NV40 broken video processor

The problem with the chip is that its made in China.

They do not compare to USA and Japanese labor. I have gotten two 6800 NU and they both have GPU's that are scuffed up and damaged. That is the only reason you couldnt find 6800 Ultras was because the inferior Chinese labor kept messing things up.

How hard is it to make a GPU without stepping on it?

I would think it common sence that CPU usage is determinent on what type of processor you have .... therefor a faster processor equals less cpu usage. I think this problem is more of a concern for people with older processors like my 2500+. Of course if you have a 4 GHZ extreme edition P4 your CPU usage is not going to be as high. No set of drivers is going to fix this. The fact remains that the processing unit for 1080i or high end video is broke.

if you read the inquirer article fully, they say you need the nv dvd decoder...which costs 20 dollars...

So this 20 dollar decoder is going to replace the video processing functions which are displayed on the box and on the website for my BFGTECH 6800 GT. It is ignorant at best to think the card is doing any video processing when the CPU runs at 80% usage and spikes into the 90s with a 2500+.

There is something very fishy going on. I phoned BFG tech support and they told me it was a driver problem and to expect a driver fix mid to late NOVEMBER. The guy had a tech bulletin he just received in his hand. Now someone is trying to tell me there is already a driver fix in a matter of hours when Nvidia already sent a tech bulletin to BFG claiming a 1/2 month to a month for a fix ? My bet is Nvidia is just trying to save face. IT would be disasterous for nvidia it they had to RMA every one of there award wining 6800 cards. My bet is Nvidia is willing to do a lot to make this problem go away.

For thoose who say ... oh well its not a big deal ... I dont use these functions anyway so deal with it. Not everyone buys a product for the same reasons. It is egotistical to think it doesn't effect you so it effects no one else. Thats like 2 ppl buying a f150 ... one for a truck to rip around in and one as a work truck. Now the work trucks bed falls right off and the guy who bought the f150 to rip around says ... oh well i dont carry anything ... its no big deal .. suck it up.

Wait a sec, that Inq article says that the processing on the 6800 has support for mpeg2's (dvd's), then it goes on to say that the 6600 has Additional support for HD wmv's. I thought the 6800 had mpg2, wmv, and mpg4's? DOH!

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce6600gt-theory_6.html

This article clearly shows that newer drivers fix the hardware decoding (for HDTV and MPEG4) issue with 6800. However, the NV PR guy says 6800 doesn't support hardware decoding for HD WMV9, but the 6600 series does. So 'Step into Liquid' and the other HD WMV videos aren't being hardware decoded by the 6800.

So the 6800 video processor isn't really broken, they just didn't add HD WMV decoding to it's capabilities. Then again it could be NV's way of saying it's broke. ;)

I wouldn't believe everything I hear especially from the company that sells the broke product. Fact is I tried the new drivers ... and CPU usage is still up there. Nvidia is trying to pull a fast one.

If you believe that a higher model card does not have the same functions as a lower model card .... I got a bridge to sell ya. What is the "on-chip video processor" processing ? Nvidias trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Also if the 6600 supports what the 6800 does not ... then why is this absent from the product comparison chart that nvidia has displayed on its site ?

lastly in the tech specs for both 6600 and 6800 ... it does not say WMV9 decoding ... its say decoding acceleration. But it says this for both 6600 and 6800. It does not say the 6600 is any different in WMV9 decoding. To me this indicates the 6800 is at least helping to decode ...... but this is just no the case ... as teh cpu is clearly doing all the "decoding acceleration" "decoding acceleration" seems like some vapor speak if I have ever heard any.

Another important factor is that the GeForce 6 Series GPUs are completely programmable and can handle formats such as WMV9 and MPEG-4. The NVIDIA motion compensation engine can provide decompression acceleration for a variety of video formats including WMV9, MPEG-4, H.264, and DiVX. As with motion compensation for MPEG-2, the NVIDIA video engine can perform most of the computation-intensive work, leaving the easiest work to the CPU.

