NV Silencer 5 guide for dummies (BFG 6800 GT OC version)

TehQuick said:
Excuse me,where do I say that? And please, do not threaten me, OK?

Good one, you realised what you said and edited it out of your post....but I'm leaving my quote as is. You did say it, and telling him to go screw himself was far more unnecessary and rude then anything he said. I'm not threatening you, just asking you to watch your mouth, because if you can't, there's other places you can be....[H] doesn't need that.

TehQuick said:
Excuse me,where do I say that? And please, do not threaten me, OK?

He wasn't threatening you, and he was making a comment on your style of writing.

cornelious0_0 said:
Good one, you realised what you said and edited it out of your post....but I'm leaving my quote as is. You did say it, and telling him to go screw himself was far more unnecessary and rude then anything he said. I'm not threatening you, just asking you to watch your mouth, because if you can't, there's other places you can be....[H] doesn't need that.

I won't be going into argument here what I said and what I didn't say. WHat I'd like to ask is to provide proof that I said that. Otherwise, you would be prescribing words to me which I did not post. My proof is easy - where does it say I have edited my post?

ok, i took off the silencer and re-applied it. worked wonders.

NV5 Silencer (1st try)
---------------
Idle: 56ºC
Load: 80ºC

NV5 Silencer (2nd try)
---------------
Idle: 49ºC
Load: 69ºC

used Arctic Silver for the GPU and regular thermal paste for the ram

TehQuick, explain then how I clicks on the quote "button" and was left with that peice of text...I would hope you're not accusing me of making that statement up, because I didnt.

w/e.....I really couldn't care less, I've got more important things to do then sit here and bicker with you about this.

r4d said:
ok, i took off the silencer and re-applied it. worked wonders.

NV5 Silencer (1st try)
---------------
Idle: 56ºC
Load: 80ºC

NV5 Silencer (2nd try)
---------------
Idle: 49ºC
Load: 69ºC

used Arctic Silver for the GPU and regular thermal paste for the ram
wats the diff if i use AS5 on the gpu n rams? :(

edited: anyway... i already applied the AS5 on my gpu n ram and im still using the stock hsf (using inno3d 6800gt) and i cant see the diff on the temp.... need to apply more is it?
cant wait for the Silencer to arrive soon :p

TehQuick said:
Now please remove that offensive expression u r prescribing to me.

You are more then welcome to have fun saying whatever it is that you want to say, but I'm not changing/removing/saying anything more....as I said before, this just isn't worth my time. Feel free to pursue whatever you'd like with this, but nothing will come of it.

NV5 is awesome.. my temps went down 6C at idle and 8C under load. Its also a quieter then my reference cooler. I left it plugged into the pwm power output of the video card and dont get the clicking noise lot of ppl complain about. Something I did notice is that you dont feel much air moving out the back of hte case.. I can feel the heat but its not blowing very hard at all. I know the fan is going the right way becuase if you try it reversed it wont spin at all... or so ive been told. Overall im happy and it was well worth the upgare.. used artic silver 5 on the GPU and used some ceramque on the ram sinks.. all made great contact. Thanks for this thread as reading it helped me get an idea of what im going to be looking at.

cornelious0_0 said:
You are more then welcome to have fun saying whatever it is that you want to say, but I'm not changing/removing/saying anything more....as I said before, this just isn't worth my time. Feel free to pursue whatever you'd like with this, but nothing will come of it.

LOL, when it YOU teaching others manners, its worth ur time, but when someone tries to indicate an obvious mischief on ur part, it's "not worth your time" To use ur own expression, whatever

Has anyone modded an NV5 Silencer to hold some type of high-performance fan, like an 80mm Delta or Tornado?

Would it help at all? :)

SimGuy said:
Has anyone modded an NV5 Silencer to hold some type of high-performance fan, like an 80mm Delta or Tornado?

Would it help at all? :)

You'll need to search around the forums a bit, but there was a guy on here that had modded the NV5 to rework the shroud as well as remove the stock fan with your typical case fan (was mounted outside the NV5 instead of in the shroud like the stock one is). I think he saw some minor improvements in cooling, which shouldn't be too shocking considering that the airflow coming out the back vent of the NV5 isn't particularly strong. IIRC, he knocked temps down a couple degrees more than he was getting with the stock NV5 fan.

MonkeyBoy said:
You'll need to search around the forums a bit, but there was a guy on here that had modded the NV5 to rework the shroud as well as remove the stock fan with your typical case fan (was mounted outside the NV5 instead of in the shroud like the stock one is). I think he saw some minor improvements in cooling, which shouldn't be too shocking considering that the airflow coming out the back vent of the NV5 isn't particularly strong. IIRC, he knocked temps down a couple degrees more than he was getting with the stock NV5 fan.

