedom of speech" does not mean you get to say whatever you want without consequences. It simply means the government can't stop you from saying it. It also means OTHERS get to say what THEY think about your words.
So if someone makes an ass of himself, don't cry "freedom of speech" when others condemn him. It only highlights your general ignorance.

I've never stopped using Firefox. For years I've been a major supporter of Free and Open Source software and Mozilla in general, given their ethical bend seeking the use of the open over proprietary, whims of the user over a 3rd party monetization, privacy, and security. Firefox is unique amongst browsers today as it is the only major FOSS, cross-platform, user-focused, extensible, privacy-respecting browser around that is equally accessible and usable to both tech neophytes and gurus.

I've never found any feature in competing browsers (though, I've used my share of smaller FOSS browsers like Midori, if I want to test something rendering with WebKit etc...), that has compelled me to switch from Firefox. Some have accused it of being slow or taking up resources, but this hasn't been my experience; it has been at least as stable as any other browser I've used over the years assuming a similar "burden" of tabs, extensions, plugins etc...often, even more so all things considered! The featureset is amazing especially in light of the fact it is made with privacy and security in mind, not the business model of a company that is often directly in opposition to your best interests in this arena. For instance, consider the Mozilla Sync feature, which has not only a strong set of both legal/license and technical (encryption client side side) benefits if you choose to use the default Mozilla-provided server, but you can also run your own Sync server if you're so inclined with relative ease. Compare this to say, Chrome's sync features which are strongly reliant on the Google account ecosystem, with all the compromises that entails.

I find Firefox to be one of those rare cases where ethics, technical viability, ease/quality of use, and overall performance aligns; where there isn't a large compromise of privacy/security for usability and convenience. It is perhaps one of the best examples of the power of Free and Open Source software written by both community and professional/non-profit developers. Using Firefox isn't just optimizing your own web experience in many cases, but it is a vote for a future Web based on certain principles, that have become increasingly rare and oft-violated in the past decade.

All the political talk aside, this is one of the main reasons I hate Chrome as of late:

Chrome-HorribleFont-Example2.jpg

Font Rendering. Now take that and apply it to the modern style of web-design these days (big words, lots of fonts, etc). It gets ugly fast. It wasn't always like this. There's been a bug open on it for months and months. A fix was "coming" but apparently never came. It's not just the lack of AA being applied, but the fact it also gets scaling and spacing wrong too.

It also seems like Chrome has become bloated. A standard setup for me (with only a few plugins, Evernote + Lastpass) seems to have 10 processes running taking up hundreds of megs. I installed FireFox for the first time in years today just to play with it - so far, I like what they've done with the interface.

As for Android, I used Chrome for a long time. But Dolphin 11 has replaced it. Chrome on Android seems to be a buggy mess with random crashes (closes), and the fact form buttons (like login) stop working if you have multiple tabs open.

Boy you're fighting tooth tooth and nail to spin this. Good Luck.

I've already thrown in my opinion on the browser itself, and I am going to address some stupidity in one post.

(This quote is not the stupidity)

Exactly. Would they say the same about other boycotts? I boycott Chick-Fil-A because the owner is an anti-equality douche. Both that guy and Eich didn't just BELIEVE in anti-equality, he even donated money towards that cause. He donated thousands of dollars solely to deprive others of liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Oh and I've now mentioned my Chick-Fil-A boycott online. Am I a crybaby for standing up for equality? Perhaps to pcjunkie I am, but I accept that.

What happened here was a boycott, and yes, people do talk about boycotts to other people - that's part of boycotting. You can't HAVE an effective boycott if a lot of people don't know about it! Of course, we can still boycott a company as an individual, but if a boycott is to be effective, word must be spread.

He didn't lose his job directly because of his opinion - he lost it exactly for the reason you said - the boycotting by a fair number of users and developers. Causing bad PR that impacts a company in that way would cause ANY company to fire its CEO. H I'm sure fewer of us would be whining if it weren't a company we mostly like.

Boycotting...lol, As far as I know one fairly unknown dating? website asked users not to use it. The rest were liberal cry babies...hech after he resigned there was a petition to reinstate him but obviously they didn't cry about it loud enough like the self righteous liberals.

I'm still using both and won't change that in the near future. Each of them has their advantages for me, but I end up using Chrome the majority of the time. I like having the ability to easily sync open Chrome tabs on my desktop and phone whenever I'm away from the house.

Neither has crashed on me for so long that I can't remember the last crash I had with either, so that doesn't really play a big factor in my decision anymore.

Who cares? Use what you like.

Unfortunately every time I think about Mozilla I have this sick feeling and reminder that some guy lost his job just because of his view. If he'd become CEO five years ago, there's no doubt nothing would've happened. I wish the LGBT movement would just fuck off.

Who cares? Use what you like.

Unfortunately every time I think about Mozilla I have this sick feeling and reminder that some guy lost his job just because of his view. If he'd become CEO five years ago, there's no doubt nothing would've happened. I wish the LGBT movement would just fuck off.

I'm sure the LGBT wishes you would just fuck off. Within the past century the US has heavily discriminated against minority groups including African Americans, Asian Americans, Women, People of Jewish decent, Communists, etc. Looking back on it, its shameful how people were treated because they were not white males. We (the majority viewpoint and legal protections) have come a long way with race, gender, and religious tolerance; but the LGBT community is still heavily discriminated against because they are different. My hope is that 50 years from now we will look back on our actions and feel the same shame we feel towards the other groups now.