This is taken directly from Nvidias website

coz said:
So the 6800 video processor isn't really broken, they just didn't add HD WMV decoding to it's capabilities. Then again it could be NV's way of saying it's broke. ;)
That's exactly it. WMV decoding is broken. They removed that "feature" since they gave out the NV40 preview materials. Stupid nvidia.

If the movie plays at 30% usage on your CPU lets go with 3.6ghz I know its actually higher

and it plays on my CPU at 80% usage. Well isn't that just a simple ratio. Your processing speed is roughly double mine and your cpu usage is half. Seems pretty clear to me its your processor doing all the work.

I find it hard to believe it has to do with the drivers fixing the on-chip video processing.

OH THIS IS REAL CUTE !!!

check this out ====> http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_on-chip-video.html

Note: Certain features of the on-chip video processor will be implemented in a future NVIDIA driver release

Never said that before

So now we are hearing two different stories ... one is that it is workin in the new drivers and that WMV9 was never supported on 6800's .. but then Nvidia throws up this little note on the webste (just recently) saying it will be implemented in a future driver release ...

are we really getting the whole story ??

Some topics said it is a driver issue and this will be resolved in a driver update. Also, it is required (really ?) to get the Nvidia DVD decoder.

I really dont see how the decoder has anything to do with this.... the fact is the CPU is doing all the work and the on-chip video processing is doing nothing. Also this decoder is for video output. If you try to render 1080i on your monitor .... why would u even need the decoder ? Even if the signal is not going to a 1080i capable unit ... the CPU and GPU are still doing the processing. Well not the GPU cause it seems this part was nerfed

bonkrowave said:
I really dont see how the decoder has anything to do with this.... the fact is the CPU is doing all the work and the on-chip video processing is doing nothing. Also this decoder is for video output. If you try to render 1080i on your monitor .... why would u even need the decoder ? Even if the signal is not going to a 1080i capable unit ... the CPU and GPU are still doing the processing. Well not the GPU cause it seems this part was nerfed

This certainly seems more confusing as time goes on. Two conflicting stories....both from Nvidia.

If you use anything above the 65.76, preferably the 66.81's, you'll notice that your WMV support has been improved, and the WMV decoder is not 20 bucks, it will be free of charge when it is posted on their website.

Thing is is that it's not broken, but early revisions of the card did not have it enabled. The newer drivers + the decoder will enable it and enable it well. I love how everyone is griping, yet they're fixing the problem you're griping about.

bonkrowave said:

When the GPU cannot decode a certian script (in this case WMV) it sends it to the CPU, and then directly to the output. The decoder is a enabling function on your GPU that wllows it to read WMV scripts, thus allowing your GPU to do 90% of the work.

bonkrowave said:
Seems pretty clear to me its your processor doing all the work.
Yes, you're right. The HD WMV9 stuff isn't hardware decoded by my 6800GT, if I said (or implied) that before then I was wrong. The reason I'm getting a mere 30% on HD WMV9 playback is because Hyperthreading does a hell of a good job on the decoding. I'm usually running my P4 at 3.6GHz as well so that's why it's 30%. But newer drivers (65.xx onwards?) do fix the hardware decoding issues with the 6800 and MPEG4 + HDTV content, that's been independently verified.

DropTech said:
If you use anything above the 65.76, preferably the 66.81's, you'll notice that your WMV support has been improved, and the WMV decoder is not 20 bucks, it will be free of charge when it is posted on their website.

Thing is is that it's not broken, but early revisions of the card did not have it enabled. The newer drivers + the decoder will enable it and enable it well. I love how everyone is griping, yet they're fixing the problem you're griping about.

The DVD decoder software is already on their site. It's 19.99.

https://www.dvd.nvidiaproducts.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi.

Sure, I would love to see this fixed. I guess we'll see if someone is willing to purchase this software and try it out to confirm what you are saying. ;)

poppachocks said:
Send me some of whatever you are smoking.
Judging by your confrontational attitude you should probably smoke something and try to chill-out a bit. :)

coz said:
Judging by your confrontational attitude you should probably smoke something and try to chill-out a bit. :)

I read it as saying that newer drivers would fix the issue. Obviously that's not what you meant. No offense.

