Nvidia 3D vision questions.

Reza

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking this sounds good but just had some questions about the 3D vision. Well, whats it like? Is the game projected out in front of the monitor or is it more explosions, objects and like that fly off the sides of the monitor? Is the projecting fuzzy or is it solid image? Is it worth the money?

I want to try it before buying such an expensive monitor and the glasses set but there doesn't seem to be a place anywhere close to where i live to go and test it out. I know a few people on [H] have the setup so i guess if there is someone close to me willing to make a new computer friend and let me test it out is the only way thats going to happen.

With all the 3D tvs coming out this is looking less like a fad and more like the "future" of gaming and movies but is it going to get cheaper anytime soon? I have a GTX 260, will that be enough to get good frames at 1080p 3D gaming? I heard it cuts your frame rates in half to project the image but i'm not sure thats even true.

I guess those are all the questions i had for now, thanks to anyone who reads and answers any of these questions.

R

I'm thinking this sounds good but just had some questions about the 3D vision. Well, whats it like? Is the game projected out in front of the monitor or is it more explosions, objects and like that fly off the sides of the monitor? Is the projecting fuzzy or is it solid image? Is it worth the money?
I will try my best to answer but I also recommend this place:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showforum=40

You have control over convergence and depth which allows you to make it look the way you like. You can go with either a very deep inside the monitor look, like looking through a window or you can go all out in front of you outside the monitor....most people go for a middle ground.
I try for my main character to be outside the monitor, same thing for cars...I just like my car floating outside the monitor screen :D
The image is solid and great, just like without glasses.

I want to try it before buying such an expensive monitor and the glasses set but there doesn't seem to be a place anywhere close to where i live to go and test it out. I know a few people on [H] have the setup so i guess if there is someone close to me willing to make a new computer friend and let me test it out is the only way thats going to happen.
I live in Utah just in case.

With all the 3D tvs coming out this is looking less like a fad and more like the "future" of gaming and movies but is it going to get cheaper anytime soon? I have a GTX 260, will that be enough to get good frames at 1080p 3D gaming? I heard it cuts your frame rates in half to project the image but i'm not sure thats even true.

I guess those are all the questions i had for now, thanks to anyone who reads and answers any of these questions.
This is the first time that 3D is coming full force and the fact that consoles are going 3D and tv manufactures are getting more and more 3d ready sets out in my book means this IS for good this time.
With a 260 and 1080p you will be having to find a compromise with detail levels to keep some newer games running smooth.
I have been gaming since the Ping Pong, C64 and Tandy Coco days....I have seen it all and NOTHING has been more immersive and impressive than this...if there is anything in gaming worth spending some good money on is this 3D stuff for sure. :)

I am dying for 3d surround on 3 of those alienware monitors from dell. FSX running on that would be the shiznit.

No question that if you are a serious gamer and wants to take gaming to another level, 3D Vision will do the trick.

Cliche aside, the only way (for anyone that deems themselves a semi-serious gamer) to really justify it would be as follows;

For those old enough to remember the the FIRST time you played a game from software mode onto Open GL/D3D mode usually for those that remember being quake/UT1 games.

If you can remember that feeling of awe, I'd say this from that D3D to 3D Vision, that transition surpasses the previous. Especially given how well it goes with so many current gen games (TF2/MW2/Batman AA).

I played Gears of War campaign again just to see it in 3D - too awesome.

For once, props to Nvidia. If you have the firepower in terms of computing power and you want to add another dimension to your gaming experience (pun-intended) you gotta try it.

It works, it's awesome. It's why, and prob the only reason why I have stuck with Nvidia. They did good here.

Still trying to decide to if I'm going to get those Alienware monitors and got for tripple head 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. Hate going to the smaller screen but I think I'm leaning to the Alienware setup.

I would grab a pair of red/blue glasses and go into your nVidia driver settings and turn on anaglyph 3d (or use iZ3d or DDD Tridef drivers). I used iZ3d drivers since I have an ATI card, and bought a Toy Story book that came with 2 pair of glasses but you can get them free over the internet too.

The 3d depth effect is the same on anaglyph as shutter, you'll get an idea of what it would look like if you had the full 3d setup. Of course the color is going to suck and the lenses still let some of what's meant for the opposite eye through so you see some.. ghost images I guess.

