NVidia 8800 in Mac Pro

You probably can get one running under a Windows XP boot, but I don't know if it'll boot under Mac OSX

It'll come eventually. What's the rush though? The X1900XT they offer is already really fast as it is.

DusanV said:
Why do you say that?

Yeah really, they do have the 7300 and the Quadro line in their MacPro's... And with ATI+AMD and now basically Intel+nVidia and Apple's ties with Intel, you'd think nVidia would make more of an effort to offer their GPU's to Apple users.

Recently a well known hacker released a mod to use any nVidia GPU on hacked copies of OS X on normal PC's.

While this is illegal, it is possible, and they're working on making normal PC GPU's capable of running on real macs as well. Interesting little bit of info.

I'm going to attempt this very install tomorrow in my new Mac Pro. I doubt it will work but as someone already said, the X1900 XT is a fast card.

On a side note...anyone want to buy a Core Duo iMac 20"? :p

DusanV said:
What are the chances? Apple is so slow updating video cards...

Why do you blame Apple for that? They don't make the video cards as it is completely and ultimately up to ATi or nVIDIA whether or not they design a Mac capable product. Just because Macs are now more PC friendly does not mean that a specific product will be capable of working correctly in a given mac system.

Optional87 said:
Yeah really, they do have the 7300 and the Quadro line in their MacPro's... And with ATI+AMD and now basically Intel+nVidia and Apple's ties with Intel, you'd think nVidia would make more of an effort to offer their GPU's to Apple users.

Recently a well known hacker released a mod to use any nVidia GPU on hacked copies of OS X on normal PC's.

While this is illegal, it is possible, and they're working on making normal PC GPU's capable of running on real macs as well. Interesting little bit of info.

Fact is, nVIDIA has always been reluctant to update or release products for Apple. ATi wasn't much better but they at least gave their Apple line a bone every once in awhile. Maybe things have changed since but durring the G4/G5 days, getting nVIDIA to make a Mac Edition card was like waiting for snow to fall in hell.

AppaYipYip said:
I'm going to attempt this very install tomorrow in my new Mac Pro. I doubt it will work but as someone already said, the X1900 XT is a fast card.

On a side note...anyone want to buy a Core Duo iMac 20"? :p
Eagerly awaiting your report...

Lighthammer said:
Why do you blame Apple for that? They don't make the video cards as it is completely and ultimately up to ATi or nVIDIA whether or not they design a Mac capable product. Just because Macs are now more PC friendly does not mean that a specific product will be capable of working correctly in a given mac system.

Fact is, nVIDIA has always been reluctant to update or release products for Apple. ATi wasn't much better but they at least gave their Apple line a bone every once in awhile. Maybe things have changed since but durring the G4/G5 days, getting nVIDIA to make a Mac Edition card was like waiting for snow to fall in hell.

Interesting little bit of info, thanks for that, I learn something new every day, even more so in the Apple orchard, it's wonderful here.

Lighthammer said:
Why do you blame Apple for that?
Because a single guy was able to get any PC NVidia video card to work in Intel Macs:

Project Titan

Doesn't sound like a lot of work for a multi billion dollar company (no offense to the guy that runs the project).

DusanV said:
Because a single guy was able to get any PC NVidia video card to work in Intel Macs:

All Titan and MacVidia do is make the cards usable under the OS with no acceleration. Is that all you're looking for?

Lighthammer said:

Becouse they're supplying the end product. That is their responsibility. Period.

Lighthammer said:

G5 with an GF5200 anyone? Or maybe two verions GF6600 in a later revision (along with 7800GT and a Quadro)? Should I mention PB with GF5200 as well?

why? its not like you can use dx10 or anything

stick with the 1900XT

its plenty strong to put your little video clips together or download mpegs to your ipods

Lack said:
Becouse they're supplying the end product. That is their responsibility. Period.

It's tough to supply the product when one dosen't exist that works with a particular system. How many Mac capable video cards are there compared to whats available on the PC? Previous generation Macs were lucky to see just one model of any given series of video cards and most of the time, entire generations were skipped or passed up all together. Why do you think entire communities sprang up that were dedicated to hacking PC video card BIOS in order to port those versions to the Mac? You can't hold Apple responsible for the lack of choices reguarding video cards when those choices to begin with were slim to none. Nice try though!

Lack said:
G5 with an GF5200 anyone? Or maybe two verions GF6600 in a later revision (along with 7800GT and a Quadro)? Should I mention PB with GF5200 as well?

Compared to how many on the PC side!?! Not only that but compared to ATi's offerings, it pales in comparisson. Nice try again!

Lighthammer said:
Compared to how many on the PC side!?! Not only that but compared to ATi's offerings, it pales in comparisson. Nice try again!

There's not enough of a market for any of the manufacturers to bring out their entire line of cards (or even a significant subset thereof) for Mac. All there really needs to be is one low-end card (7300GT), a midrange card or two (7600GT and X1600), a high end business card (Quadro) and a high-end gaming card (X1900XT). There's something in that range to fit every significant budget and need, so I'm not exactly sure what you're complaining about. There's currently no need for G80 cards, as Mac OS doesn't use DirectX, and nothing takes advantage of the new OpenGL features yet. However, when there is a need for them, nVidia will bring some to the market.

CEpeep said:
There's not enough of a market for any of the manufacturers to bring out their entire line of cards.
And there's never going to be enough market so long as there are two cards available...

CEpeep said:
There's not enough of a market for any of the manufacturers to bring out their entire line of cards (or even a significant subset thereof) for Mac.

Humm.. better tell nvidia that they best stop making a driver set for linux then.. Higher Mac market share than linux (granted not in the intel mac side quite yet, but is growing), and nvidia has great support for their cards on the x86 linux platform.

My guess is, since the whole x86 OS X thing is so new, it'll take some time, but within a year or two, you'll be able to go out and get any nvidia card, pop it into a Mac, and it'll work.

MarkLT1 said:
My guess is, since the whole x86 OS X thing is so new, it'll take some time, but within a year or two, you'll be able to go out and get any nvidia card, pop it into a Mac, and it'll work.

Supposing the card manufacturers ever get off their asses and start using EFI compatable products!

MarkLT1 said:
Humm.. better tell nvidia that they best stop making a driver set for linux then.. Higher Mac market share than linux (granted not in the intel mac side quite yet, but is growing), and nvidia has great support for their cards on the x86 linux platform.

Software engineering is not the same as hardware engineering. Writing a driver for Linux is not the same as designing an EFI-compatible card. If nVidia had to release separate cards for the Mac market, the selection would be even sparser than for Mac, if it even existed at all.

CEpeep said:
Software engineering is not the same as hardware engineering. Writing a driver for Linux is not the same as designing an EFI-compatible card. If nVidia had to release separate cards for the Mac market, the selection would be even sparser than for Mac, if it even existed at all.

Good point, and something i had honestly not thought about.

However, I thought (and may be very wrong about this) that the industry was moving towards EFI over the next few years. If so, you'll definitely be seeing more nVidia cards compatible with the mac.

Back