NPD Sales for October

Jerome36

2[H]4U
Things are back to normal, with the Wii taking back the top spot, in hardware sales, but the 360 dominated the software charts. Xbox 360 software revenue at retail surpassed that of Wii and PS3 combined:

Hardware
Nintendo Wii - 519,000
Nintendo DS - 458,000
Microsoft Xbox 360 - 366,000
Sony PSP - 286,000
Sony Playstation 2 - 184,000
Sony Playstation 3 - 121,000

Software
Halo 3 (regular, collector's, and legendary versions) - Xbox 360 - 434,000
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (with guitar) - Xbox 360 - 383,000
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (with guitar) - Wii - 286,000
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (with guitar) - PS2 - 271,000
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - DS - 263,000
Wii Play with Wii Remote - Wii - 240,000
The Orange Box - Xbox 360 - 238,000
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - PS2 - 232,000
FIFA Soccer 08 - PS2 - 130,000
Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day - DS - 117,000

PS2 is still fighting strong in sales.

Hardware
Nintendo Wii - 519,000
Nintendo DS - 458,000
Microsoft Xbox 360 - 366,000
Sony PSP - 286,000
Sony Playstation 2 - 184,000
Sony Playstation 3 - 121,000

Software
Halo 3 (regular, collector's, and legendary versions) - Xbox 360 - 434,000
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (with guitar) - Xbox 360 - 383,000
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (with guitar) - Wii - 286,000
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (with guitar) - PS2 - 271,000
Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - DS - 263,000
Wii Play with Wii Remote - Wii - 240,000
The Orange Box--Xbox 360 - 238,000
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - PS2 - 232,000
FIFA Soccer 08 - PS2 - 130,000
Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day - DS - 117,000

Few factors to be considered for the Japan number. It's a price cut, a new model, a new colour and a anticipated game all in one week.

On topic. Wii is a monster... it munches on everything around it.

It's surprising that the PS3 verision of GHIII couldn't get in the top 10, if it could have sold half of what the PS2 with guitar did, it would have been 135,500 and enough to be ahead of Fifa.

It's surprising that the PS3 verision of GHIII couldn't get in the top 10, if it could have sold half of what the PS2 with guitar did, it would have been 135,500 and enough to be ahead of Fifa.

It's also sad that Racket & Clank didnt make the top 10 software sales chart. I enjoyed the game because so few good platform/action games are made these days. But I guess they dont sell unless your mario or zelda. Kameo didnt sell well either and I enjoyed that game a lot. Its a shame, but I guess gamers just want to shoot stuff and do little to no thinking/puzzles.

So Guitar Hero III sold better on the PS2 than any other platform?? Damn!

Xbox 360 - 383,000
Wii - 286,000
PS2 - 271,000 + 232,000 w/o Guitar = 503,000

Damn:) Guess people were smart to realize they could use their old controller:p haha

So Guitar Hero III sold better on the PS2 than any other platform?? Damn!

Xbox 360 - 383,000
Wii - 286,000
PS2 - 271,000 + 232,000 w/o Guitar = 503,000

Damn:) Guess people were smart to realize they could use their old controller:p haha
Just for ref, the 360 sales including the w/o guitar were 490k. Close, but the old PS2 beat it.

Jesus, i still cant beleive how well the ps2 is STILL doing! I ditched the ps2 years ago!

Jesus, i still cant beleive how well the ps2 is STILL doing! I ditched the ps2 years ago!

I don't see why it's so hard to believe, it's *still* the best Sony console on the market. Cheap hardware, shit tons of good games (even if 80% of the library is pure trash, which it is, the library is so huge that the 20% of good to great games is a fuckton of software, most of it on the cheap used!)

I do have to say though that I'm sort of shocked that the PS3 version of GH3 is doing so badly. I guess it makes sense, though, given the lack of installed base. Heh.

The PS3 is continuing the trend of shovelware that the PS2 start, only it doesn't have the sheer volume of games the PS2 has, so it fails.

The PS3 is continuing the trend of shovelware that the PS2 start, only it doesn't have the sheer volume of games the PS2 has, so it fails.

I think you're mistaken. The PS3 is getting some good software, just that nobody is buying it. It's the Wii that's gonna get all the shovelware this generation.