I also did the fan mod, but saw VERY limited gains...if any. I dropped my core temp by about 1 or 2C by attaching a 60mm Panaflo H1A to the fins of the heatsink and cutting a hole in the top of the shroud, so that I could get some more direct airflow to the fins themselves. The one mod that REALLY helped out my temps though was when I cut off those copper tabs that cool the memory and used my own ramsinks. There was a lot of measuring and alterations to be done to the shroud to allow the taller OCZ ramsinks to fit.....but it was MORE then worth it. Not only did this mod allow the entire cooler to be focused on cooling the core, but it eliminated the chance for the heatsink to be making uneven contact with parts of the card...as it very often did before.

I think the ramsink mod ended up dropping my core load temp by about 8C, and my ambient also came down a touch. Considering my memory overclock was NOT effected and it looked fricken cool I'd say it's something that'd be WELL worth your time if you've got the patience to hack through that copper base. ;)

Has anyone else had problems with the bottom of the plastic shroud coming in contact with a heatsink right near to the power connector on a BFG card? At first I thought something was really wrong with my nv5 cause there was a penny or two width between the ram and the cooler. I ended up bending all the fins on the mini heatsink near the power connector and trying it again, it ended up being a bit less distance between things, although the damn gpu was making uneven contact.

Think cutting off the RAM part of the heatsink get it to lay flat on the gpu, I might have to try that... my card seems to be pretty damn keen on overclocking.

My NV5 was also making contact with that heatsink, but I really thought nothing of it...and never saw any reasons why I should worry about it.

r4d,

What did you do differently between the 1st & 2nd attempts to achieve the much lower temperatures?

I have installed an NV5 cooler on my 6800GT & so far temperatures are almost identical to the stock Nvidia cooler. Am intending to disassemble it again, check for contact & re-apply some more Artic Silver as required.

Thanks

Acer2 said:
r4d,

What did you do differently between the 1st & 2nd attempts to achieve the much lower temperatures?

I have installed an NV5 cooler on my 6800GT & so far temperatures are almost identical to the stock Nvidia cooler. Am intending to disassemble it again, check for contact & re-apply some more Artic Silver as required.

Thanks

It mainly just has to do with the amount of compound used on the memory and/or core and how much the heatsink was tightened down.....very little is actually done DIFFERENTLY.....just more accurately.

Well I removed the NV5 from my 6800GT graphics card once again & after looking at the contact patterns I added more Artic Silver compound to the core & a couple of the memory modules but unfortunately the end result is still similar (perhaps only 1-2 C cooler).

Since I am sure that the contact is now as good as it is going to get, I am considering cutting off the memory pads from the NV5 cooler base & applying separate ramsinks as per cornelious0_0's earlier comments. I have some ICEBERQ copper BGA ramsinks (CCB-RS8) available & am considering using these - has anyone had any experience with these particular units & would they be big enough (only 9mm tall) for this purpose?

The other interesting observation I have made is that whilst the Delta T between ambient air temperature vs the core seems a bit better than the stock cooler, the ambient temperature seems higher. Maybe the NV5 shroud is trapping more heat between itself & the position on the card where the ambient temperature measurement is taken :confused: . All up the stock cooler doesn't perform too badly when compared with the much bulkier NV5.

Acer2 said:
Well I removed the NV5 from my 6800GT graphics card once again & after looking at the contact patterns I added more Artic Silver compound to the core & a couple of the memory modules but unfortunately the end result is still similar (perhaps only 1-2 C cooler).

Since I am sure that the contact is now as good as it is going to get, I am considering cutting off the memory pads from the NV5 cooler base & applying separate ramsinks as per cornelious0_0's earlier comments. I have some ICEBERQ copper BGA ramsinks (CCB-RS8) available & am considering using these - has anyone had any experience with these particular units & would they be big enough (only 9mm tall) for this purpose?

The other interesting observation I have made is that whilst the Delta T between ambient air temperature vs the core seems a bit better than the stock cooler, the ambient temperature seems higher. Maybe the NV5 shroud is trapping more heat between itself & the position on the card where the ambient temperature measurement is taken :confused: . All up the stock cooler doesn't perform too badly when compared with the much bulkier NV5.

Things are still NOT working for you, do NOT say the the stock cooler isn't too bad compared to the NV5, because they're technically nowhere close. The OCZ BGA copper ramsinks I used were only about 9 or 10mm tall, so you'd be good. Be prepared if you're using a dremel to fight with the NV5 though, it took a good while for me to cut through that fricken copper base 4 times...went through about 3 cutoff wheels doing it. ;)

Oh, and you WILL have to test fit the shroud back onto the cooler a few times, because there are going to be about 4 or 5 areas on the shroud that you're going to have to cut too, as the ramsinks are too high, and prevent the shroud from fitting properly.

