NT06-E?

Dez Perado

Weaksauce
Received my $1400 in parts from Newegg today to build my SG01-F, E8600, GTX 260 system, and....

The freekin' idiots at Silverstone included the WRONG MOUNTING SCREWs with the NT06-E heatsink! They are 1" long, pointed-tip sheet metal screws with the wrong thread that will not screw into the included standoffs and spring-loaded thumbscrews.

So I can't do shit!

How fucking stupid is that?

So I spent the afternoon tearing the house apart and driving around the city trying to find a suitable replacement. No luck.

I have a good mind to send the whole steaming pile of shit back to Newegg and take up golf or something.

Disgusted.

Get them on the phone, explain the situation, and have them you send the proper parts. :cool:

I emailed Silverstone once it took them a day to respond to my initial e-mail (I believe they are in Korea so it's not a big surprise) but they were sure to respond to every single e-mail I sent them.

Whoever I got on the e-mail (beyond the first person... they didn't know anything but that's normal practice in my experience) was knowledgeable and helpful. Give it a little time. These things happen.

Yeah, they have offices in LA. The email address lowteckh posted right above this post, is the correct email address for US customers to use.

SilverStone wasn't even aware that the NT06E DOES NOT FIT in the SG03. I got a NT06E and tried it in my SG03, but it sat higher than the "lips" that the power supply sits on. I told this to SilverStone and they didn't seem to be aware that this was the case. The agent I've been in contact with said he would forward this "new information" to their product managers.

That's peculiar, but good to know. I was kinda hoping to upgrade to it. I got 800rpm fans for the front of the case which raised the temps a little, I was hoping to lower that back down some while keeping it as silent as it is.

Yeah, they have offices in LA. The email address lowteckh posted right above this post, is the correct email address for US customers to use.

SilverStone wasn't even aware that the NT06E DOES NOT FIT in the SG03. I got a NT06E and tried it in my SG03, but it sat higher than the "lips" that the power supply sits on. I told this to SilverStone and they didn't seem to be aware that this was the case. The agent I've been in contact with said he would forward this "new information" to their product managers.

This depends on the motherboard layout, does it not?

Thanks, guys!

I'm just really aggravated because I have four days off and was really looking forward to putting this shit together. Now, because of a Silverstone f**k up with some 2 cent screws I don't know when I'll get it done.

I wonder how many hundreds (or thousands) of these units have been packed with the wrong screws.

I don't think so. Don't all motherboards sit at the same height and aren't the motherboard standoffs standard heights so things like PCI / video cards fit properly in the case's expansion slots?

I'm talking about height here, not the layout of the motherboard. With any mATX motherboard you use in the Sugo cases, the NT06E will be too tall to sit under the PSU.

If you're familiar with SilverStone's setup, you know that their NT06 heatsinks are supposed to sit directly beneath the PSU fan.

I don't think so. Don't all motherboards sit at the same height and aren't the motherboard standoffs standard heights so things like PCI / video cards fit properly in the case's expansion slots?

I'm talking about height here, not the layout of the motherboard. With any mATX motherboard you use in the Sugo cases, the NT06E will be too tall to sit under the PSU.

If you're familiar with SilverStone's setup, you know that their NT06 heatsinks are supposed to sit directly beneath the PSU fan.

I understand- and yeah, I'm familiar with the SG03 setup. Wasn't aware that height caused issues, that really sucks.
Motherboards sometimes also have the cpu socket offset by some distance- the difference is visible when comparing the popular Asus board and the new DFI. I was referring to the NT06 not lining up underneath.

No, no fan at all. Of course not. Anyone would know it wouldn't fit with a fan on top of it. Just the NT06E on top of my Q6600 w/ Arctic Cooling MX2, all on top of my motherboard. I even tried it w/o the black shroud, but that really didn't help as the shroud adds less than one mm to the height of the NT06E.

The people at SilverStone even changed the max heatsink height on the SG03's page to match the height of the NT06E w/o testing the combination. Oh and notice in the picture of that page you linked to, the heatsink inside the Sugo is a NT06 / NT06 Lite not a NT06E.

I'm just interested if this cools well or not (and when o/ced). Thinking of making a switch of HSF and this one popped up.

TT Lanbox lite, PSU right above CPU like the SG01 and 02 so should be the same. Also has 2 60mm exhaust for the CPU

SilverStone wasn't even aware that the NT06E DOES NOT FIT in the SG03. I got a NT06E and tried it in my SG03, but it sat higher than the "lips" that the power supply sits on. I told this to SilverStone and they didn't seem to be aware that this was the case.

