NT06 Lite vs. CNPS7700/8000

Zok

Limp Gawd
With the latest Intel price cuts, I am about to pull the trigger on my new SFF. Only, I am waiting for the SG03 to be released. However, with the similarities between the SG01E and SG03, in terms of cooling operation, I think my question can be answered:

I am worried about the cooling performance of the ST50EF-PLUS Short Cable Edition / NT06 Lite combo. Would a CNPS7700 or 8000 do a better job of cooling? I know these suckers move a lot of air and are relatively silent. If I were to use one of these HSFs, I would certainly be facing the PSU outwards, towards the side grill of the SG03, instead of inwards, like the NT06 lite combo. I know the "Will it fit?" FAQ lists the 7700 as incompatible with the SG01, but I have seen reports of people using it with the SG01E. So, I assume it will fit, without modding or with minimal modding. Anyone care to clarify?

I have heard excellent reports of the NT06 Lite combo, but they have been mostly subjective and speculative. I don't have first hand experience with the Silverstone PSU, but, in my experience, a PSU doesn't generally move a whole lot of air. Certainly not enough to cool itself AND the heatsink of a processor. Which worries me about the cooling abilities of the NT06 lite.

Anyone care to shed some light on which way I should go with this?

On a side note, I am planning on using the abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD motherboard. So, if either of the aforementioned HSFs are incompatible, please let me know, as it will make my decision much easier.

The Silverstone All-Around combo can't be beat, It's amazing. It's literally engineered to work that way...

I have the NT06 on the SG-01e and so I can only comment on that. The match to the power supply is very impressive. The giant flat heat sink of the NT06 mates perfectly to the 120mm PSU fan; such a beautiful looking fit. Of course this means the power supply is running on heated air from the CPU. My understanding is power supplies are less efficient at higher temperatures so perhaps best to get a bigger power supply than you otherwise would.

NT06 Lite !
I have e6400 in sg01e - 35-40 idle, 45-50 stress...
Today I purchased e6700, will se how it works...
I'm thinking OC cpu, but need abit mobo first.. then maybe bt06 will be not enough.. zalman cooler, or blue orb II...

Would someone please measure the distance from the center mounting studs/bolts on the base, to the outer-most distance of the heatsink tubes where they bend. I need to know if I can use this HS in my case on my board. I think a good way of doing this if you have one out of the case (maybe not likely:( ), is to put the heatsink flat on it's base, so that the pipes are flush against a wall, and measuring from the wall to the centerline of the heatsink.

Maybe that's asking too much. But I have to ask if someone can give a very precise measure of this clearance. Because that's exactly what I am facing in my case with my board.

Thank you!

Back