NV5 Cooler Thermal Compound

laserbeam

Limp Gawd
I've bought an NV5 Cooler for my 6800GT. There's some silicon paste delivered with the cooler. Should I use this or AS5 for installation?

I used AS5 only on the core then the regular paste on the memory....to take up for the gaps I had between the memory and the NV5.

stryder2720 said:
I used AS5 only on the core then the regular paste on the memory....to take up for the gaps I had between the memory and the NV5.

Sounds logical. Did it perform?

I used the stock stuff and it worked just fine. It's not AS5 perhaps, but it's better than $2 Radio Shack. I don't think it'd make a difference of more than a degree or two if any difference at all. My GPU (6800NU) is 10C cooler than it was stock, more in some cases, and that's good enough for me.

LoneWolf said:
I used the stock stuff and it worked just fine. It's not AS5 perhaps, but it's better than $2 Radio Shack. I don't think it'd make a difference of more than a degree or two if any difference at all. My GPU (6800NU) is 10C cooler than it was stock, more in some cases, and that's good enough for me.

Radio shack sells thermal paste? *shutters*

those renamed koss portapro's are on sale @ radioshack though!!! 19.99 hehe

i used AS5 on the core and AS3 on the memory (not wasting all my AS5 on mem chips) im at 420/1.14 and it seems to be fine with 50C idle

AS5 does wonders on my CPU compared to the generic white paste that came with it, so i would assume the same for the GPU. Anyway it ya have it you might as well use the AS5.

Ke0 said:
Radio shack sells thermal paste? *shutters*

Hey, Radio Shack compound did fine up until the current round of heatspreader CPU's...it was certainly okay on all flip-chips like the Coppermine Celeron/P3 and Athlon XP, which didn't have a lot of surace area in the first place, and usually a tight heatsink. Arctic Silver might give you 1-2 degrees cooler performance, and costs three times as much. Heck, I just upgraded a Dell for someone from a P4 1.6 to a P4 2.2; the heatsink still had one of those thin pink bubblegum pads, and even cheap heatsink compound beats those easily. It's just basic silicone-based zinc oxide thermal compound, comes in a small tube for $2, and it's easy to get on short notice.

It still works fine for non-CPU uses too, like low to mid-end gpu's. Though after using it I'm pretty much sold on AS Ceramique.

stryder2720 said:
Sure did/does.
My GT is sitting at 415mhz core/ 1114mhz memory right now and idle @ 48-50c.
um lol mine is sitting 55C idle stock @ 410/1100mhz and thats the OC the nvidia auto oc got :p, with those damned 71.84's that read hotter then they should

Ballz2TheWallz said:
um lol mine is sitting 55C idle stock @ 410/1100mhz and thats the OC the nvidia auto oc got :p, with those damned 71.84's that read hotter then they should
So did mine before I did.....

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
100_1015.jpg

mine is also on the 71.84s.

stryder2720 said:
So did mine before I did.....

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
100_1015.jpg

mine is also on the 71.84s.
wtf is that a A64 cooler moded into a NV5!? god lol that must be alot quieter then the stock nvidia cooler which is easily twice as loud as the 4xLianli case fans A64hsf and nb fan

Back