No doubt your CPU speed is helping your utilization %. :)

It will NOT work with newer drivers according to nVidia's response. Read carefully, it says the 6600 has wmv decode acceleration, it does not say the 6800 has it. We want it in the 6800 series is the point. I want a replacement card, equal or better with a working video processor, if they dont get me wmv decode acceleration on 6800GT AGP.

yeah doodman true ... the thing that I still cant get is why does nvidia say the 6600 have it when the 6800 does. I have been looking at the nvidia website ... there compariosn of features, individual features, ... nothing says the 6600 has this different feature.

sorry doodman just re-read your post .... nvidias site does say that the 6800 has decode acceleration the same as the 6600

Look that article has been posted numerous times, saying that the new drivers work. Fact is I have tried it and it doesn't make a difference.

Secondly I talked to tech supprt with BFG yesterday and he told me he just got a hardware bulletin saying the issue will be resolved mid to late november. SO there is no way these drivers fix it.

Lastly if you go on the nvidia website and go to 6800 series and go to the video processing explanation page... you will notice a note has just been added saying the on-chip processing will be fixed in a future set of drivers. This is BS because when I bought that card ... that little note was not on the website.

If Nivida can do this .... im just going to buy a scraper put an add in the paper saying full working car in mint condition. Then after someone buys it change the add to "moving parts and working engine to be added later"

I know that example is ludicris and no one would accept that .... so why are we accepting this from Nvidia.

THEY SAID THE DRIVERS WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON.

CAN YOU READ?

Geeze. The drivers you tried are not the drivers that they said will fix the issue. They are coming soon. PLEASE READ THE ARTICLE.

People are being seriously whiney over this. I won't be putting my name in if some sissyfied group of whiners tries to file a class action. Nvidia didn't have the final WMP9 spec and they are implementing the decoding NOW before there's really any good WMP9 media available.

Did your box specifically say the card enhanced WMP9 decoding? I bet it didnt. :)

PS: DVD decoding is handled by the linux drivers. :)

I guess my post was a bit unclear. What i meant to say is, nVidia's response to theinq says they have wmv decode on the 6600, but it implies it does not have it for the 6800 series. We all know that on nVidia's marketing material that it says 6800 DOES have it, and so we want it otherwise it becomes false advertisement.

THEY SAID THE DRIVERS WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON.

CAN YOU READ?

Geeze. The drivers you tried are not the drivers that they said will fix the issue. They are coming soon. PLEASE READ THE ARTICLE.

People are being seriously whiney over this. I won't be putting my name in if some sissyfied group of whiners tries to file a class action. Nvidia didn't have the final WMP9 spec and they are implementing the decoding NOW before there's really any good WMP9 media available.

Did your box specifically say the card enhanced WMP9 decoding? I bet it didnt.

PS: DVD decoding is handled by the linux drivers.

You should really quote people that way you dont piss off the whole entire audience.

Anyways. As he wrote, the drivers arent out yet. Only people to have them are people like Xbit. And unless Xbit is lying then they work fine.

Yeah im really not sure who he is trying to respond to ... but since he put no one ... I will assume it is me.

Can you read ? my post says the drivers will be out mid to late nov ....

like common .... do I really have to spell it out
And of course people who paid for the card with their own money and didn''t get mommy to pay for it or chipin are going to be upset. I would refer you back to the nvidia website which clearly defines the on-chip video processing capabilities.

And actually nvidias website does specifically say ....
Advanced Video and Display Functionality

Dedicated on-chip video processor
MPEG video encode and decode
WMV9 decode acceleration
Advanced adaptive de-interlacing
High-quality video scaling and filtering
DVD and HDTV-ready MPEG-2 decoding up to 1920x1080i resolutions
Dual integrated 400 MHz RAMDACs for display resolutions up to and including 2048 × 1536 at 85Hz
Dual DVO ports for interfacing to external TMDS transmitters and external TV encoders
Microsoft® Video Mixing Renderer (VMR) supports multiple video windows with full video quality and features in each window
Full NVIDIA® nView™ multi-display technology capability

Here's some interesting insight on the problem from Tech Report.........