LIES!

I'm posting this reply from a rig that sports an SG03 and NT06E heatsink.

It fits perfectly and it a beautiful thing to behold.

Perhaps the 'lip' of your SG03 is slightly bent downward or perhaps your NT06E is slightly bent upward. Either scenario is fixable.

To be clear:

An NT06-E DOES FIT IN A SG03!

Pitty about the 4 screws you're missing tho. That blows. Mine came with the ones you described in addition to the right ones for the 775 mount. I assumed the silver sharp tipped set was for the AMD bracket.

Anyway, NT06 E + SG03 FTW!

Hmmm... I'm telling you right now that the NT06E that I bought did not fit my SG03. If you want, I can forward the emails to you that I had w/ SilverStone.

Those "lips" were not bent. I looked at everything that could have been causing the NT06E to not fit. When did you buy your SG03?

Edit:
I got my SG03 almost a year ago. My SG03's box says it's a v1.0 unit. The new stock I've seen at Fry's says v2.0. What does your box say?

How much space is there now b/w your PSU and your NT06E?

Ah, that's an interesting detail.

My SG03 is quite new, about a month or two.

It's interesting that prior to the NT0E6's release the CPU height restriction on the SUGO series was that CPU cooler could not exceed 78mm.

Since the NT06E it's now stated as 82mm.

However, every SUGO (not just the SG03) now says 82mm where they used to say 78mm.

As for how much space between my PSU and NT06E. . hm. . less than a mil, could maybe slide some paper between them. . . maybe. . . it's a perfect fit.

Just checked my box, yep it's V2.0.

Hmm, quite a conundrum you face. This is my favorite case ever. I retired a P180 Mini (which is an insane case also) for this SG03 and i'll never look back.

Bummer dude, i feel for ya.

Getting a new SG03 or perhaps an NT06 Lite an option for you?

How about Zalman or Thermaltake Orb style coolers?

Ah just noticed your siggy: We're running a pretty similar rig.

I'm on a P5E VM HDMI (@ 500 FSB!), e6850 @ 3.5 ghz (7 x 500), 4 Gigs Dominator @ 1000 mhz (1:1), Corsair HX 620 Watt, NT06-E, Pair of Noctua P12 Fans, and due this week a HD 4870 and a Velociraptor (i'm currently running a 4850 and dual WD 80's in RAID 0).

It's fucking awesome.

I'm currently using a NT06-Lite. I've looked at the Zalman flower type heatsinks, but their fans suck air downwards towards the CPU while the PSU fan sucks air away from the CPU. I think they would cancel each other out and the CPU would start roasting.

I've tried various slot coolers in the SG03's slot at the very top and though they do help cool things down a little (by sucking hot air out of the case), I can't find any slot cooler that has a fan larger than 80mm that fits in that slot. I could cut a hole on the top of the case and have a vent (like the Mini P180), but I'm really picky about aesthetics and I'm not sure if I could cut a clean, centered hole for the fan + the holes for the fan screws.

The Mini P180 is a pretty new case (newer than the SG03). Is there a certain reason you moved to the SG03 from the Mini P180? I'm planning on getting a white Mini P180 + a Zalman CNPS 9700NT which is a pretty massive heatsink that does get good reviews. I really like the cable management system and separate PSU chamber in the Mini P180. Too bad they didn't put a window on the Mini P180's side panel.

The SG03 is a nightmare when it comes to trying to hide wires / route them cleanly.

Oh man, you're talking my language.

You're not female are you?

Bummer. .

Anyway, The reason i moved from a P180 Mini to an SG03 is because when i made the transition to mATX i certainly didn't make the transition to SFF.

A P180 Mini is larger than most ATX Mid Towers (certainly much wider).

Now the P180 Mini is tough. And cable management is painless and supremely effective (i so should have taken pics before i did the recent transplant - my rig looked like an open hood money shot from a Hot 4's magazine).

But i wanted something small. Something elegant. Something funky and something rare (in the Australian market an SG03 is almost unknown). I didn't really want a Shuttle style shoebox SFF and although they're very sexy, i didn't want an NZXT Rogue or Qmicra either so when i discovered the SG03 i fell in love.