People like you will likely never change your opinion and that's perfectly OK. The country has room for you too. I just hope one day a friend or family member that you care about comes out as LGBT. Maybe if it hits closer to home you will realize how ignorant you are and pointless it is to treat someone differently just because they don't have a relationship with who you think they should.

Back on topic. Firefox is good.

Zarathustra[H];1040788558 said:
There's a difference between political opinion and outright discrimination. There is justified moral and ethical outrage regarding discrimination, and as such it makes sense that an organization would want to distance themselves from someone like that.

Your labeling it as discrimination is a very biased, slanted view. The fact of the matter is simple. An arrangement known as marriage has existed for centuries and, even when interracial marriage was in question, has always been gendered. That is, marriage has always been defined as being between opposite genders(I'm not interested in whatever isolated exceptions you wish to link).

Some people want this definition to change. Some do not want this definition to change.

Neither is discriminatory, homophobic, anti-rights, or anything of the sort. They are two opinions on a political issue. Stop trying to make opposition to your opinion out to be some sort of crime against humanity. By doing so, you are engaging in proof by intimidation, which is a very, very dangerous fallacy. It is also incredibly anti-intellectual.

Your labeling it as discrimination is a very biased, slanted view. The fact of the matter is simple. An arrangement known as marriage has existed for centuries and, even when interracial marriage was in question, has always been gendered. That is, marriage has always been defined as being between opposite genders(I'm not interested in whatever isolated exceptions you wish to link).

Some people want this definition to change. Some do not want this definition to change.

Neither is discriminatory, homophobic, anti-rights, or anything of the sort. They are two opinions on a political issue. Stop trying to make opposition to your opinion out to be some sort of crime against humanity. By doing so, you are engaging in proof by intimidation, which is a very, very dangerous fallacy. It is also incredibly anti-intellectual.

You not realizing that it is discrimination makes you look anti-intellectual. Any time a large group of people is denied the same rights as another large group of people its discrimination. Someone being denied the legal rights and protections that a married couple is allowed because they do not wish to marry who you think they should is 100% discrimination. You can call it what you want to and don't think for a second that people didn't make the same arguments during the civil rights and women's suffrage movements. At one time giving a non-white person the same rights as a white person was a matter of political opinion too. It's a dangerous fallacy to think otherwise.

Agree. Well said.

I tried it and was gonna dump it again because it looked like you were still stuck with Ask as your default search engine. A couple versions back you couldnt change this so I stuck with Chrome. Did a couple searches hoping somebody had figured out a fix and found one so I can use it now. As silly as that may seem, I do a million searches in the URL bar and not being able to use Google or at least Bing is a deal breaker for me.

If anybody else wants to know, this was the fix:

Hey, here is really easy and simple way to change your default search engine in your URL bar. Open a new tab and go to about:Config. Search for browser.search.defaultenginename. Once you right-clicked on it, you can move your mouse over to 'new' and click on 'string'. It will now ask for a name. Just type in the name of your search engine It will then ask for the string value. You will only have to enter your search engine's link. It should normally appear under the 'value' column, and it should work all fine, but if it doesn't, you have to right click on browser.search.defaultenginename again and select 'modify', and then enter your freshly made search engine's name. For example, if you would want to use Google as your URL bar search engine, you choose 'Google' as a name, and 'www.google.com' as string value.

Yeah I was gonna boycott over the shitty thing they did to their CEO but fuck it.

Any time a large group of people is denied the same rights as another large group of people its discrimination.

He said, while explaining that one large group of people deserves to be harassed, ridiculed, scorned, and otherwise hounded for having a different belief than another large group of people.

It's ok to discriminate against people who are evil and wrong. If they're sufficiently evil and wrong, their friends, families, employers, employees, and products are also fair targets.

I tried it and was gonna dump it again because it looked like you were still stuck with Ask as your default search engine. A couple versions back you couldnt change this so I stuck with Chrome. Did a couple searches hoping somebody had figured out a fix and found one so I can use it now. As silly as that may seem, I do a million searches in the URL bar and not being able to use Google or at least Bing is a deal breaker for me.

If anybody else wants to know, this was the fix:

Yeah I was gonna boycott over the shitty thing they did to their CEO but fuck it.

Just to let you know, there's an even easier way to do what you seek. Of course, you can also install just about any search engine you like to the Search Bar itself, but if you want to work directly from the URL/Superbar etc...

https://disconnect.me/search

Disconnect Search allows you to search from multiple places (URL bar etc..), while giving you the option to anonymize your search and use a variety of search engines. DuckDuckGo's Firefox addon also allows a similar option, as well as a few other addons out there, but Disconnect Search is a good way to be able to search from the URL bar easily, anonymously, and using many different search engines, without having to go to about:config if you're not into setting up kit yourself.

While you're at it, Disconnect (separate from Disconnect Search, another addon) is a nice tool alongside the likes of AdBlock Plus, NoScript, HTTPS Everywhere etc.. and the like, to safeguard your privacy and limit data mining/tracking, while being able to easily enable/whitelist when you wish.

He said, while explaining that one large group of people deserves to be harassed, ridiculed, scorned, and otherwise hounded for having a different belief than another large group of people.

Says the person that's one of the worst discriminators around here by calling a person that he's never met the lowest for of person. Not that I care so much what a person says hides his identity, it's just friendly debate. I just like to point it out when one writes a check with a keyboard that their ass could never cash.

Liberal intolerance aside I still use FF. I do use Chrome in the background for certain Google apps such as Drive for example.

Back