NVIDIA 8400gs 128mb Pci-E 16x VGA/DVI $14 shipped

Got mine today. PCI bracket is bent at an unhealthy angle, but I think I can fix it. Card itself looks fine.

Got both of mine yesterday. Install one into my HTPC and at first I thought there was a handshake problem between the card and my receiver. After a little bit of fiddling around and hooking the card up to a real computer monitor to install the drivers everything is working fine. Now I can finally use three monitors on my main rig with my crossfired 4850's!

I got mine's yesterday. I install 1 to my back up system and my system is now real slow compare to integrated graphics.
Could this vc have anything to do with?.
What driver version you guys installed?.
I put drivers 195.62. It this alright?

Gpuz is reporting:

G98
65nm
core 540mhz
mem 500mhz
sha 1300
8pp
subvendor (ASUS)
released 2008

They eithor made them or contracted someone to make them for asus for HP

But yes, they probably made them.

Got mine yesterday. I immediately placed it on my self where it will live out the rest of it's days farming dust. :D

inaudible over HDD and case. It runs 100% 24/7. Doesn't throttle b/c it doesn't need to. No noise.

At 3 feet I can hear the fan, but it blends into the rest of my HTPC's system fans. At 6 feet I can't hear the fan at all.

How loud is the heatsink/fan combo on these things?

It's not very loud, but it has a very clear high pitched buzz, like that of older CRT TV's, mine is not in a case, but sitting on a bench, so it's much more clear to me, but it's much louder than the HDD, 2 120mm fans and the one 80mm fan on the HS. In a case I am sure it would be blocked out a good bit.

[QUOTE="I'm not a crook";1035068649]Anyone OC theirs yet?[/QUOTE]

Yep. It was getting a bit toasty even at stock settings running the ATI tool test. It hit 67C and was climbing, so I killed it.

greenshot_2009-12-17_16-21-34.jpg

greenshot_2009-12-17_16-15-07.jpg

So after that I went ahead and took off the HS, which had the normal crappy pad like TIM and the HS base was VERY rough, like the ridges of a quarter, as you can see in the image below:

IMG_698098-8077.jpg

So, like any normal person I thought "LAP IT!", and so I did. You can clearly see the HS is very low in the center and took about half an hour to lap the whole thing, I stopped at 550, because I got lazy :D

IMG_697767658798.jpg

IMG_6976907890981.jpg

And after seeing much better sock temps I thought I would go about OCing.

greenshot_2009-12-17_18-09-19.jpg

greenshot_2009-12-17_18-10-25.jpg

RAM maxed out fast at just 583, core maxed at 684, I didn't touch the shaders or anything else as the HS on the poor little thing was to hot to touch, but I am fine at where it is, seeing as the HS has about no surface area to it.

In order to overclock the core, the shader clock must be increased as well. If you do not increase the shader clock, the GPU clock will stop increasing. There must be some sort of ratio involved.

I've got mine on stock cooling running at 734/1470/590!!! Not bad for $13.50 card for my mother's pc.

In order to overclock the core, the shader clock must be increased as well. If you do not increase the shader clock, the GPU clock will stop increasing. There must be some sort of ratio involved.

I've got mine on stock cooling running at 734/1470/590!!! Not bad for $13.50 card for my mother's pc.

Yes, there is a ratio.

What are your load temps at those clocks? Is that even stable?

I grabbed one for a PC I put together for my parents. It allowed me to get off the on board video and now I can overclock their E5200. Running stable at 3.15 on the E5200. Not bad for $13.50.

Found out that when I first put the HS back on (had a bit of trouble with one pin) I ended up making an air bubble in the TIM, which I found out when I removed the HS again, so I cleaned and reapplied, and got an even better drop in temps. Because of this I felt ok with upping the shader clocks even more. What's the biggest shock to me is the extra 17C I dropped off the already lowered temps.

greenshot_2009-12-18_00-46-30-1.jpg

greenshot_2009-12-18_00-38-52-1.jpg

Nice. At first I thought this thing wouldn't be able to handle 1080p streaming since MPC kept having artifacts with HD from my server. Re-installed K-lite codec pack and everything was smooth as butter.

Can't wait to build my official file server so I can use the 2nd $13 video card:)

Yes. It is the lowest Nvidia GPU with full CUDA/physx support

But good luck getting any games to run playable at any larger resolution.

Nice. At first I thought this thing wouldn't be able to handle 1080p streaming since MPC kept having artifacts with HD from my server. Re-installed K-lite codec pack and everything was smooth as butter.

Can't wait to build my official file server so I can use the 2nd $13 video card:)

I'm curious about the 1080p decoding abilities of this card and am currently waiting on my cards to ship to me.

What kind of codecs do your 1080p videos use? video bitrate?

I'm just worried that a $14 card isn't going to be capable of 12mbps H264 video...

its really more like a $40 card, and i think the real limitation is the cpu bus latency or something when paired with older cpu's... im not sure though. for $13, its something you might just want to try and report back.. i would imagine it does play high bitrate 1080p without a hitch.

its really more like a $40 card, and i think the real limitation is the cpu bus latency or something when paired with older cpu's... im not sure though. for $13, its something you might just want to try and report back.. i would imagine it does play high bitrate 1080p without a hitch.

I'm using an older 8400GS model right now and it plays 1080p video just fine, even blurays. This one shoudl be even better thanks to the Purevideo 3 support.

My older 8400GS never had an issue playing 1080p either, haven't been able to test this new one though but I imagine it'll be the same.

I'm curious about the 1080p decoding abilities of this card and am currently waiting on my cards to ship to me.

What kind of codecs do your 1080p videos use? video bitrate?

I'm just worried that a $14 card isn't going to be capable of 12mbps H264 video...

The card handles 1080p just fine. Before I reinstalled MPC, I played the videos with WMP, VLC and quicktime without any issues. Now that I have updated codecs and everything the videos play without a hitch at all. Even blu-ray ripped videos play smooth. Awesome value for a pretty decent card.

I have mine OC'd too and my max temps on load are 64C.

Back