The 40gb ps3s are selling like crazy i hear.I want to see nOVEMBERS.
Sony claims as much. Then again, there was also some talk that the discontinued 60gb model was what was selling so much.

Sony claims as much. Then again, there was also some talk that the discontinued 60gb model was what was selling so much.
The problem is that if Sony pull 100k a week in November they'll still be a long way short of what MS and Nintendo do. (for comparison the 360 did 500k + last year). But yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how much the price drop / new sku turns things around.

The Wii is still the only system to be out of stock. (at least in my area) I wonder when and if Nintendo decides to meet the demand. I heard a woman flip out at a Target guy for not having Wii's in stock when they had it in their Sunday Add. (it sold out)

I personally think alot of this "demand" for the Wii is artificial. They keep it in short supply so they sell more imho. 5-6 months i can see a demand for, but a year+? Good business sense, but bad for the customers for an average console. Just my opinion tho.

I personally think alot of this "demand" for the Wii is artificial. They keep it in short supply so they sell more imho. 5-6 months i can see a demand for, but a year+? Good business sense, but bad for the customers for an average console. Just my opinion tho.

Explain how constraining supply will sell more, this doesn't make economic sense to me at least. They aren't meeting demand because it wouldn't make sense too due to increasing production costs.

I think they could easily meet demand, like people said, why do that if they can make the units cost less to make over time making even more profit than they already are.

I think I would be more tempted to buy something if there was 1-3 left on the shelf vs seeing a mountain of them in the front of the store. If theres tons of them all the time, people can always say "ah, I'll come back later"... but if theres always 1-3 left, people might rush to get one in fear of having to wait or not finding one at all.

I think I would be more tempted to buy something if there was 1-3 left on the shelf vs seeing a mountain of them in the front of the store. If theres tons of them all the time, people can always say "ah, I'll come back later"... but if theres always 1-3 left, people might rush to get one in fear of having to wait or not finding one at all.

I understand what you mean, but I doubt many people walk in a store intent on buying a PoS3 and walk out with the last Wii instead unless it was on their list as well. The Wii is in demand after a year because it's not touted as a hardcore gaming platform or a multimedia entertainment center. The target audience is casual gamers and families, a lot of the software promotes group play, and the price is lower than anything else on the market (although the stripped down Xbox360 Arcade comes close now). My late 50s Mother-in-law is asking for one for Christmas, so I think they're hitting their mark.

How long does the Wii need to have strong sales before people stop offering explanations like short supply, initial hype wave, etc.? I would think after a year of strong sales, those explanations have to be ignored for something else.

How long does the Wii need to have strong sales before people stop offering explanations like short supply, initial hype wave, etc.? I would think after a year of strong sales, those explanations have to be ignored for something else.
The Dreamcast had a good first year, too. Make it to two years of those crazy sales, and we'll talk.

Just find it interesting, how other places have pointed out, about the attach rates per console. The wii is demolishing everyone in console sales, but software is not that great of a percentage of machines being sold or out in the market. Maybe that will change with Mario Galaxy.

Just looking at my local target I noticed they were reducing the Xbox 360 selection so both Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 would have the same space in the aisle. What I find interesting is that both the PS3 and Wii games are always fully stocked where as the Xbox 360 is selling out of the titles they had, or are missing many titles that are very popular just due to lack of space. Wonder if this strategy will pay off.

Makes me wonder how Mario Kart (which being a former nintendo owner I would imagine would be a hot item) will fair compared to the Halo 3 release where even grocery stores were carrying it. If every wii owner were to buy that on release, which I would imagine, that will be one hard to find title.

Makes me wonder how Mario Kart (which being a former nintendo owner I would imagine would be a hot item) will fair compared to the Halo 3 release where even grocery stores were carrying it. If every wii owner were to buy that on release, which I would imagine, that will be one hard to find title.
The game to watch is Super Mario Galaxy, IMHO. By any measure, it is a game that ought to be selling insanely well.

The Dreamcast had a good first year, too. Make it to two years of those crazy sales, and we'll talk.

The Dreamcast didn't have any direct competition for quite some time. Nintendo Wii came out as a late comer, and against 2 superior machines hardware wise. Dreamcast also didn't fail, Sega pulled the plug due to its past failures like the Saturn being too much of a mountain to climb over.