IMO, 3D gaming right now is a joke, as it was a decade ago. It's simply as if you take the image in front of you and add an illusion of depth, so that you have what looks like cardboard cutouts placed at varying distances from you. The effect is more annoying than cool, especially with games that have iffy support for it (which are plenty). I've tried 3D techonologies ever since shutter glasses were the new rage technology a decade ago. It still hasn't caught on, and there's a reason for that. NVIDIA's recent take on 3D isn't anything new, and needing a 120Hz monitor (most of which are 1680x1050, no thanks), kind of kills the experience. I doubt AMD's newest take on 3D is any better, but, as I have done in the past, I'll try it anyway. My best advice is to try out 3D before making any purchase. Check out demos, go to conventions and visit trade booths, try cheaper versions (red/blue glasses, etc.). It's a decent chunk of change to lay down, and if you aren't sure you'll absolutely love it, well, you wasted a lot of money.

IMO, 3D gaming right now is a joke, as it was a decade ago. It's simply as if you take the image in front of you and add an illusion of depth, so that you have what looks like cardboard cutouts placed at varying distances from you. The effect is more annoying than cool, especially with games that have iffy support for it (which are plenty). I've tried 3D techonologies ever since shutter glasses were the new rage technology a decade ago. It still hasn't caught on, and there's a reason for that. NVIDIA's recent take on 3D isn't anything new, and needing a 120Hz monitor (most of which are 1680x1050, no thanks), kind of kills the experience. I doubt AMD's newest take on 3D is any better, but, as I have done in the past, I'll try it anyway. My best advice is to try out 3D before making any purchase. Check out demos, go to conventions and visit trade booths, try cheaper versions (red/blue glasses, etc.). It's a decent chunk of change to lay down, and if you aren't sure you'll absolutely love it, well, you wasted a lot of money.

I completely disagree about the cardboard cutouts. All the "3D-Vision Ready" games look amazing in 3D, and the depth is excellent. It's not like a depth-mapped video, which looks very much like cardboard cutouts; when the game is rendered in 3D it can be shown in 3D very well. The only issue is when the game engine draws shit outside the z-buffer (often clouds, smoke, lens flares, etc) and the stereo driver has no idea where to place it.

My $.02 on 3D Vision is this:

Check the "3D-Vision Ready" titles. If those are games you love, or would love to go back and play, it may be worthwhile. Don't assume it will work with every game. They'll all "work" but most will have game engine issues that will be too frustrating to play. It seems to me that as 3D gains popularity (new TVs, PS3, etc) game engines will better support it and a 3D Vision setup will have a good amount of life.

Also, if you currently use a 24" display, don't go down to a 22" 3D ready display. You'll regret it.

3D vision is pretty cool. I do enjoy using it from time to time, but to be perfectly honest with you, I don't use it very often. As I've said in other threads, I find myself enjoying the 120hz monitor more than anything else about the setup.

Some games have wierd issues that distract from the actual gameplay. For example, the HUD in borderlands is the closest object to you in 3D space. That is fine while looking up close at a wall or object, but if you're vision is focusing on something off in the distance, you can't look at the hud without re-focusing your eyes on it (and thus, taking focus away from where you're looking at).

It's hard to really describe how frustrating it is if you haven't dealt with it first hand... but it's really annoying. That issue has since been fixed by 2K, but it was the first thing that came to mind. Just keep in mind that you will, no doubt, run into issues like that. Many many games play just fine and have incredible support, but others are a little buggy/glitchy.

My advice would be to buy a 120hz display (just because they rock... you can't go wrong with one as a gaming monitor) and try to find a second hand 3D vision kit on ebay or through the forums. You can probably get one for around 100.00... and if you don't like it, sell it :) (if you can't find anyone local to show you their setup)

I was able to get a decent deal on mine through a member here, but like I said... I haven't really used it too much since buying it, but I don't regret buying it either. I have a feeling that it will probably be used more for movies and such than actual gaming.

Oh, and another thing if you get them, make sure you have a backlit keyboard. Trying to find keys (if you loose your finger positions) with the glasses on is a huge pain in the ass.

I completely disagree about the cardboard cutouts. All the "3D-Vision Ready" games look amazing in 3D, and the depth is excellent. It's not like a depth-mapped video, which looks very much like cardboard cutouts; when the game is rendered in 3D it can be shown in 3D very well. The only issue is when the game engine draws shit outside the z-buffer (often clouds, smoke, lens flares, etc) and the stereo driver has no idea where to place it.