One of the things we learned during that briefing was that the video processing unit in the original NV40 chip, from which the NV43 is derived, didn't quite live up to its billing. The NV40's programmable video processor, you may recall, was supposed to be a dedicated section of the GPU, distinct from the pixel shaders, capable of accelerating both encoding and decoding of advanced video formats like MPEG4 and WMV. NVIDIA told us at the time of NV40's launch that the video processing unit was unique in the GPU world, and that dedicating transistors on the chip to accelerating video processing was more elegant and efficient than using pixel shaders to handle such tasks. However, NVIDIA wasn't able to get everything working as planned in NV40 silicon, so the NV40 video processor cannot fully accelerate WMV, just MPEG2. Instead, it has to farm out encoding/decoding work to the CPU, as GeForce FX cards did.

NVIDIA also confirmed to us that NV40-based cards do "load balancing" between the video processor and pixel shaders for some video processing tasks, although we didn't get into the nuts and bolts of which computations were handled by the CPU, the video processor, and the pixel shaders. That's just for decoding, as far as I know. Anand did a nice write-up about this problem, and he said that NVIDIA wouldn't answer his questions about whether the NV40 will do any hardware encoding.

NVIDIA won't be able to fix this problem with a driver update, obviously, since the problem is in NV40 silicon. All current GeForce 6800 cards, both AGP and bridged PCI Express (NV45), are affected, and NVIDIA gave us no indication that they plan to fix the video processor silicon in a newer revision of NV40. I expect they will simply replace NV40 with a newer high-end NV4x GPU and incorporate the fixes at that time, as they've done with the lower-end NV43.

At present, even NV43-based cards can't make use of the advanced encode/decode capabilities of the video processor, because NVIDIA hasn't supplied the world with a working driver for it yet. NVIDIA has promised an updated driver and codec software layer to make this work in the relatively near future. When we get our hands on it, we plan to test CPU utilization and the like with an NV43, NV40, and competing ATI products, so we can see the real-world impact of these problems.

bonkrowave said:
Yeah im really not sure who he is trying to respond to ... but since he put no one ... I will assume it is me.

Can you read ? my post says the drivers will be out mid to late nov ....

like common .... do I really have to spell it out
And of course people who paid for the card with their own money and didn''t get mommy to pay for it or chipin are going to be upset. I would refer you back to the nvidia website which clearly defines the on-chip video processing capabilities.

Oh look, I quoted you. I didn't relaize people around here weren't smart enough to figure it out.

What precisely are you going to be doing without until mid to late november? Sample WMP9 clips? No one is actually using WMP9 to any useful extent yet, and you weren't even promised accelerarion for it when you bought the card. You were promised MPEG2 decoding.

Stop being such a whiner. You are the one who sounds like they can't stand not having it... "NOW MOMMY! I WANT IT NOW!".

coz said:
Here's some interesting insight on the problem from Tech Report.........

yes, the crux of the matter RIGHT there and nvidia REFUSES to comment on that very point...everything theyve said so far has been evasive and non-committal.

anand asked em point blank and they didnot answer
inq didnot bother to ask the right questions and just reported on nvidias canned blurb

3dMarkyMark grow up ...

Back to reality

you have no idea how I intend to use my 6800 GT (have you ever heard of Home theatre PCs)
Read the post indicating this as a hardware problem that is not fixable... common just read before jumping to conclusions
If you read my previos post which you responded too you would have noticed the rip from nvidias website stating that it was promised ... it was also promised within the press releases which were issued by nvidia (maybe some research is in order)

The fact you mommy paid for your card I can see why you dont care ... but for someone who works for there money .... getting something that is not what I paid for is very frustrating and unacceptable.(maybe some research on consumer rights as well)

oh and did you ever wonder why there are so many people worried about this ... and you are the only flamming voice with the opposite opinion ?

If you need help spelling owned ... let me know

bonkrowave said:
3dMarkyMark grow up ...

Back to reality

you have no idea how I intend to use my 6800 GT (have you ever heard of Home theatre PCs)
Read the post indicating this as a hardware problem that is not fixable... common just read before jumping to conclusions
If you read my previos post which you responded too you would have noticed the rip from nvidias website stating that it was promised ... it was also promised within the press releases which were issued by nvidia (maybe some research is in order)

The fact you mommy paid for your card I can see why you dont care ... but for someone who works for there money .... getting something that is not what I paid for is very frustrating and unacceptable.(maybe some research on consumer rights as well)

oh and did you ever wonder why there are so many people worried about this ... and you are the only flamming voice with the opposite opinion ?