As for cable routing, I blush to say it but wow, i had already taken it in stride that when i pulled the sleeve off my SG03 it would be ugly. . it's an 'exterior sex' case i told myself, not an 'interior sex' case (like the P180 mini). But i have managed to create the cleanest SG03 build i've seen anywhere, in flesh or online. I mean it's nothing compared to my P180 build, or numerous other enviable builds here at [H] and elsewhere admittedly, but for an SG03 - aw yea!

Just gotta finalise the build with some new hardware and finish my sublte mods.

Pics then, not before!

:)

[Edit]

Concerning the Orb style cooler you said this,

I'm currently using a NT06-Lite. I've looked at the Zalman flower type heatsinks, but their fans suck air downwards towards the CPU while the PSU fan sucks air away from the CPU. I think they would cancel each other out and the CPU would start roasting.

Just turn the PSU around so it sucks in cool air through the mesh window, then there's no competition with the CPu at all.

It's an option anyway.

Oh right, I forgot about the PSU positioning. Thanks for bringing that up.

Just opened up my SG03 and found that there's plenty of space behind the DVD burner for a 120mm fan. I'm going to make an attempt at cutting a 120mm fan hole at the top of my SG03. I just need to use a standard CD as a guide.

I hope the SG03 is as easy to cut into with a dremel as my old Shuttle was.

Being thin aluminium i'd think about using a hole saw.

Finding a 120mm hole saw proved difficult for me, but a 111mm is quite common.

You can use the cheap 'for wood and plastic ones' on aluminium as thin as a SG03 but make sure you don't slip as a hole saw is. . . unforgiving.

Much cleaner hole if done with care and the 'doing it with care' bit isn't as difficult as the 'doing it with care' bit with a dremel. But 'do it with care', all the same.

Investigate the beauty of the hole saw, but if you decide to go that way, do it from the underside - the finish on the SG03 is too good to risk.

:)

I've considered using a hole saw, but got scared after reading all the warnings about slippage. They're also pretty expensive and I already have a dremel + cutting wheels.

I'm getting ready to do it already. I've covered the top with blue painters tape and traced a CD in the spot I want the fan. I'll see if it's more difficult to cut the hole from inside (underside of the top of the case).

Oh and sorry for hijacking your thread Dez Perado. ;)

If you're confident and experienced and it seems you are then go for it.

I've decided against a blow hole opting for a handle instead.

Temps in my case are fine really. I expected much more of a hit by cramming all my shit into this lil beastie.

36 - 40 degrees idle with my obscene overclock is great.

NB heatsink is damn hot tho (2000 effective FSB kinda cooks it rofl). I'd like to replace it but don't know of one that would do a better job but be small enough to avoid the PSU or NT06E.

Anyone know of any?

I was thinking about cutting the top of my SG03 as well, since I went with the 800rpm fans (which are extremely quiet) I have had an issue with heat getting up there again, but I couldn't stand the noise of the louder Xigamatik fans I did have, although they moved more than plenty air. We'll see, I suppose

I have a Corsair HX520w psu in my SG03 and there's definately room to cut a blow hole and add a 120mm fan up on top on the back half of the top of the SG03 case. I havent done such a mod but I'm thinking it would move hot air better than a rear slot cooler and do it much quieter. :)

Yeah especially now that I am heavily considering upgrading to the 9800GX2 (with the recent price drops) so I would have to upgrade my cooling somewhat.

The problem is that I would want to have the mesh like what is on the front as the grill on the top, I have not been able to locate some or figure out how to make it look OEM (which is how I'd want it done, if it were done)

Performance-PCs carries modder's mesh for this type of mod. My plan is to simply trace a CD in the spot I want the blowhole, then just cut that and put a 120mm fan grill over it.

PerformancePCs will also do the mod if you so desire.

I could probably do it myself, get a hole saw that's a bit smaller, then just widen it using a file or something like that. Not sure what I'd use to repaint the edge though.

This stuff would be perfect:

St_Filter_80_Bk_t_01_LRG.jpg

I'd rather not use a hole saw. I don't want to buy any extra tools when my Dremel will do it just fine. Is that a 120mm fan? What case is that mod done on? Also, what type of screws are those?

Not sure it's just a stock photo on performance-pcs. I bought the 120mm one, I am thinking that may be smaller as the screws look large by comparison. That installation would be pretty slick though, with the bolts like that, I imagine you just use nuts down inside the case where the fan is to tighten it all up. Pain in the ass I'm sure, but it's a clean look.

I'm still considering how I am going to mount it all in place. I did have a dremel but it got burned out.

Back