My $.02 on 3D Vision is this:

agreed. If it looks like cardboard cutouts, the 3D convergence is probably not correct for the game (or it's using 2D LOD sprites)

I've read that 3D doesn't show or do a good job showing crosshairs in shooter games and people end up disabling the crosshairs?

I've read that 3D doesn't show or do a good job showing crosshairs in shooter games and people end up disabling the crosshairs?

it all depends on the title. Some work great (Tf2, L4D2, etc), some don't. If I remember correctly, COD4 didn't work very well... you had to turn it off to keep it from giving you a seizure :D

If they don't, the drivers have a 3D friendly crosshair that you can enable to override the games native crosshair

How does the driver's version crosshair work out? Comparable to the game's?

You contradict yourself amigo...you claim to have seen it all then make comments about thing that are COMPLETELY not true.
Cardboard? The only time I see cardboard 3d effects is in crappy converted movies so that tells me that you are claiming to have tried it all based on that experience.
Try 3D vision and see for yourself that THIS is for real....racing games are amazing with real depth for the cars, FPS, flight games...you name it....after 3D there is no turning back.
Oh and I use a 60" DLP which is awesome

I haven't used it too much, honeslty. The default version I tried was sort of bulky and ugly but I think there are a few that you can cycle through. Let me know and I can post pictures later this evening if you'd like.

You contradict yourself amigo...you claim to have seen it all then make comments about thing that are COMPLETELY not true.
Cardboard? The only time I see cardboard 3d effects is in crappy converted movies so that tells me that you are claiming to have tried it all based on that experience.
Try 3D vision and see for yourself that THIS is for real....racing games are amazing with real depth for the cars, FPS, flight games...you name it....after 3D there is no turning back.

racing games in where the technology REALLY shines imo. Having depth perception really gives you an advantage.

My take on 3D vision is that we need a developer to make a game with 3D in mind. The best analogy I can think of is Avatar and Clash of the Titans.

For anyone who's seen both movies in 3D, despite both being technically "3D" movies, Clash was godamn awful and Avatar was good because Avatar was developed with 3D in mind, not upconverted 2D.

Games right now would only be upconverted 2D because there hasn't been one developed with 3D in mind from the ground up like Avatar, only a bunch of shitty Clashes.

IMO if you have a title or two you really like that was designed for 3D and it just rocks ass in 3D, then right there I'd say go for it if you've got that kind of cash burning a hole in your pocket.

Between multiple monitor setups and 3D, I'd rather have a good, properly coded 3D game. Like pepos123, I was happy with Duke Nukem 3D... until I fired up the Quake 1 demo with my Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo 1 card. To this day that was the biggest leap in graphics I've seen.

My take on 3D vision is that we need a developer to make a game with 3D in mind. The best analogy I can think of is Avatar and Clash of the Titans.

For anyone who's seen both movies in 3D, despite both being technically "3D" movies, Clash was godamn awful and Avatar was good because Avatar was developed with 3D in mind, not upconverted 2D.

Games right now would only be upconverted 2D because there hasn't been one developed with 3D in mind from the ground up like Avatar, only a bunch of shitty Clashes.

I am sorry but you are comparing completely different things.
Movies are filmed in 2D so you need to convert.
Games are ALREADY 3D, there is nothing to convert as the information is all there you just need the right way to display it. ;)

Can you name any titles off the top of your head? The last time I tried NVIDIA 3D vision was a little over a year ago with my GTX295, and I played games like L4D, Mirror's Edge, and Mass Effect. I just checked NVIDIA's site and saw that there's the new labeling "3D-Vision Ready" and there are seven games that carry it, none of which were around when I was using it. The technology could have improved, I'm not surprised, but for those other games, like I said, it wasn't anything great, especially considering the cost involved.
Also, if you currently use a 24" display, don't go down to a 22" 3D ready display. You'll regret it.
Another big reason I'm not switching to 3D anytime soon. After gaming with 4MP for some time now, there's no way I'd go with a lower resolution, and there's nothing on the market in regards to 30" 120Hz displays. If there is a solution for 60Hz monitors that's decent, I might try it out.
That's your opinion. Have fun with 3D vision. I told the OP my opinion, and for me it wasn't anything special. I also suggested that he try it out for himself so that he can develop his own before laying down the cash for it.