Even though the PS3 is still holding strongly to that third spot in the next gen sales. I feel the PS3 has finally been taken, some what, serious recently and people are finally starting to open up to it. My friend has owned one since the 60gb (makes it sound old), and we both enjoy playing on it a lot. Also he is starting to feel good about is purchase with some recent game releases (even though not exclusive some) he gets to enjoy them and knows the console may still do well, maybe not number one but well.

Something like 2/3 of people still don't have a HDTV. Why get a next generation console if you don't have a next generation TV?

Something like 2/3 of people still don't have a HDTV. Why get a next generation console if you don't have a next generation TV?
That's kind of idiotic. A co-worker of mine had the exact same sentiment, but when he actually bought a 360, he told me the difference was as clear as day. Which, you know, makes sense - it's not like there are fewer polygons or shaders being used just because you're running at a lower resolution.

Uh, its the Wii that has the most crappy games. MS and Sony at least have a say in what gets published. There are far more crappy Wii games percentage wise than the 360 or PS3 have.

Explain how constraining supply will sell more, this doesn't make economic sense to me at least. They aren't meeting demand because it wouldn't make sense too due to increasing production costs.

To a clueless parent looking to get a console for their kid, all they're going to hear on the news and in the adds is the Wii being hard to find due to "demand" (and cheaper price). When someone hears that the console flies off the shelves, whereas the 360 and PS3 sit there, the Wii looks like the better console and Nintendo gets the sale.

To a clueless parent looking to get a console for their kid, all they're going to hear on the news and in the adds is the Wii being hard to find due to "demand" (and cheaper price). When someone hears that the console flies off the shelves, whereas the 360 and PS3 sit there, the Wii looks like the better console and Nintendo gets the sale.
I have to agree that this plays a part of the sales, including the lower price obviously. I have heard from a few friends that had no motive to buy a wii, but when they saw a few that "just" arrived they picked one up after hearing from the media about the shortage. However, these are the same people trying to sell them 2 months later or they are just sitting there.
Even this morning I heard on the radio about black friday specials and how the DJ's were mentioning the "wii" as being the hot gift. Free advertising for Nintendo and this is not the first time I have heard it on TV/Radio/Internet about the hot wii. Even my parents ask if I still play games, and if I have a wii. They are not computer savy, or gaming types at all, and when I mention xbox 360 they give me a blank stare as I mentioned something foreign.
Reminds me how every console release debuts with minimal supply vs huge demand. Prices skyrocket (ebay) until the supply > demand. A good example was when the PS3 debuted. People hear it on the radio and even non-gamers were talking about the PS3 when it debuted last year (I was with my wife in the delivery room hearing doctors, nurses, TV, Radio, and visitors talking about the PS3). Makes me wonder how the PS3 would have done if they kept demand below supply and kept the hype machine going. Obviously the price cannot match the same demographic as the WII.

Here are my observations on the whole subject. Now keep in mind, these are my own observations and no one else’s and they are based on my own experience with both the Wii and 360. I haven't had the pleasure of owning a PS3 yet, so I will keep those comments to a minimum and based on what actually is generally accepted as the truth at this point.

A. Nintendo Wii

Pros: Great console, great for kids and parents to share some time together. Good price point and good first party titles coming in the future (some already available). Virtual console is a stroke of genius on Nintendo’s part so that new gamers can play the ones we all grew up on. Unique gameplay and control scheme. Built in Wi-Fi. Backwards compatibility of Gamecube games. DS linkable.

Cons: Lack of hardcore gaming titles besides the big 3. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, are all rehashes of characters we have seen before. The whole reason most people buy next gen is to try something new (think of when Sonic was introduced to the world via the Genesis and Mario all the sudden looked kind of sedate). Once you get past the controls, nothing is really all that new. Online mode is seriously lacking. No hard drive. Slow to adopt 3rd party developers. Overall graphics not nearly as good as 360 or PS3. Since it is marketed as a casual gamers machine, I’m afraid developers may interpret this to mean they do need to try and develop hard core gamers’ games. No DVD player. Expensive to outfit with extra Wiimotes and Nunchuks, Classic Controllers, etc. Not HD and no HDMI. Eventually, shortages in consoles will affect potential buyers who may opt for a 360 or PS3.