Good luck with it.....I'm still not 100% sure why your temps are so "off" with the NV5, but hopefully the ramsink mod will set you right.

cornelious0_0,

I don't understand why my temperatures are so high (relatively speaking) either. I have now checked & confirmed all of the following are fine:

> Contact between NV5 heat sink & core/memory modules
> Tightened cooler as much as I dare to (any more & I think the screws would break)
> Checked direction of NV5 fan rotation
> Checked that nothing is interfering with airflow into & out of my computer case

To give you an idea, I just checked my temperatures & they are as follows:

1. Under idle - Core 62 C with ambient of 46 C
2. Under load - Core 87 C with ambient of 65 C

Mind you it is starting to get rather warmish ;) here on the East Coast of Australia with a room temperature at the moment of 27 C.

The card is clocked at 420 Mhz Core & 1130 Mhz memory.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Acer2 said:
cornelious0_0,

I don't understand why my temperatures are so high (relatively speaking) either. I have now checked & confirmed all of the following are fine:

> Contact between NV5 heat sink & core/memory modules
> Tightened cooler as much as I dare to (any more & I think the screws would break)
> Checked direction of NV5 fan rotation
> Checked that nothing is interfering with airflow into & out of my computer case

To give you an idea, I just checked my temperatures & they are as follows:

1. Under idle - Core 62 C with ambient of 46 C
2. Under load - Core 87 C with ambient of 65 C

Mind you it is starting to get rather warmish ;) here on the East Coast of Australia with a room temperature at the moment of 27 C.

The card is clocked at 420 Mhz Core & 1130 Mhz memory.

Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

That ambient temp is ridiculous....and is essentially is what's killing your temps. If your room temp is 27C then what's your case sitting at? I'm thinking that your case/card ambient temps are what's to blame, because my room temp is/was 18C, my case is open, so the case temp is like 20C, and my ambient on the card was about 30-35C fully overclocked.

Funny enough, the reported ambient temperature was lower by some 5-7 C with the stock cooler. This is why I suspect it has something to do with the NV5 cowling trapping the heat around the ambient temp sensor. Does anyone know where this sensor is located on the card?

Just performed another load test (rthdribl) with my case wide open but ambient temperatures are still being reported at 65 C. Checking the actual air temperatures in the vicinity of the card they are around 30-35 C so there is definitely a problem with the reported temperatures. Maybe even the core temperature readings are being affected by the NV5 housing :confused: .

Acer2 said:
Just performed another load test (rthdribl) with my case wide open but ambient temperatures are still being reported at 65 C. Checking the actual air temperatures in the vicinity of the card they are around 30-35 C so there is definitely a problem with the reported temperatures. Maybe even the core temperature readings are being affected by the NV5 housing :confused: .

What brand of card do you have again? I've seen this happen with other (unrelated) video cards....and it IS possible that your results are simply being thrown off by one thing or another. It might even be worth getting in touch with the cards manufacturer to see what they say about the numbers you're getting.

My card is an MSI NX6800GT-TD256, however the firmware indicates it has been manufactured by Nvidia. Physically it appears to be exactly the Nvidia 6800GT reference design.

Acer2 said:
My card is an MSI NX6800GT-TD256, however the firmware indicates it has been manufactured by Nvidia. Physically it appears to be exactly the Nvidia 6800GT reference design.

Interesting.....I don't think that the NV5 "housing" would necessarily be playing THAT large of a roll here, looks to me like the ambient simply isn't being read properly. I'd maybe give MSI a shout and see what they say, just don't tell 'em you're "trying" to use an aftermarket cooler. ;)

I was thinking of getting a NV5 cooler to replace the stock cooler on my BFG 6800 OC. However, reading through his thread I dont see how I will gain anything. Right now with the stock cooler I get 29° C ambient and 48° C core temps idle. Under load it goes to 41° C ambient and 63° C core. This is with stock clock settings using the rthdribl screen for 15 minutes.

Right now I am off to see if everything will unlock and see about some speed bumps. See if the stock cooler handles that well enough. May look into modding the stock cooler a bit to vent more air out of the case.

Kckazdude said:
I was thinking of getting a NV5 cooler to replace the stock cooler on my BFG 6800 OC. However, reading through his thread I dont see how I will gain anything. Right now with the stock cooler I get 29° C ambient and 48° C core temps idle. Under load it goes to 41° C ambient and 63° C core. This is with stock clock settings using the rthdribl screen for 15 minutes.