The fact is we have it and have tried it so we KNOW, you on the other hand have an opinion based on zero testing so hard to compare our experiences to yours isn't it?
Oh, and you bet I am enjoying it. :)

The fact is we have it and have tried it so we KNOW, you on the other hand have an opinion based on zero testing so hard to compare our experiences to yours isn't it?
Oh, and you bet I am enjoying it. :)
Did I not just say I tried it with my GTX295? Do you just stop reading someone's post the minute they don't agree with you?

Did I not just say I tried it with my GTX295? Do you just stop reading someone's post the minute they don't agree with you?

did you try it with the glasses and 120hz monitor or the red/blue version? huge difference in image quality.

did you try it with the glasses and 120hz monitor or the red/blue version? huge difference in image quality.
There was a whole $600 kit at the time actually (shutter glasses, receptor, monitor, etc.). My friend bought it when I built him a new computer and I set it up for him. I brought over my GTX 295 since he was still waiting on another GTX 260 to come in for SLI. Between the shutter glasses, the presentation in the games, and the crap monitor, I didn't find it to be a rewarding experience, especially considering the cost involved.

I had 3D back when it wasn't specific to Nvidia though I did use a Ti4200 and a 22in cart. It was a joy to behold to say the least. I mostly played Alice and Clive Barkers Undying. I think in the defense of [H] it is an eye trick and no matter how you play you can not do it day in day out it just wears your eyes down. So it's hard to sell it as a product for everybody.

No I stop reading when people start making stuff up or making some bogus claims.....all good though ;)

I had 3D back when it wasn't specific to Nvidia though I did use a Ti4200 and a 22in cart. It was a joy to behold to say the least. I mostly played Alice and Clive Barkers Undying. I think in the defense of [H] it is an eye trick and no matter how you play you can not do it day in day out it just wears your eyes down. So it's hard to sell it as a product for everybody.

Ha your brought back memories...a 4400 was my second attempt a 3D with 3dimensional glasses. The first one was Sega Master System.
I disagree on the wear you down comment.
For some people it takes longer than others and it may require a "learning" curve as it did for me during the 4400 days but with 3d vision I playing more hours than without the glasses :D

Ha your brought back memories...a 4400 was my second attempt a 3D with 3dimensional glasses. The first one was Sega Master System.
I disagree on the wear you down comment.
For some people it takes longer than others and it may require a "learning" curve as it did for me during the 4400 days but with 3d vision I playing more hours than without the glasses :D

Oh yeah, it also depends on the level of the depth you want as well. The better the depth the harder it was on my eyes.

Oh yeah, it also depends on the level of the depth you want as well. The better the depth the harder it was on my eyes.

Yes indeed. I am slowly pushing it more and more and loving it but when my wife wants to play I tune it down a bit or she does as she learned how to do so...she mostly plays the Bee Movie game lol.

I'm looking into 3D Vision too

Seems pretty tempting, I also haven't had the chance to test it in person
However I tried 3D Discover with anaglyph glasses

While the effects was cool, the red glass made my eye really soar... almost instantly

I'm guessing from what i read that color reproduction is accurate on Shutter glasses ?
Also, im really worried that i ll get headache since i couldnt use anaglyph for more than 15 min... In avatar 3D i didnt have any issue... maybe i had trouble with focus now and then on the movie but i felt fin

sorry didn't mean to hijack ur thread, but i figured what the hell :p

I'm looking into 3D Vision too

Seems pretty tempting, I also haven't had the chance to test it in person
However I tried 3D Discover with anaglyph glasses

While the effects was cool, the red glass made my eye really soar... almost instantly

I'm guessing from what i read that color reproduction is accurate on Shutter glasses ?
Also, im really worried that i ll get headache since i couldnt use anaglyph for more than 15 min... In avatar 3D i didnt have any issue... maybe i had trouble with focus now and then on the movie but i felt fin

sorry didn't mean to hijack ur thread, but i figured what the hell :p

it's much better than anaglyph. I bought a pair of 'good' anaglyph glasses a few years ago and couldn't take the ghosting and temporary color blindness after :D (seeing blue in one eye and red in the other)

color accuracy is perfect, but the image will be a little bit darker than normal

No I stop reading when people start making stuff up or making some bogus claims.....all good though ;)
Awww, someone's upset not everyone loves 3D as much as he does. It's OK, I'm sure NVIDIA loves you back.

