NV4 disp dll error in Q4

lee63

Gawd
Im getting this error when running on ultra with AA on, the game crashes and system reboots. Tried running the game with 4xAA on high mode and everthing's fine, all other games work great. I have reinstalled the chipset and display drivers, used Driver Cleaner Pro. Im using 81.95 XP64 display drivers and 6.69 XP64 chipset. Could this be a bug in the game? it seem's to happen when I quicksave or when there's an autosave.

Thanx in advance

It's cuz you're running your OCZ ram at 1T probably. My Asus SLI Premium wigs out unless I game at 2T. Apparently OCZ and Asus have problems together.

Zinn said:
It's cuz you're running your OCZ ram at 1T probably. My Asus SLI Premium wigs out unless I game at 2T. Apparently OCZ and Asus have problems together.
Thanx for the reply, I will change it to 2T and see what happens
:D

Try downgrading your drivers. The dual core optimizations in 81.xx seem to have problems with some systems. I used to get blue screens of death in farcry all the time, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA nv4_disp.dll. After going back to 78.03 the problem goes away.

BTW this comes up even after a complete system reinstall. But downgrading back to the old pre 81.xx always fixes it for me.

Oh, btw, here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=747640&postcount=3

Riptide_NVN said:
Try downgrading your drivers. The dual core optimizations in 81.xx seem to have problems with some systems. I used to get blue screens of death in farcry all the time, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA nv4_disp.dll. After going back to 78.03 the problem goes away.

BTW this comes up even after a complete system reinstall. But downgrading back to the old pre 81.xx always fixes it for me.

Oh, btw, here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=747640&postcount=3
Thanx gonna try the 78.03 DLing now

Well?

I am having a similar problem and wonder if the 78.xx fixed it for you.

Zinn said:

Do you have the latest BIOS? If you are running 2 sticks, no nForce4 board should have trouble with 1T timings.

Interesting I haven't had this problem let me try again when i get home in the morning.

.::MAGE::. said:
Interesting I haven't had this problem let me try again when i get home in the morning.
It would be intresting to see what happens to rig's almost the same as mine, It seems to happen when I quicksave or autosave
:confused:

I tried this when I got home and had no issues how fast does this happen to you? Right away or while playing? I am using WinXP Pro SP2 32bit not 64 since support isn't there fully yet I wish it were though :(.

EDIT: Just for reference 6.70 chipset and 81.95 Display.

EDIT2: Have you tried uninstalling the game then deleting or cleaning it all completely off your hard drive then reinstalling? I know it's a bitch if you don't have the DVD version since you have to pop in the 5 million cd's for it. Hopefully they sell newer games with both in box or two different version hell they cost enough brand new.

.::MAGE::. said:
I tried this when I got home and had no issues how fast does this happen to you? Right away or while playing? I am using WinXP Pro SP2 32bit not 64 since support isn't there fully yet I wish it were though :(.

EDIT: Just for reference 6.70 chipset and 81.95 Display.

EDIT2: Have you tried uninstalling the game then deleting or cleaning it all completely off your hard drive then reinstalling? I know it's a bitch if you don't have the DVD version since you have to pop in the 5 million cd's for it. Hopefully they sell newer games with both in box or two different version hell they cost enough brand new.
I started the game over, and I cant get past the first autosave without it crashing, as soon as it trys to autosave it crashes. Its weird it only happens in Ultra mode with AA, with no AA its fine??? I guess I will try reinstalling the game later today.

Thanx for your help

Mabey when I added my new card & ram the game didnt like it or somthing like that :confused: I dunno

I had my old save files and settings on my old machine this was a fresh install no previous saves etc etc. I am just wondering if perhaps Q4 works like BF2 and FEAR with optimizations when you change display settings or cards? Maybe deleting that stuff or back it up first then remove it completely and see what happens? you know it's only Q4 so far so it's either a bug like the ATI one maybe? Thought they had a problem with the ATI cards doing that on Ultra too. If it is a similar problem it sounds like it's the games fault and ATI and NV have to change something due to the game.

The only difference is yours is 64bit XP and your chipset drivers are 64 bit slight difference not sure if that could be it either.

Need to find someone with the same card and 81.95's and see what OS they have and have them try.

Wow sorry to hear that didn't fix the problem lee. 78.03 really did the trick for me. With the 81.xx drivers my system is completely worthless in games.

I read somewhere that there is a problem using the 1st two SATA controllers on some NF4 mobos. try switching to the 3rd or 4th controller.

Riptide_NVN said:
Wow sorry to hear that didn't fix the problem lee. 78.03 really did the trick for me. With the 81.xx drivers my system is completely worthless in games.
Thanx for the info though

I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and it still crashes, Im starting to think is either a bug with the game or the drivers :confused:

Well it seems to happen at the first autosave at the start of the game after that everythings fine, I can quicksave anywhere in the game and no BSOD. So it looks like this is an NV driver problem or a some kind of bug in the game. "Oh well" new drivers coming out this week anyway ;)

I get the same error with CS:S - but only with high AA and/or HDR.

Edit: I also remember now I'd get it with Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Do you have the dual core patch for the game 1.05 beta 2, it can be found here http://www.gamershell.com/download_12195.shtml Since your using a FX 60 (dual core) it could be crashing because of the known dual core problems with the game. Another thing you can try is to set the afinity for quake 4 by hitting cntrl alt del and in the task list, right click the Quake 4 .exe file and choose set affinitiy uncheck cpu 1. give that a whirl.

Back