Ntune and Vista?

oneils

Limp Gawd
Hi, I found out that you can no longer monitor your nvidia card's temperature in Vista without ntune installed.

I have a 8800GTS (640mb) with an asus p5b-e (p965 chipset). I noticed that ntune's guide says that ntune will support temperature monitoring for video cards on non-nforce boards.

So I installed ntune, and I got a bunch of error boxes (some of them were empty) that said I needed an adminstrator account, when I tried to access the nvidia control panel. I'd have to x out of them to proceed to the control panel.

I ended up uninstalling ntune.

Anyone here have success installing it on a non-nforce board?

It'll still work. It's just a Vista "thing."
Reinstall nTune and go to the shortcuts it creates. Right click any of them and go into the Properties for the shortcut. Choose to "Run as an Adminstrator" and it'll work. Once you do that, it'll work from that point forward.
I asked the same question last week and someone told me the secret :)

Got it working. Thanks Domingo.

Wow, this card is running at 65 degrees celsius. Pretty hot. Its an BFG 8800GTS OC2 (640 mb) with gpu core running at 550mhz and gpu memory running at 850mhz (1700mhz effective). I'm guessing this is ok?

Yup, that's normal. The 8x series cards are warmer than previous models. My 8800GTX fluctuates between about 58 and 78 depending on what it's doing. If you want to cool it down, just set your fan to 100% and it'll drop 5-10 degrees.
I guess ATI owners have been running this hot for a while and it's no big deal, though.

Nah...at least l can't. Auto-detect doesn't do anything and playing with the settings seems to either hard-lock or stop responding.
At the same time, I really don't want or need to. Still, it's a shame those oh-so OC'able 7x series cards can't!

Overclock in Vista? Easy, just flash the bios to whatever speed you have determined to be stable. :p

His question DID have "with ntune" in it :)
Still, if you want to overclock, you can always go the old fashioned route!

Supposedly, nTune and the newest drivers play nice together. I don't OC my Gfx card, but I'm sure you folks would love to find out if that rumor is true.

Back