Nah you do not have love it, just a real reason for it not some bogus cardboard comments thats all...but if it makes you sleep better at night then thats cool, its only gaming after all...there is a LOT more to life.
Peace

it's much better than anaglyph. I bought a pair of 'good' anaglyph glasses a few years ago and couldn't take the ghosting and temporary color blindness after :D (seeing blue in one eye and red in the other)

color accuracy is perfect, but the image will be a little bit darker than normal

Thx, can u comment on the soar eye i get with anaglyph ? did it happen to u ?

Btw... where i live the only 120hz monitor i can get is the Samsung 2233rz... is it still worth it ? Besides being a TN panel, is it known to having issues ?

Like your eyes are dried out kind of feeling? I did get that with anaglyph.

You can still get it with 3D vision too, to an extent. If the game starts dropping fps, you'll definitely get it. That's why nvidia made 120hz a requirement (opposed to letting people play on a regular 60hz display). Optical illusions will also mess with your eyes and cause eyestrain, like what I mentioned above with borderlands.

The samsung panel is decent. I have the viewsonic 22", which uses the same panel as the samsung, and for the most part it's a really nice display. The colors and response time is great. The contrast ratio is pretty crappy though. Dark scenes are almost impossible to see clearly at it's default settings.

I turned up the brightness on the monitor and adjusted the gamma and contrast in the nvidia CP and it helped out a lot. Honestly, my only major complaint is it's native resolution at this point. Even if you're not using it for 3D vision, a 120hz is the best gaming monitor you can get IMO. You wouldn't be disappointed as long as your system can push 120fps

Like your eyes are dried out kind of feeling? I did get that with anaglyph.

You can still get it with 3D vision too, to an extent. If the game starts dropping fps, you'll definitely get it. That's why nvidia made 120hz a requirement (opposed to letting people play on a regular 60hz display). Optical illusions will also mess with your eyes and cause eyestrain, like what I mentioned above with borderlands.

The samsung panel is decent. I have the viewsonic 22", which uses the same panel as the samsung, and for the most part it's a really nice display. The colors and response time is great. The contrast ratio is pretty crappy though. Dark scenes are almost impossible to see clearly at it's default settings.

I turned up the brightness on the monitor and adjusted the gamma and contrast in the nvidia CP and it helped out a lot. Honestly, my only major complaint is it's native resolution at this point. Even if you're not using it for 3D vision, a 120hz is the best gaming monitor you can get IMO. You wouldn't be disappointed as long as your system can push 120fps

Yeah dry, but it kinda hurts also... Only on the eye on the red glass... the one on cyan is just fine, no strain whatsoever

Im guessing im just sensitive about that

3D vision is amazing. If anyone feels the need to bash it, they probably are just bitter at the amount of money they'd have to invest in it...or it's some other way of them defending their decision to not buy it to themselves...or they just don't like it and that's fine as long as they don't try to bash it and ruin other people's potential enjoyment with lies or half truths.

But anyway I've played 3D vision for hours and hours straight with no eye strain.
It's really hard to describe how much it adds to the experience. To get an idea, try just looking at a game on your screen, then stick your hand up in front of the screen and see how it differs from the flat picture. The depth and substance 3D vision adds is similar to that. I like to adjust all of the games slightly so that everything pops slightly out of the screen. This doesn't get in the way the ui usually and it's really easy to adjust with ctrl f5 and ctrl f6.

When ati eyefinity came out I was really really tempted. I went back and forth with 2D and 3D and every time I went back into 3D it felt so much more immersive and enjoyable. Now I have 3 of the Alienware monitors and 2 480s and I can't wait until the driver comes out.

As for the samsung monitor, if it's the only thing you can get it's pretty good. If you're used to bigger screens and higher resolutions it might bother you that it's smaller and lower res but other than that it's fine.

I'm leaning that route, 3 Alienware monitors. How do that look in desktop mode? Movies for instance. Thanks!

I really enjoyed playing with 3d vision though would really like to see it in surround as well. I plan on moving to it when there are more monitors available.

Back