B. Microsoft Xbox360

Pros: Large and very large hard drives. Number of games. Vast online community and premium service. Downloadable demos. Microsoft Arcade. Numerous “must haves” in terms of games. Cheap budget games that are still great games today. Backwards compatibility with original Xbox. Built in DVD player with HD DVD optional and available as a reasonably priced add on. Cheaper than PS3. HDMI port on the newer versions. True Next-Gen graphics.

Cons: RROD obviously. Initial costs compared to Wii. Xbox Live is not free (not saying it should be either, just stating the obvious and what some perceive to be a hindrance). No built in Wi-Fi and adapter first party solution is very expensive. Not all original Xbox games compatible.

C. Sony PS3

Pros: Blu-Ray player. Hard drive. Large amount of 3rd party developers. Theoretically, the most powerful system.

Cons: Blu-Ray still has yet to be crowned winner of the DVD format war. Expensive. Not all of them will play PS2 titles. No real must haves for me at this point and not enough in the near future.

Keep in mind, these are my own observations and not any experts and I am certainly not claiming to be one either.

For me, I ended up with a 360. Initially before the 360, I had a Wii. I never considered the PS3 as an option as I have been burned before by trying to adopt a new technology (Blu-ray) so soon after its release when it’s fate hasn’t been decided yet (been burned by Minidisc and Betamax, don't laugh). Also, IMO, the PS3 at this point, is just a Blu-Ray player that also happens to be able to play some games. No titles available for it at this point, appeal to me enough to warrant purchasing the console for that reason alone and as stated above, I still don’t know if Blu-Ray or HD DVD will win.

I thought to myself, hey, I am a 30 year old who has a wife, a job and a 1.5 year old son. What time I do have to game, I want something I can just turn on and play. I believed the hype of the Wii as a casual gamers’ console so I bought one. By the time I bought an extra controller set, classic controller, points, and a memory card for the GC so I could play those games, I had over $400 invested in the console alone before any games were added. After the initial fun of the Wii wore off and I was tired of Wii Sports, I looked around at the available games and just didn’t see anything currently available or in the future available that excited me all that much. For me at least, Zelda, Metroid and Super Mario were all great games on the original NES because they were a new idea and different. The same three available on the Wii, IMO, weren’t anything to get all that excited about (except for Mario) as in the end, it was the characters I had seen before. Also, what I finally realized, is that while I may only have the available time of a casual gamer, since I grew up playing games, I was in fact a hardcore gamer that didn’t have a whole lot of time. I was in a fix. So what did I do? Being as how I liked the original Xbox so much, and the Live service, I sold my Wii to get a 360. I didn’t want both at the same time because I know what would have happened (one gets played, the other catches dust and becomes an expensive home decoration). I just realized that in the end, I will find the time even if that means late nights (which it usually does). Also, in my mind, I tried to convince myself that graphics didn’t matter as Nintendo has told us to do but I could never get around the fact that when I played my Wii, I always felt I was playing my original Xbox or PS2. Nothing blew me away.

Conclusion: The 360 is for hardcore fans and people that want to be able to play online together. The PS3 is hoping to ride the coattails of the fact that the PS2 was the last generation winner and hoping it can keep the momentum going. It has a long way to catch up. The Wii is harder to predict. If enough people come to the same realization that I did, then their sales may slow way down. Not to mention, people eventually are going to get fed up with the Wii always being out of stock and may settle on a 360 or PS3. Also, if 3rd party developers don’t hurry up, Wii's 1st party titles will only carry them so far.

In the end, it’s a great time to be a gamer as we have three companies competing against each other and competition only bodes well for us gamers.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Flamesuit on and ready.

Some people still feel like they should flame despite the fact that my post was opinion. I got eaten alive by the other posters on IGN when I posted to a thread with the same opinions as this one. Kind of why I stopped posting there to begin with as well as the fact their website sucks.

Wii seems to get the most shovelware. Sure their 1st party games kick ass, but everything else sucks. All my friends that own Wii's haven't touched them at all untill SMG... and I personally don't think that its all that good. But what ever you people enjoy, more power to you.

Back