Right now I am off to see if everything will unlock and see about some speed bumps. See if the stock cooler handles that well enough. May look into modding the stock cooler a bit to vent more air out of the case.

Good plan, but if you end up donig the flash and/or votlage increases I would still look at the NV5...as my ambient temps were about the same as yours, and with a slightly modified NV5 I had my max load temp on the 1.4v 400MHz core down to about 54C. :cool:

I am a tad confused (installing on eVGA 6800GT). Does one still utilize the black x-shaped bracket on the back of the card? Or do we just use the rubber washers?

TIA for helping the feeble minded.

setscrew said:
I am a tad confused (installing on eVGA 6800GT). Does one still utilize the black x-shaped bracket on the back of the card? Or do we just use the rubber washers?

TIA for helping the feeble minded.

Use the washers that come with the card.

CastleBravo said:
Use the washers that come with the card.

You don't have to use ANYthing that came with the card......you get rubber grommets and 4 screws to mount the NV5 to the back of your card, and that's all you need.

cornelious0_0 said:
You don't have to use ANYthing that came with the card......you get rubber grommets and 4 screws to mount the NV5 to the back of your card, and that's all you need.

I meant the rubber washers/grommets/whatever you call them that came with the NV Silencer 5, oops. :)

CastleBravo said:
I meant the stuff that came with the NV Silencer 5, oops. :)

Hehe, it's all right.....although I suspect that there may actually be people out there trying to make use of the X-plate and somehow buggering up their install and temps somehow because of it. :rolleyes:

I have tested using the back bracket instead of the grommets on my 6800GTO. By merely switching from bracket to grommets I dropped another 4 degrees on the core idle temp. I let it run with the bracket for 2 days. Stopped it, changed to the rubber grommets and fired it up. I noticed it was 4 degrees cooler. I let it run for another 2 days and sure enough the idle temp was still 4 degrees less than with the bracket. On a side not I dropped 6 degrees on the max load temp without the bracket as well.

Is the bracket retaining heat generated from the core? Maybe
Did I put the bracket on backwards or something foolish? Perhaps
Will this be the case for everyone? Doubtful
Is it worth trying if you reused the brackets instead of washers? Why not..only takes a minute

Hopefully this might help some people who reused the bracket and did not get the results they were hoping for.

Thx for taking the time to check the differences, as I would have.....but obviously dont have the card anymore.

I wouldn't doubt if a lot of people that end up having issues with the NV5 may have actually tried to use the X-plate now that I've seen how much of a difference it can actually make.....for whatever reason. :p

Here are my actual temp results just for those interested. The reason I had done this is because as many of you know the 6800 GTO runs quite hot.

Stock Cooler:
Idle: 64
Max: 87
Ambient Idle: 48
Ambient Max: 62

NV5 w/ bracket:
Idle: 63
Max: 85
Ambient Idle: 46
Ambient Idle: 59

NV5 w/ grommets:
Idle: 59
Max: 80
Ambient Idle: 44
Ambient Max: 53

Pretty decent drops across the board without using the bracket. The max ambient has been the most surprising for me. Overall the NV5 was quite worth it to me.

Donk3y said:
Here are my actual temp results just for those interested. The reason I had done this is because as many of you know the 6800 GTO runs quite hot.

Stock Cooler:
Idle: 64
Max: 87
Ambient Idle: 48
Ambient Max: 62

NV5 w/ bracket:
Idle: 63
Max: 85
Ambient Idle: 46
Ambient Idle: 59

NV5 w/ grommets:
Idle: 59
Max: 80
Ambient Idle: 44
Ambient Max: 53

Pretty decent drops across the board without using the bracket. The max ambient has been the most surprising for me. Overall the NV5 was quite worth it to me.

Good to see it worked out for ya......and yeah, while ppl usually see a 7-10C drop on the GPU load temp....it is that ambient that really "takes a hit".....in a good way. :p

Well I have never used the "X" bracket but rather the rubber grommets (washers) that came with the NV5 cooler & actually experienced an ambient temperature increase when compared with the stock cooler :confused: .

Acer2 said:
Well I have never used the "X" bracket but rather the rubber grommets (washers) that came with the NV5 cooler & actually experienced an ambient temperature increase when compared with the stock cooler :confused: .

Then I'm gonna have to say you did SOMEthing wrong or your NV5 was not in good shape coming out of manufacturing.....because if EVERYthing is done right there's simply NO way that your ambient temps would go up.

The only thing that I can think of is if the GPU was making decent contact but the ram wasnt.....which WOULD drastically increase your ambient temps....without hitting your GPU to hard.

Back