NVidia 1080 GTX

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi.

I heard the next gen of cards should be released within the next few months.

excited anyone?

We already have a primary thread for Pascal with associated hype. Not a lot has been said recently, though, because we haven't gotten any new information for a long time. NVIDIA's big press release at CES was just showing off DRIVE PX2, which is their autonomous vehicle hardware and software solution powered by Pascal.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1882102

We don't know what the final product's name will be, so I like to refer to the next gen as either GP100 or Pascal. I'm sure you'll find more info around the web if you used those search terms.

But I am excited :). The last tidbits of information that we have point to a summer release.
:::BUUUURP:::

No, not until much later when they release the Ti version.
Word has it that the big chip will be shipped first this time around.

They just dropped prices on their 900 series so I would expect a new announcement Q1 if not sooner.

Hopefully we'll finally get that elusive single-card 4K solution.

I am actually really excited. I have been using a gtx 680 for some time now and have been really wanting to upgrade. I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money on another 28nm card when the 680 was doing decent.

They just dropped prices on their 900 series so I would expect a new announcement Q1 if not sooner.

There have been no drops in price beyond maybe $20 that was only for a short time around Christmas. In fact the two cards I have purchased over the past 4 months a MSI gtx970 and a Gigabyte 980ti Gaming are now more expensive than they were when I bought them.

i will skip as i got two 980gtx running in SLI

ill wait for 1180GTX or whatever comes 2017-2018

We already have a primary thread for Pascal with associated hype. Not a lot has been said recently, though, because we haven't gotten any new information for a long time. NVIDIA's big press release at CES was just showing off DRIVE PX2, which is their autonomous vehicle hardware and software solution powered by Pascal.

Those weren't Pascal GPUs, they were Maxwell.

As a 980 owner, I welcome something new, even if I don't jump on this train. We still lack a single-card 4K solution and believe it or not, there are still plenty of games that cannot be maxed out and pull 60fps in 1080p (with 1 card) either.
Whatever this next card is, I mostly expect those things from it.

GTX A80, the road to gfx freedom.

Hopefully a worthy successor to GTX G80 which was the road to freedom 10 years ago! Almost makes me want to stand up and sing the Internationale!

We don't know what the final product's name will be, so I like to refer to the next gen as either GP100 or Pascal. I'm sure you'll find more info around the web if you used those search terms.

But I am excited :). The last tidbits of information that we have point to a summer release.
Word has it that the big chip will be shipped first this time around.

I highly doubt that. Nvidia makes so much money off all of the people that must have the best of the best when they release a new series. Their strategy has worked quite well their last two series.

Release 780/980 (best card at the time.) A couple months later release Titan/Titan X card (new best card at the time.) Then shortly after release 780ti/980ti (Within 5-10% performance of the $1k card but half the ram.)

This strategy works for them because they can get some people to buy all 3 cards or at least two of them. Buying the best of the best card continually is a bit out of my budget but I can understand how others have the constant itch to upgrade.

What excites me about new products coming out is that the older products get cheaper to a point I can actually afford them!

I highly doubt that. Nvidia makes so much money off all of the people that must have the best of the best when they release a new series. Their strategy has worked quite well their last two series.

Release 780/980 (best card at the time.) A couple months later release Titan/Titan X card (new best card at the time.) Then shortly after release 780ti/980ti (Within 5-10% performance of the $1k card but half the ram.)

....The Titans were first to release in their series. Anyway, I get what you are saying.

History is about to repeat itself Pascal is a rebranded Maxwell the one they showed at CES, you guys always forget Nvidia struggles with new nodes since they are a software company first, Radeon Technologies group are 7 months ahead of schedule with their low end and mid- high end gpus which were perfectly functioning at CES polaris 11 will battle 950 to 960/970 pascal rebrands forget about any new nvidia gpus until next year. They will release hbm+ async compute rebrands culling their overclockability

History is about to repeat itself Pascal is a rebranded Maxwell the one they showed at CES, you guys always forget Nvidia struggles with new nodes since they are a software company first, Radeon Technologies group are 7 months ahead of schedule with their low end and mid- high end gpus which were perfectly functioning at CES polaris 11 will battle 950 to 960/970 pascal rebrands forget about any new nvidia gpus until next year. They will release hbm+ async compute rebrands culling their overclockability

Running one demo in one game in a controlled environment without the ability for any journalist to touch or utilize the hardware does not mean Polaris was "perfectly functioning". It means they have it working enough for a single demo.

What excites me about new products coming out is that the older products get cheaper to a point I can actually afford them!

I am likely dumping my GTX970 as soon as AMD or Nvidia release new hardware. I suspect a lot of people will do the same and prices will tank for current what is now gen hardware.

Last edited:
....The Titans were first to release in their series. Anyway, I get what you are saying.

Ahh i think the 700 series I just assumed it came out after, but the 980/970 gtx was released 9/18/14, while the titan x was released 3/17/15, the 980ti was released 6/2/15 (according to wikipedia) so you're partially right.

Ahh i think the 700 series I just assumed it came out after, but the 980/970 gtx was released 9/18/14, while the titan x was released 3/17/15, the 980ti was released 6/2/15 (according to wikipedia) so you're partially right.

980ti is a cut Titan X....;)

700 series was an updated 600 series minus the 780ti...which was a cut down Titan, but same architecture. The 900 series was new architecture, so yes the Titan X did come later on. Still before the 980 ti though.

They skipped the 800 series so they wouldnt have to call a "refresh" to the 900 series since Pascal was on the ,distant, horizon at the time....imo at least.

Last edited:
980ti is a cut Titan X....;)

700 series was an updated 600 series minus the 780ti...which was a cut down Titan, but same architecture. The 900 series was new architecture, so yes the Titan X did come later on. Still before the 980 ti though.

They skipped the 800 series so they wouldnt have to call a "refresh" to the 900 series since Pascal was on the ,distant, horizon at the time....imo at least.
The GTX 780 was a cutdown Titan which was a cutdown 780 Ti which was a cutdown Titan Black ;). All used the GK110 die, which appeared first in the original Titan released in February 2013.

The GTX 780 was a cutdown Titan which was a cutdown 780 Ti which was a cutdown Titan Black ;). All used the GK110 die, which appeared first in the original Titan released in February 2013.

Lol, i understand in power....but as far as release, Titan came first.

oh yea...titan black was poop though. in a sense, nV cash grab.

Last edited:
So basically, same architecture since 9 months ago, and even borderline mainstream, 5-6 months ago. Considering the 980Ti OCs better than the Titan X and costs 1/2 of it, leaving us with better real world performance for 1/2 the cost.... Nvidia continues to improve.

So basically, same architecture since 9 months ago, and even borderline mainstream, 5-6 months ago. Considering the 980Ti OCs better than the Titan X and costs 1/2 of it, leaving us with better real world performance for 1/2 the cost.... Nvidia continues to improve.

If that is sarcasm...then yes.

If that is not sarcasm.....then....yes. :D

Depending on what words you pair with "improve" :p

Back