If you need help spelling owned ... let me know

Spelling?

First let's look at a word you have used twice:

Common Com"mon, a. Compar. Commoner; superl. Commonest.
OE. commun, comon, OF. comun, F. commun, fr. L. communis;
com- + munis ready to be of service; cf. Skr. mi to make
fast, set up, build, Goth. gamains common, G. gemein, and E.
mean low, common. Cf. Immunity, Commune, n. & v.
1. Belonging or relating equally, or similarly, to more than
one; as, you and I have a common interest in the property.

Though life and sense be common to men and brutes.
--Sir M. Hale.
How about YOU learn to properly use the English lanuage? :)

Next, you make reference to Nvidia promising hardware WMP9 decoding but fail to point to one SHRED of proof.

I am mad at Nvidia because they didn't give me a pony. They promised me a pony. Prove they didn't, please. :)

Oh and this is just classic:

bonkrowave said:
3dMarkyMark grow up ...

Then you rattle this off:

bonkrowave said:
The fact you mommy paid for your card I can see why you dont care ... but for someone who works for there money ....

First, you should have used "your" not "you", and "their" not "there".

Beyond your SLAUGHTERING of English, and acting like a five year old, there stands the point that hardware WMP9 decoding was NOT promised (show me proof if you think otherwise, son), as Nvidia KNEW they could not deliver it at release.

Need help spelling "go back to genmay"?

doodman said:
I guess my post was a bit unclear. What i meant to say is, nVidia's response to theinq says they have wmv decode on the 6600, but it implies it does not have it for the 6800 series. We all know that on nVidia's marketing material that it says 6800 DOES have it, and so we want it otherwise it becomes false advertisement.

Actually what I gathered was that they both do, but for some reason (unknown to both nvidia and users) the drivers havn't enabled it yet... But I could be wrong. Wthe paragraph below where it says the 6600 supports WMV HD support is what I'm talking about...

To the mark boy....

First of all, you are so deep in your own stupidity, that instead of answering the problems presented to you, you resort to insulting people who are probably tired after school/work and typing quickly. Now, you have probably told your mom you're sick today so you can do your freakin english essay or something like that.

And having the name 3dMarkyMark just makes me want to kill you so much more...

Now, if you against people trying to get their money's worth after they recieve a product that does not have the features promised, and the fact that nvidia probably knew this for a long time but made no design changes in the board....

You can just go back to 7th grade.

^^^

Oh, another one. :)

Perhaps you would like to prove that hardware WMP9 decoding was promised for these cards?

Until then, you are pretty much pissing in the wind. Also, I like how you pointed out I was insulting that guy when it was he who began the insulting. I also like how you then went on to attempt insulting me with more comments about my mother and I. Where do you guys get this stuff? Oh... GenMay.

"You are such a faggot for insulting people, you faggot."

:p

3dmarkyMark ... this has been proven multiple times ....

but because you choose not to read I have included a link

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce6_techspecs.html

Nvidia Website said:
Advanced Video and Display Functionality

Dedicated on-chip video processor
MPEG video encode and decode
WMV9 decode acceleration
Advanced adaptive de-interlacing
High-quality video scaling and filtering
DVD and HDTV-ready MPEG-2 decoding up to 1920x1080i resolutions
Dual integrated 400 MHz RAMDACs for display resolutions up to and including 2048 × 1536 at 85Hz
Dual DVO ports for interfacing to external TMDS transmitters and external TV encoders
Microsoft® Video Mixing Renderer (VMR) supports multiple video windows with full video quality and features in each window
Full NVIDIA® nView™ multi-display technology capability

The underlined segment clearly says so ....
and now you have reverted to making fun of someones spelling. In my experience when one does this it is because they have no information by which to prove their point.

and systemerror is correct I am at work right now and I am typing very quickly because I am doing other things as well as posting on these fourms.

OWNED

Back